Deck Beam

jddevel

Featured Posts

noun

(nautical) a stiffening deck member supported at its extremeties by knee connections to frames or bulkheads

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition

© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins

Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012

Historical Example:

The lantern still swung from a deck beam, but the water had risen in the cabin so that his descent was prevented.

Edited by WotEver

That's a nice piece of new oak you have there on the port side. smile.png

Thank you. Made by Pete Boyce, five years ago now.

The cant on the other side is mahogany, probably dated from the late 70s, and was in good enough condition that it didn't need replacing.

Thank you. Made by Pete Boyce, five years ago now.

The cant on the other side is mahogany, probably dated from the late 70s, and was in good enough condition that it didn't need replacing.

He did a nice job. Finding a decent piece of FSC mahogany that size these days would prove a challenge.

So what's a 'back end' then?

It's the back end of the hold

And while I'm asking, Cratch is the sunken area behind the Deck Beam - so what's the area in front of it called? And which bit is the 'deck'?

The area in front of the deck beam is the deck.

Thank you Chertsey especially for the time to have taken the pictures. I also wonder viewing some of the points made whether "local" expressions or descriptions have filtered into the language. I certainly have experienced that in other walks of life.

I've always known the transverse piece as a stop beam, but I've no idea where I heard that from, I could well be wrong. Wearing my pedant's hat, modern boats don't have a cratch as such. The triangular board was known as a deckboard by working boaters whilst the lowered deck behind on modern boats is, to me, a well deck not a cratch.

Dave

technically correct but I would suggest if one were to randomly stop say 20 boaters and ask them what the cratch is of those who had heard of the word a majority would think it was the triangular vertical board which is traditionally called the deck board.

(Long sentence !!)

Edited by magnetman