Oxford to Reading then K & A

Colgate

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

My apologies for asking this question as I am sure it has been asked before but I just can't seem to find it on the site. I am new to boating and this site so please bear with me.

The Canal boat is 65ft Aqualine with a 42BHP engine.

This will be our first season cruising although we have done a few hours here and there. Nantwich to Ellesmere Port and back. Nantwich to Llangollen basin and back then all the way down to Banbury where we are currently at now.

Anyway, the question is: we would like to go along the Kennet and Avon to see some friends in Devizes but going on the Thames at Oxford down to reading seems a little overwhelming. I have probably watched too many U Tube videos of boats stuck in weirs but never having been down a tidal river or any river before I would just like a lot of advice first. Better to ask now than to cry later.

We are looking at going through Dukes cut and I know I need a licence but what about anchors, mooring on a river, sandbanks, tidal current ect ect

Any tips, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Colin

The tidal effected stretch of the Thames starts at the sea estuary and ends at Teddington Weir. Teddington Weir is circa 100 miles downstream from Oxford. You may deduce that tide can be ignored. ;)

The non tidal Thames in high summer can be like a lake!

Anchor/chain/warp and lifejackets are essential imo just in case.

Edited by mark99

When are you going?

Most of the time in summer the flow on The Thames is so slow you'll barely notice you are on a river.

The main differences are the locks are all manned, you'll get agoraphobia the river is so wide, and the damage to your wallet.

It really is nothing to be worried about.

The Kennet on the other hand, requires some respect. Especially the Reading area locks and when traveling downstream through Reading.

Hi thanks for the reassurance and putting me right on the tidal stretch of the Thames. We are planning to sail from Oxford to Reading end of May so will it still be like a lake or should I expect current flow?

Thanks "Hooded Man" I am sighing with relief as I type. I will of course still be nervous and wary and take my time but do you have more advice about the K and A. We are loving the canals and the challenges it sometimes throws up but still want to be safe to other more experienced boat users.

Hi thanks for the reassurance and putting me right on the tidal stretch of the Thames. We are planning to sail from Oxford to Reading end of May so will it still be like a lake or should I expect current flow?

We did exactly same trip last year (in late May too) and there was a flow but not so that could really notice. I would gen up on the K+A cos that can be a bugger in places as Mtb says.

Check this out below for specific advice re Thames moorings on your way.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=76424&hl=oxford%20to%20reading&page=2

Edited by mark99

Better ask God about that one. The flow depends on the rainfall in the preceding few weeks. Chances are it will be flowing at about 1mph but keep an eye on the weather.

When the flow is anything above totally benign, there will be 'yellow boards' or 'red boards' on the lock gates warning you. Even then, the yellow boards can broadly be ignored as they seem to put them up as soon as there is any perceptible flow at all!

(Spelling edit.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Thanks MTB. Will certainly have a word with him above just before we sail and certainly keep an eye out for the boards. We are in no hurry so mooring up for a few days until it is safe will be the way ahead. I will start reading up on the K and A as this is the main reason we are going down the Oxford Thames.

My advice would be to get some big squashy fenders too on adjustable ropes (midshipmans hitch = slid-able knot) as, in some bits of Thames where you moor, your boat can go under concrete jutting out bits which can wreck cabin paintwork for the unwary.

Unless there is a lot of rain your main hazards will be wind and wild swimmers rather than current and that's not going to trouble you too much.

Edited by mark99

Thanks MTB. Will certainly have a word with him above just before we sail and certainly keep an eye out for the boards. We are in no hurry so mooring up for a few days until it is safe will be the way ahead. I will start reading up on the K and A as this is the main reason we are going down the Oxford Thames.

The parts of the Kennet to beware of are:

1) County Lock. A vicious hidden cross current from the adjacent weir as you enter it going upstream. And easy for your stern to get caught and dragged onto the weir entering it downstream. Very important to use the lock landing under the bridge to get the lock ready, even though it is 100yds away from the lock, not try to moor on the pontoons a lot nearer.

2) The twisty bit through the arse end of Reading. Easy enough going upstream but be ready to get out of the way of any boats you meet coming the other way, careering downstream.

