Painting window frames

Featured Posts

Just finished painting the boat but aluminium window frames looking a bit tired and let the look down. Was thinking of painting then wondered if anyone has done this and how it worked out any tips welcome

Cheers

Treddie

I once painted some channelglaze plain aluminium window frames. I just used dulux weathershield (or may have been b&q colours outside). It stuck for a bit but started to peel off after a year or two.

You can get special aluminium primers but I don't know how good they are..

I believe Land Rovers have aluminium bodiy panels and they seem to do them in all sorts of exciting colours these days so there must be ways to do it. Perhaps they bake the paint on or something.

What colour do you want to paint the window frames?

Another option may be to polish the window frames to bring them up to the standard of the newly painted cabin sides?

My boat had the aluminium windows power coated from new, along with the aluminium mushrooms ano brass houdini hatches.

After 8.5 years the powder coating is peeling on the aluminium bits, but not the brass bits.

This year I intend to strip and repaint them using aluminium primer and TopLac paint.

I look forward to hearing your answers to get tips!

I painted mine about 8 years ago and still good. I painted quick drying black straight onto the aluminium. Aluminium has a natural sort of oily surface, so needs vigorous cleaning with white spirit first and the moment that's dry paint immediately, don't dither about.

Edited by bizzard

Why not polish them? Unless they're properly rotted and have 'fizzed up', the dull aluminium oxide will probably be very thin. A polishing/buffing kit with wheels and soaps for your electric drill is cheaply available and will be through to bright metal in a jiffy. It will also be through the paint in a jiffy if you let it run amok though, so mask up and be careful. If it's not really bad and to maintain it later, try "Belgom Alu" aluminium cleaner and protector and polish it by hand. Not only does it polish really well, but it leaves a coating which will keep the aluminium looking good for months and months.