kelvin k2 engine

llamareg

Featured Posts

I have just aquired a kelvin k2 engine and need to know as much about it as possible, if anyone out there has any manuals or diergrams showing the layout of fuel system and what ever electrics it has I would be greatfull, plus any advice ! Thanks paul

Welcome Paul.

There a TON of stuff on here about Kelvins - quite a few of us own them. Use the search facility to find loads of threads about them. Its the box in the top right hand corner of every page.

P.S. I'll give you £100 for it if you'd prefer to get a nice modern engine!

Welcome Paul.

There a TON of stuff on here about Kelvins - quite a few of us own them. Use the search facility to find loads of threads about them. Its the box in the top right hand corner of every page.

P.S. I'll give you £100 for it if you'd prefer to get a nice modern engine!

This very generous offer shows clearly how desperate you must be, wanting to add this Kelvin to your collection wink.png

Peter.

Welcome both to the forum and to the ranks of Kelvin owners.

Here's a link to start you off link

There's a great deal of expertise on this forum. Just ask.

Spares are still reasonably available.

I'm just being nosy, but where is your K2 from?

Eta:

To answer your specific questions:

I have two Lucas alternators - a 12v and a 24v - with external regulators. A very simple installation.

The fuel enters the pump direct from the day tank via the pipe with a coil.

The excess fuel is returned to the governor (right hand pipe) and any overflow leaves via a pipe on the left (you can just about see elbow).

Of course, if you want to be authentic the overflow pipe should go direct to a whisky bottle!

post-5123-0-76433500-1463216328_thumb.jpg

Edited by koukouvagia

Thanks for your rapid response everyone! The engine was in my boat when I bought it ! It need the fuel lines ,electrics and controls reinstalling, keep the pictures coming I need as much visual assistance as possible lol .....100 qud for it ? Is it worth that much ??? Lol

Hi.

Kelvins are magnificent beasts, I've had the smaller J version in our boat for years. I note that you are in the Stoke area, not far away is Dick Goble at Audley, an absolute authority on theses engines and a 100% good bloke.if you think that he could help you, I'll happily put you in touch.

Dave

Hi Jim. We turned a couple of collars at the yard, brazed them on to the air inlet then fitted electrics and a fuel line to the plugs. So far, all works well and this must be long ago now. One day, I'll have the faulty magneto that caused the problem rebuilt so that I can do a petrol start on high days and holidays, but for now I'm keeping hold of the £500 it's likely to cost!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for your rapid response everyone! The engine was in my boat when I bought it ! It need the fuel lines ,electrics and controls reinstalling, keep the pictures coming I need as much visual assistance as possible lol .....100 qud for it ? Is it worth that much ??? Lol

Definitely not. I'd be doing you a favour taking it orf yer hands guv....

(Don't tellim a Kelvin K2 in good nick would make perhaps £10k sold on the open market, guys!)

One day, I'll have the faulty magneto that caused the problem rebuilt so that I can do a petrol start on high days and holidays, but for now I'm keeping hold of the £500 it's likely to cost!

I know what you mean about magnetos. I had mine rebuilt but after a while the spark again became rather feeble. I suppose I should have removed the magneto during the winter and stored it somewhere warm.

I solved the weak spark problem by adapting an old magneto which I bought for peanuts on ebay. It still had the contacts working so I simply rigged this up to a battery and coil (suitably disguised in a brass shell case). Result nice, hefty sparks every time.

Like you I use the petrol start only on special occasions.

Mike the Boilerman, on 15 May 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

Definitely not. I'd be doing you a favour taking it orf yer hands guv....

(Don't tellim a Kelvin K2 in good nick would make perhaps £10k sold on the open market, guys!)

Coincidence 'that' particular episode was on BBC1 last night....

raymondh, on 15 May 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

Like this?

Ray

Wonderful sound as it breaks into a slow canter - does it jump??