3) Fobney Lock. A deep lock with gate paddles above water level, capable of sinking your boat going uphill if you get too close. Also in good weather, tends to be used as a swimming pool by the local scrotes.

4) Woolhampton. Strong current across the face of the lock by the bottom gates. Open the lock and enter giving it some welly. Coming downstream, there is a swing bridge you must open before leaving the lock, or you might have trouble stopping as the flow there can be quite fast.

5) That's about it really! Although going downstream through Newbury can be exciting when there is 'some fresh on' (this means its been raining and the flow is fast.

Thanks MTB and Pathfinder 2 for all your tips and advice not to mention your quick responses. I have noted these and will certainly do more homework before we do the "rivers". I can't thank you enough for putting our minds at rest. Cheers.

The parts of the Kennet to beware of are:

1) County Lock. A vicious hidden cross current from the adjacent weir as you enter it going upstream. And easy for your stern to get caught and dragged onto the weir entering it downstream. Very important to use the lock landing under the bridge to get the lock ready, even though it is 100yds away from the lock, not try to moor on the pontoons a lot nearer.

2) The twisty bit through the arse end of Reading. Easy enough going upstream but be ready to get out of the way of any boats you meet coming the other way, careering downstream.

3) Fobney Lock. A deep lock with gate paddles above water level, capable of sinking your boat going uphill if you get too close. Also in good weather, tends to be used as a swimming pool by the local scrotes.

4) Woolhampton. Strong current across the face of the lock by the bottom gates. Open the lock and enter giving it some welly. Coming downstream, there is a swing bridge you must open before leaving the lock, or you might have trouble stopping as the flow there can be quite fast.

5) That's about it really! Although going downstream through Newbury can be exciting when there is 'some fresh on' (this means its been raining and the flow is fast.

I agree with everything else you suggest, but meeting a boat in the Reading Brewery Gut? Have they abandoned the one way traffic Lights? I have been through numerous times and never met another boat.

My wife hates rivers, and will avoid them where possible.

However we did the K & A, and therefore the Thames to Reading, and loved it. Will definitely do it again.

We did Oxford to Reading on a two week licence and took our time going down. To be honest there is more flow on the Llangolen than there was on the Thames when we did it.

Coming back however there had been lots of rain (2012 remember the floods) and we got a two day licence to clog it back upto Oxford when an opportunity presented itself. Quite a flow against us but it really caused no problems.

You'll love it. Good research and a common sense approach will see you right. Hope yoj have a great time.

Rog

I agree with everything else you suggest, but meeting a boat in the Reading Brewery Gut? Have they abandoned the one way traffic Lights? I have been through numerous times and never met another boat.

No, I meant the thin twisty bit upstream of County Lock, behind Elgar Road and out through the southern trading estates. Fascinating bit of river but narrow and tricky to pass if you meet a boat coming downstream on a bend. Especially if it's a widebeam!

(The traffic lights control the river through the The Oracle and High Bridge. The Oracle is not the arse end of Reading, it's the posh modern shopping centre where YOU are the entertainment for all the hoards of shoppers and waterfront restaurants!)

The worst part of the trip will be in Reading (!!!), there is some flow on the Kennett section and getting onto the landing stages at County lock can be a pain (haven't been there for years).

There is always some flow on the Thames - about 1 mph in summer - but you will hardly notice it, except you'll be doing 5+ mph downstream - so make allowances when getting onto a lock layby. In some places the weirs will tend to pull you towards them - si if you feel your boat going sideways just put a little more welly on and steer away from the pull. Nothing serious - but just be aware. The same happens on canals at lock bywashes to much the same extent.

Despite from what some insist on saying here, if you are stopping to moor up for a pub etc ALWAYS turn to face upstream (the river's wide enough to do a 360 deg: turn). Your approach to the mooring will / can be so gently - with your bow being pushed ever-so-gently into the bank. You'll amaze yourself and any onlookers.

Whereas locks are manned, EA is suffering from budget cuts and many some locks WILL be unmanned, but they are all electrically operated (even out of hours) - except for Kings which is a better version of a canal lock.

There are green painted cabinets at the head and tail of each lock. There are should be instructions on the side of each cabinet please read and follow them specifically. If you press and hold the raise sluices (paddles) for any length of time the whole *** system will lock out and you'll wait all night for someone to fix it. The gate buttons have to be held. Hardly intuitive.

