Another Rail Freight Terminal - Gailey and Four Ashes

David Mack

Featured Posts

There is one already about 15 mile away in Telford which is under used and has brown site to expand into, It is on the Disused Military site of Donnington, - do we really need 2 in the same area when one already has the rail infastructure.

As a Telford resident, I'm Hithering and hothering about who to put in a freedom of info request as to how much freight has been handled in the Donnoington facility. As it is at the mid point of a single track, how effective can it ever be?

I am entirely in favour of carrying more freight by rail and less by road - but, if 5,000 lorries per second, or whatever, are going to use this facility, what good will it be doing? Perhaps it will enable the lorries to make shorter journeys?

Exactly. Instead of a throughout journey by road, depots such as this proposed one allow trunk haul by rail with transfer to road for final delivery.

Anyone doubting how this works should Google DIRFT at Daventry. Goods moving in over 100 trains per week for Tesco, Sainsbury, M&S, Coca-Cola, Highland Spring, etc., etc.

George ex nb Alton retired

Exactly. Instead of a throughout journey by road, depots such as this proposed one allow trunk haul by rail with transfer to road for final delivery.

Perhaps some people would view it more kindly if they used those "mechanical horses" to enact the final transfer. I remember seeing rows of them outside Sheffield Midland station when I was a wee boy.

Anyone doubting how this works should Google DIRFT at Daventry. Goods moving in over 100 trains per week for Tesco, Sainsbury, M&S, Coca-Cola, Highland Spring, etc., etc.

I always wondered what DIRFT meant. Just not enough to bother Googling it I guess. I keep seeing the signs round our way.

Daventry International Rail Freight Terminal

I always wondered what DIRFT meant. Just not enough to bother Googling it I guess. I keep seeing the signs round our way.

Daventry International Rail Freight Terminal

I had assumed that it was an adaptation of the Northern expression "too dirft to lirf at".

I am struggling to believe that 5000 HGVs per day can be correct. That's one every 17 seconds and equates to 500 containers per train. I think it perhaps should be 500 per day or 5000 per week.

JP

Yes, an extra zero seems to have slipped into the number, sadly not unusual when objectors are about. Even 500 per day is a big number and equates to 6 full trains a day.

Perhaps some people would view it more kindly if they used those "mechanical horses" to enact the final transfer. I remember seeing rows of them outside Sheffield Midland station when I was a wee boy.

Good thought but I think a Scammell 3 tonner would cough a little under a 30 tonne container! smile.png

Incidentally, I have a Bedford TA3 version of one of these residing in my garage. When I am too infirm for boating it will see the light of day.

Edited by furnessvale

Good thought but I think a Scammell 3 tonner would cough a little under a 30 tonne container! smile.png

Incidentally, I have a Bedford TA3 version of one of these residing in my garage. When I am too infirm for boating it will see the light of day.

I guess it would, yes!

Any photos of your lorry, please?

Ah yes - the (immaculate!) Bedford would originally have towed a trailer, I guess? From memory, the "mechanical horses" were three-wheelers, the earlier ones with a flat boxy nose were superseded by a later model with a rounded nose.

Ah yes - the (immaculate!) Bedford would originally have towed a trailer, I guess? From memory, the "mechanical horses" were three-wheelers, the earlier ones with a flat boxy nose were superseded by a later model with a rounded nose.

Yes, the later model with the round nose was the Scammell Scarab.

The important feature was the Scammell automatic coupling, as fitted on my Bedford. It enabled the driver to quickly change trailers without leaving the cab. The trailers had automatic landing legs as well.

Nowadays, it is all 5th wheel couplings and wind down legs slowing the process considerably.

There is one already about 15 mile away in Telford which is under used and has brown site to expand into, It is on the Disused Military site of Donnington, - do we really need 2 in the same area when one already has the rail infastructure.

Opened with a great fanfare, 'lots of jobs, lorries off the road,' etc.cost a fortune, never seen a train in it in years, drove past it couple of days ago and a few vehicles parked up there and overgrown with weeds.

Opened with a great fanfare, 'lots of jobs, lorries off the road,' etc.cost a fortune, never seen a train in it in years, drove past it couple of days ago and a few vehicles parked up there and overgrown with weeds.

Yes, pushed by the local authority rather than business. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Build the wrong depot in the wrong place because local councillors think its a good idea and you get............................Telford!

Leave it to business who know what they want and where they want it and you get...........................................DIRFT!