Brand new leisure batteries going flat

Johny London

Featured Posts

so you've recharged them to the extent of 100 Ah using 2 nominal 75A alternators over a period of 2 hours, i.e. about 30% of the nominal maximum calculated by 75 x 2 x 2.16. Sounds about what I would expect.

And although thats not quite the same as my set up - thats what I expected!

But... That other 5% would take at least another 2 hours, possibly more. And as you know, if you consistently only take them to 95% then they won't last as long.

However, even Gibbo posted that batteries are a consumable item and he didn't obsess over their upkeep.

Tony

Will let you know,concisely ,just how long the other 5% takes

CT

The thing people forget is that FLA batteries need TIME to be full recharged not just BFO alternators or chargers.

No matter how big the charge source the total time to fully recharge is very similar.

The bulk phase might be shorter but the absorb will be longer.

I roared with laughter when I saw Terryb's 'greenie' post above laugh.png

It is probably best if the only people who respond to electrical posts are those who have no electrical training. It would save those who understand these weird units to sort the job out without being confused by irritating professionals.

It is probably best if the only people who respond to electrical posts are those who have no electrical training. It would save those who understand these weird units to sort the job out without being confused by irritating professionals.

:lol:

I just wish these people who know what an Amp per hour is would explain to the board properly what one is, rather than keep saying when questioned "you ought to know what we mean"!

I just wish these people who know what an Amp per hour is would explain to the board properly what one is, rather than keep saying when questioned "you ought to know what we mean"!

when you write it like that .............

Amp per hour sounds very much like an ampere-hour.

Is that a good excuse?

The difficulty is not uncommon. I frequently run into people who say "I don't understand why you can't just....." and the honest answer is "I however do understand that very well which is why you pay for my expertise, would you like me to explain at £65 per hour?" I once had a customer winge for ages about how i dragged a job out by not using plug in diagnostic equipment on a 70's mini! That got to the point where i shoved a couple of grands worth of kit in his hands and told him that if he could find the socket to plug it into it's his.

I have no problem with someone who finds it all new but is trying to learn, but some folk appear to take a perverse pleasure in saying "I don't understand all that stuff" while showing no desire whatsoever to increase their understanding, almost revelling in their ignorance.

James May recently wrote that some folk (I suspect he might have been referring to Jeremy Clarkson at the time) consider it a badge of intellectual honour in saying "I don't even know how to wire a plug." He continued that it's not exactly difficult to wire a plug and those folk aren't showing themselves to be clever; quite the opposite in fact, "they are just stupid".