possible spoon dredger - magnet find

magnetman

Featured Posts

I had this old item out of the Thames near Reading. I think it might be the "spoon" from an early spoon dredger. It seems to be rather heavy duty to be a landing net frame - but maybe that's what it is?

Its been in there a long time and its entirely hand forged as the iron laminations are visible.

Hoop size about 2 feet and pole size about an inch and a half.

This sort of thing

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=kImFBwAAQBAJ&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq=spoon+dredger+leather&source=bl&ots=U7-WJlNPH-&sig=nxEr62A7lVVm1pw5sTcJaopnlL4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbhsKBkOnOAhWBXCwKHUU9AkAQ6AEIHTAI#v=onepage&q=spoon%20dredger%20leather&f=false

post-1752-0-60715300-1472559456_thumb.jpg

post-1752-0-55742400-1472559478_thumb.jpg

Would they have had them in the days of hand forged tools? Its quite possible its a person recovery tool - any ideas about what it might have been called?

I've had a 'body drag' out before but that's a 3 tined grapple on a pole - I guess that's going to hurt if you are still alive :huh:

Thames locks have an aluminium pole with a large hook (about 2 feet diameter) rather than ring and the hook is coated in plastic.

Edited by magnetman

That's a possibility yes.

I read that early spoon dredgers were 2ft iron hoops fixed to the end of wooden poles with a leather bag attached and that one man would scoop mud out of the river and dump it in the boat. Seems very laborious but then they did dig the canals manually !

I realise what most people think of as a spoon dredger is a more complex arrangement which involves a small crane and probably a much more heavy duty 'spoon'

On the other hand I doubt a small diameter pole would be 'man enough' to deal with the weight of mud so bird catching does seem like a slightly more likely explanation !