The canals of Ireland.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Yes, but mainly by car and from research in the archives in Dublin. Irish interest in canals pre-dates England, with the Dublin Parliament setting up Commissioners of Inland Navigation in 1756. The Newry Canal, the UK's first summit level canal, had already been open for 15 years by then.

Boating is mainly on the Shannon, and I am sure members of the IWAI would be happy to help anyone interested in using the Royal Grand or Barrow. I visited the latter last month, and the scenery is fabulous, though water depths can be shallow.

I hear that they're very pleasant. Anyone have experience?

MP.

People friendly, countryside wonderful, cost of living expensive due to the £ to € exchange rate

Richard

I can't agree with Richard's comments regarding the relative cost of things

As this thread is Moominpapa's response to the referendum vote, mine is a response to the run on the pound

Richard

As this thread is Moominpapa's response to the referendum vote, mine is a response to the run on the pound

Yes. I sold what shares I had before disaster struck. Didn't think to buy Euros as well.......

MP.

Ireland is a beautiful place looking from the canal, the people are friendly and the food is good, things tend to be a little more expensive than here and they hate the euro.

There is more indirect taxation in Ireland, so visiting you will be helping to keep costs down for the locals!