Magic Mushroom Issues

Featured Posts

What is the consenus on the old fashioned seventies roof mushroom vents? One of mine leaked like a busted pipe. I broke the rivets, lifted it off and cleaned it up. In very heavy rain it still may drip a bit. I notice the side drain holes are a bit small but I have tried to keep them open and siliconed everywhere else. I may have to redo it if the leak persists but they are now cleaned, sanded where there was surface rust and oxided. Other boaters claim to have struggled with these vents and had leaks.

What is the consenus on the old fashioned seventies roof mushroom vents? One of mine leaked like a busted pipe. I broke the rivets, lifted it off and cleaned it up. In very heavy rain it still may drip a bit. I notice the side drain holes are a bit small but I have tried to keep them open and siliconed everywhere else. I may have to redo it if the leak persists but they are now cleaned, sanded where there was surface rust and oxided. Other boaters claim to have struggled with these vents and had leaks.

Roof vents of any kind spoil a good roof.

Yes. I think the type referred to may be ECS Ventilites which do suffer from leakage.

Ventilite 'flying saucer' --- http://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/mobile/ecs-stainless-steel-ventilite/p8501

Completely different item to 'mushroom vents' which are usually brass or gunmetal or another copper alloy as opposed to stainless steel.

Brass mushroom vents

http://www.blackcountrymetalworks.co.uk/mushroom-vents.htm?gclid=CLCCsPjQy84CFWEq0wod9DcH1Q

And then there is the vetus type aluminum mushroom vent but less common on canal boats

https://www.mailspeedmarine.com/vetus-stainless-steel-mushroom-vents.html?594=15301&gclid=COiO_6TRy84CFUsq0wodVQ8KpQ

That should cover most angles :rolleyes:

Mine are the flying saucer type then. Is it the case they don't cope with downpours because the drain holes get overwhelmed?

The ''Sea-sure flying saucer type. Not really, its probably the internal sealing ring that is leaking. They are in two parts, the plastic part up inside the boat with the sealing ring with screws that pass through the roof into the upper part. Really designed for sailing yachts. They don't snag your ropes like the wretched mushroom vents do. The lower part needs to be unscrewed from inside the boat which will access the sealing ring, resealing it by smearing plenty of silicone on the ring and screwing it back should fix it.