Solar controllers

Estella

Featured Posts

It depends whether cost is an issue. You don't need much for 150 w but depending on how much you intend adding in the future will determine the size you need. Presuming you are going to add more then make sure you get an mppt type controller. My own version is an outback 60 which is great but a bit pricey.

There are two basic types of controller,

The cheapest are PWM and give rather basic control but are good enough below about 150W.

The MPPT type cost more but offer more sophisticated control and can yield up to 30% more from a given panel especially in cloudy conditions. But you only see a big difference once you go over about 150W.

I'm using a Victron MPPT 70-15 with a 190W panel which has worked well for me for the last 3 years. It suits or purpose in that it more than keeps up with the fridge on a warm but rainy summers day.

However only has two LEDS to indicate whats going on but as it has to be installed close to the batteries so its at the same temperature I wouldn't be able to see a fancy display anyway.

Mine is limited to 200W but won't be damaged if it gets more it just self limits. So you can "overpower" that particular controller a bit because panels rarely deliver their rated output ( sun not at 90 degr, hazy sky or panel above 25C). Other controllers may not be so tolerant.

Top Cat

http://www.bimblesolar.com/offgrid/mppt

I Can second the recommendation for the Tracer MPPT, Good price for the specification and a true MPPT unlike many found on eBay.

I Have 2 a 10a and a 20a happy with both for the money paid.

You will need the MT50 meter though as it is required to set your parameters, these cannot be done from the Tracer unit itself. Theoretically these can be done via download able software but in practice you are much better of with the MT50 the MT50 also gives a decent display of the panels and controller performance.

BIMBLES Sell them at a decent price here

http://www.bimblesolar.com/offgrid/mppt

Edited to add The post above from Rickent shows the MT50 meter

Edited by reg

Victron 75/15 available on ebay for about £76.

has options for battery maintenance. protected against input overload.

will charge your batteries at up to 15A.

I looked at the victron when I was doing my own research and found it underspecified for my requirements the 75/15 has a max voltage of 75v and a max PV power, at 12v, of 200W so this leaves the OP with no room for upgrade in the future. The 100/15 similarly has a max PV power of 200w although it allows for 100 volts. Specs can be found here

http://www.wattuneed.com/en/victron-energy/735-victron-bluesolar-mppt-7510-7515-10015.html

The Tracer allows 150v across the range. Specs here

http://www.bimblesolar.com/offgrid/mppt/Tracer2215BN

If I was only ever going to use a single panel I would consider the Victron simply because of the quality of the products in the meantime the higher specced, for the money, Tracer is performing well

Edited by reg

Looking at the types available a minefield! Any recommendations for a controller for a 150w panel with a view to adding more?

Just as an aside I notice that you are a new member and may not be aware that the forum has an equipment section where these technical type questions are normally dealt with, you will find this is a regularly occurring question in that section.

Hope this helps

And welcome to the forums

I have a 30A Tracer, that I've just had to replace because I disconnected things wrongly, however if you read & follow the instructions it works fine and will run the fridge and water etc. pumps plus keep 2 phones and a computer charged from March to September without running the engine at all or using any other charger (2 x 165W solar panels Voc 42.5V, but will handle 3 of those).\

http://www.bimblesolar.com/offgrid/mppt/Tracer3215BN

What you have to do is make sure you match the panels & the charger - as long as you stay under 150 volts (e.g. 3 x 42.5V panels - in series) you're safe and sound!

(My comments relate to our 12V system which allows standard car bits like the chargers to be used. If you can handle a 24V supply the tracer is even better value.)

Plan the whole system carefully, don't just add bits at random. You don't need to buy everything at once but know exactly where you are going!

All the best ... ... ...

Edited by MyLady