Red light on fridge

Featured Posts

Red light flashing again on fridge , happened a couple of months ago change leisure battery's and its been ok now its back on even after 5 hours running /cruising

any ideas what to check next ?

I think the way they flash indicates the fault. but if you suspect batteries what is the voltage you are seeing on the batteries after 5 hours running. Does the fridge run OK with the engine running.

My light flashes now and again ... usually in the winter when the ambient temperature is quite low ... so I suspect it's to do with the temperature difference between inside and outside the fridge .... but that isn't much help to you .... and I could well be wrong

Number

of

flashes

Error type

Thermal cut-out of electronic unit

(If the refrigeration system has been too heavily

loaded, or if the ambient temperature is

high, the electronic unit will run too hot).

Minimum motor speed error

(If the refrigeration system is too heavily loaded,

the motor cannot maintain minimum

speed at approximately 1,850 rpm).

3 Motor start error

(The rotor is blocked or the differential pressure

in the refrigeration system is too high

(>5 bar)).

2 Fan over-current cut-out

(The fan loads the electronic unit with more

than 1Apeak).

1 Battery protection cut-out

In AEO (Adaptive Energy Optimizing) speed (The voltage is outside the cut-out setting).

I googled Danfoss BD35F - the 'usual' compressor used in 12V fridges and got the above. There's no indication of how the flashes are delivered - is there a pause between the groups on wonders.

I've only had one flash - but the fridge kept on running.

Check the size of the wiring between the batteries and the fridge. If the fridge is several meters from the power source and the wiring is too small, there will be considerable voltage drop. I had this issue with my fridge and fitting 10mm cross section cable cured it.

One single flash per second is the most common error. It means the battery voltage is appearing too low at the fridge end of the wiring. Either insufficiently charged battery or wires too thin. Often a combination of both.

Something similar is when the battery is heavily discharged and the voltage is low, and the draw from the fridge lowers the voltage further triggering the red flash. The fridge disconnects and the (no load) battery voltage recovers slightly, the fridge notices and starts again, leading to a drop in voltage as the fridge further discharges the struggling battery.

Check the voltage at the fridge supply terminals when the red light is flashing.

What Rich Lech and Mike said. I had the 'single red flash' syndrome last year and was all ready to replace our aged batteries. SWMBO insisted I talk to John who measured the voltage at the fridge, tutted a bit and fitted some decent gauge cable from end to end. We've had no bother since despite running on only two of the three 110a/h batteries. Take a hard look at feed cable!