By Jingo, We've Gone & Ruddy Done It!

Featured Posts

Hooray! Great News!

I've been waiting to hear which boat you got.

I think your perserverance and desire for a bargain really paid off, I think you should be proud of the price you got too - excellent, almost amazing value... no wonder you've been keeping it quiet until you got the keys! :rolleyes: She's definately a much larger more modern animal than the ex Black Prince boat I used to own, though you paid similar to what I accepted for my 47ft 1981 example nearly three years ago.

Being the sad hireboat anarak I am I do have a picture of her as Lacewing from Black Prince.... so if you'd like a copy just shout up and I will email it to you.

All the best

Dan

Edited by Dan

Brilliant news BSP.........I've just had yet another fantastic trip up the Slea. A friend who I would like to take, was maybe going to London on business. He's been busy lately, as well as hospital appointments, anyway I had an excuse to go again as I thought I had left my ratchet windlass on Sunday. In the event I hadn't, however after leaving in almost a gale, and light showers, the day got better and better. We continued as before, getting all the way to Halfpenny Toll Bridge. As it was around 3 in the afternoon when we set off from Chapel Hill everything went fairly smoothly.

We just sucked a bit of weed up the water intake which we had to clear while stopped at Halfpenny Toll, and there is now much more new green weed than even last Saturday, so definately the last trip up for me this year.

I also had the best trip up the Witham back to Southrey, getting back just before 10.00 and full darkness.

So to come in, switch this on and hear your fantastic news has just rounded off a brilliant day :rolleyes::lol::o

Great news! We wish you all the best with your new boat and the adventures ahead. Looks like you got a bargain to me. We've bought a boat today as well (see General Boating - by jingo).

Best regards

SteveE

Which marina is she from?

Sawley.

I went to have a nose and she really is a sound boat.

The soggy floor and general filth were excellent bargaining tools. But other than that, the standard hire-boat ultra low budget fit-out, and two of the biggest poo-tanks I've ever seen, there's not much wrong with her.

I thought this was a bargain boat, at the asking price, and I think they've done brilliantly in the 'bartering' process.

I suppose this proves the Yorkshire saying 'where there's muck, there's brass' :lol:

Pleased to hear you say this Carl, as there's usually some hidden problem.

So a few months and thousands later, Lisa and Kev will have an 80grand boat :rolleyes: and one that's better than some new ones.

I thought this was a bargain boat, at the asking price, and I think they've done brilliantly in the 'bartering' process.

Don't start that again!

She's still listed as 'under offer' so they obviously don't keep things up to date on their site :lol:

I'm quite pleased with myself as i'd already downloaded the pdf to add to my own list of potential boats,

so when i do finally have the money, it seems i'm looking in the right places :rolleyes:

Being the sad hireboat anarak I am I do have a picture of her as Lacewing from Black Prince.... so if you'd like a copy just shout up and I will email it to you.

All the best

Dan

Ooh - yes please - I'd love to see a photo of her as Lacewing.

Thanks, Dan

Lisa

:lol:

Congrats!

Ours was an ex black prince hire boat too and by all accounts very well looked after too. The only problems we have had is with the fitting out and making it our own, but then everyone runs into that problem!

Have fun doing her up!

Yay! Just checked the site for the first time in ages (as my fab new life does not yet include internet access) and found excellent news :rolleyes: Have been wondering how your search was getting on, especially as we seem to have started looking about the same time, luckily for some different boats :lol: Boat looks like an ace project, which is always good, for putting your own stamp on it.

I sympathise with the cat hair, I am still trying to get a slight smell of dog out of the rugs in mine, although am currently filling it with cat hair myself.*

Meg

*When I say myself, obviously I do not literally mean myself.

I have followed all your posts in the quest for the right boat with great interest (and learned a great deal in the process)

I commend you both for the hard work you have put in to find her and wish you every success in the fit out and the great times you will have together.

I have followed all your posts in the quest for the right boat with great interest (and learned a great deal in the process)

I commend you both for the hard work you have put in to find her and wish you every success in the fit out and the great times you will have together.

Thanks, Christine!

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

ohhh congratulations!!!!!

All the best for the future.... the boat looks great! and a nice blank canvas for your personal touch

have lots of fun and I look forward to reading about all your new adventures

Our house is 'still' up for sale sob sob !!

Lenny x

Thanks Knotty - and everyone.

Here's a short update:

There's a bit of carpentry being done on the boat up at Sawley at the moment, replacing some damp areas of floor. It turns out (as the great Carlt predicted) to be a relativley straightforward job as the bulkheads were dry. :)

I feel like I've been waiting a lifetime for a a quote from the engineers up there who keep promising me it's coming but it's yet to manifest itself and until they do the carpenter can't put the floor back down. :cheers: I'm chasing them up again today. But if they get their finger out, we're hoping to start bringing the boat back to our neck of the woods from the first weekend in June. :captain:

I might send Kev up there on a mercy mission to see what's been done so far - alas I'm working the whole bloomin' bank holiday myself. Typical, eh! ;)

Anyway, it's all good so far. Dead excited.

Lisa

Thanks Knotty - and everyone.

Here's a short update:

There's a bit of carpentry being done on the boat up at Sawley at the moment, replacing some damp areas of floor. It turns out (as the great Carlt predicted) to be a relativley straightforward job as the bulkheads were dry. :captain:

Aw shucks ;)

Although I would point out that, when used in conjunction with my name, the 'g' in 'great is normally capitalised. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Oooh, feeling a bit grumpy today. :cheers: So I thought I'd share my update with all you lovely people here.

After 3 weeks of being faffed about by the engineering company working on our boat, just to get an estimate together, they've only just started on the work today. :cheers: Finally!!!! The carpentry work was done through a contact of theirs over the last three weekends and has been really efficient and done well. However, like I said, the engineering company themselves have been avoiding my calls and e-mails and what one of them has told me has been contradicted by the other chap there. :cheers:

One of the jobs is to remove one of the pootanks from the boat, and now they've cut it to pieces they've discovered it's integral to the structure of the boat! Perhaps the surveyor ought to have known? Perhaps it was one of those things they couldn't tell before they started the job, who knows? :unsure: Anyhooo, it's rather late in the day to find out.

Anyway, I'm grumpy because they're now saying that the deadline for finshing the work this weekend will have to be put back again (second time... should have all been done by the first bank holiday, then by the end of May... now they can't tell me when) to give their welder time to make stringers.

That would be less of a problem if it wasn't for the fact that I can't get any other holiday from work other than the next ten days in which to move the bloomin boat from Sawley to Stratford! :cheers: Ruddy heck... it'll be September by time work quietens down and I'd be allowed more holiday. This is not boding well for time or purse. Grrr...