Future of the Colne Valley

KroSha

Featured Posts

Not quite History and Heritage, but today's events are the future's past.

HS2 is planned to emerge near the Colne Valley Nature Reserve, straddling the GU. There are protests active to get the tunnelling extended to protect this green space inside the M25. The planned line not only bisects the Reserve, but the construction works will decimate the ecology of the local area. Massive swathes of green land are earmarked for industrial development to service the building of the line, with a large new power substation as well.

Please sign the petition at https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-the-colne-valley-nature-reserves-west-london-from-hs2

Not quite History and Heritage, but today's events are the future's past.

HS2 is planned to emerge near the Colne Valley Nature Reserve, straddling the GU. There are protests active to get the tunnelling extended to protect this green space inside the M25. The planned line not only bisects the Reserve, but the construction works will decimate the ecology of the local area. Massive swathes of green land are earmarked for industrial development to service the building of the line, with a large new power substation as well.

Please sign the petition at https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-the-colne-valley-nature-reserves-west-london-from-hs2

Am I alone in being suspicious of anything on 38degrees?

All I ever see is links to petitions asking me to sign to object to "something". There is never a full description of "something", no reasoned analysis of the pros and cons of "something", no links to other information, just a rather obviously one-sided description of the negative impacts of "something".

And as such, I imagine it carries just about zero weight with decision makers, so really rather pointless.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

All I ever see is links to petitions asking me to sign to object to "something". There is never a full description of "something", no reasoned analysis of the pros and cons of "something", no links to other information, just a rather obviously one-sided description of the negative impacts of "something".

And as such, I imagine it carries just about zero weight with decision makers, so really rather pointless.

No, you are not. Have a greenie.

Have you a plan to show how the projected HS2 will affect the nature reserve. The IWA has had a certain success with canal crossing recently.

I do, but not a digital one. I'll get hold of it for you.

So ignore it. Just don't whinge "Why have they done this?" the next time you do the GU south of Rickmansworth.

Edit:

Found a nice clear visual of the plans: http://www.colnevalleypark.org.uk/sites/default/files/HS2ThroughColneValleyMap.pdf

And the website it's published on: http://www.colnevalleypark.org.uk/about/hs2-effect-colne-valley

Edited by KroSha

Petition as much as you like, whether they have any effect is questionable. Written letters to MP's asking questions to be put to Ministers is a little better - but it needs to be followed up consistently. Petition groups will claim all sorts of 'successes' - but one needs to have full details of their efforts and any resultant changes made due to them. They are often cloaked in decisions already made - petition or no.

The other problem with all these online petitions is there isn't an option to disagree.