Sad News from the Broads

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

A few more details have emerged this morning including pictures of the boat which appears to be Doral, these are usually petrol powered boats with electric cooking.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/police_hunt_for_identities_of_two_dead_on_wroxham_broad_1_4571008

Similar vessel here:

http://www.burtonwaters.co.uk/boat-for-sale/Doral-250-FOR-SALE-5658676.html

Although unusually this one for sale has a diesel engine!

Very sad indeed, but must say that the number of boats and fire engines attending did seem excessive bearing in mind the BA nav rangers were also in attendance.
Phil

The coastguard also gave assistance.

Quite a lot of resources on the scene by the sound of it.

I suspect as others have already said that this will be another case of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

I'm not a big fan of speculating without the facts,

It is to be hoped that the family won't be reading this forum so they won't be distressed by all the rather tasteless speculation as to the cause of death.

Edited by Alan Taylor

EDP now reporting no suspicious circumstances. Male in his 60's female in her 50's. MAIB now attending to investigate.

That mooring used to be one of our favourites when our base was in that area. Saw year 2000 in from there, perfect view of boat club fireworks in the foreground and Norich area fireworks in the distance.

It is to be hoped that the family won't be reading this forum so they won't be distressed by all the rather tasteless speculation as to the cause of death.

I very much doubt that the family would be reading this forum and I also suspect they are engaged in speculation of their own, it should also be noted that by and large most posters have in one way or another offered condolences ie as in my case " very sad"

Phil

According to today's newspapers, "expert Graham Watts" is suggesting poisoning fron carbon monoxide, stating that "lethal levels of gas from engines, gas heating and BBQ's on boats could build up in cabins" and adding that "to enjoy a boat safely, thevrisks need treating with respect".

Regretfully, and obviously distressful to the family and loved ones, assumptions about all causes of death will have to be made until the real cause is established. The Coroner will expect nothing less. As with any scientific investigation you need to know what to look for - and to narrow down the many possibilities it requires some assumptions to be made.(and often sinister) in order to focus attention on things that matter - and quickly at that because some forensic evidence is fleeting and short lived.

All causes of death are obviously distressing to the family - and very much regretted - but the cause needs to be found and if it is specific to boats we need to be properly advised to enable us to take precautions to protect ourselves.

I agree that speculation about any cause that was not of accidental origin would be somewhat tactless ( tasteless as you say) and even thoughtless to make at this stage - to my mind.

But I think we all concur that it is very sad and distressing - regardless of cause..