More info from a local - if you need it...

Edit:

Download this guide for lots of info;-

http://www.visitthames.co.uk/dbimgs/Cruising%20Guide.pdf

For river conditions:-

http://www.visitthames.co.uk/dbimgs/Cruising%20Guide.pdf

There are more and more NBs on the Thames - so it can't be all that dreadful.

There are all sorts of places to visit so take your time - especially a day in Oxford to visit the colleges and museums.

Here's a useless video - hire boat going upstream (Boveney Lock) with a sometimes friendly Lockie....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NGYe4z6aZw

Edited by OldGoat

Despite from what some insist on saying here, if you are stopping to moor up for a pub etc ALWAYS turn to face upstream (the river's wide enough to do a 360 deg: turn). Your approach to the mooring will / can be so gently - with your bow being pushed ever-so-gently into the bank. You'll amaze yourself and any onlookers.

And I'm one of those who do otherwise. In fact I'm inclined when going upstream to turn to face downstream to moor as for a single hander of a 68ft boat it's easier and safer.

I Come alongside and use astern to bring the boat to a halt then step off with the stern line. Make fast then walk to the front and secure the bow.

This is far FAR easier than mooring upstream, as upstream the bow must be secured first, which involves a 68ft dash to the front from the steering position to get the bow line.

Mike the Boilerman, on 08 May 2016 - 2:44 PM, said:

And I'm one of those who do otherwise. In fact I'm inclined when going upstream to turn to face downstream to moor as for a single hander of a 68ft boat it's easier and safer.

I Come alongside and use astern to bring the boat to a halt then step off with the stern line. Make fast then walk to the front and secure the bow.

This is far FAR easier than mooring upstream, as upstream the bow must be secured first, which involves a 68ft dash to the front from the steering position to get the bow line.

Mike's experienced,

being doing it for years,

single handed,

doesn't mind jumping off over an ever increasing gap

Brute force against the current to bring the boat in.

May be OK if there's a bollard nearby to take the strain (we moor out-in-the-country)

Each to his own - try it.

The OP will / should be mooring up in Oxford (the layby above Osney is the best place to visit the city). Try getting into a slot just longer than your boat...

No criticism of Mike - obviously works for him.

What has been already said is exactly as I remember my trip from Oxford down the Thames to Reading then on the K&A to Bristol but decided to turn back soon after Newbury because as we are both getting old and frail we found we did not have the strength and agility to operate heavy swing bridges and unbalanced gates on double locks. Being unbalanced, they were hard to open/shut and once set, would swing shut/open of their own accord. And a couple of swing bridges were so stiff that we had to wait for help from passing towpath walkers.

We went at a time just after heavy rain and the fast flowing canal/river water caused steering and handling problems due to strong cross-currents where the river joined the canal below weirs and in narrow sections. There is one narrow spot in Reading as you pass through the modern shopping centre where there traffic lights on the canal to control boat movements. I don't know if they are still there. But when we passed through we had to stop at the lights to push a button to make them go green. The push button was difficult to reach from the boat especially in fast flowing water.

In a separate instance we had a serious problem that might be worth mentioning in detail because it shows how easy it is to get caught out.

We were going upstream and stopped at a lock and hand-held our boat fore and aft by ropes to await a boat coming down. The initial idea was to let them leave the lock with the gates open ready for us to go in. My wife. who was holding the bow rope asked me to go ahead to make sure they left the gates open and help them if needed. So I tied my aft rope to a bollard and went to the lock.

The problem arose as they quickly opened the paddles to empty the lock and the rush of water added to the already fast flow caught our bows. Suddenly the bows started to swing out and my wife found she was not strong enough to hold the boat against the current, and although trying to make a quick hitch around a bollard, she ran out of rope as the bows swung out very quickly - soon to be wedged across the canal because the aft end was securely tied to the bollard.

Now we always wrap the bow rope around a bollard to hold it in these circumstances.

But don't let this put you off. Good luck.

PS: One useful tip, because the Thames is so wide, you can do U turns almost anywhere. So when looking for moorings you can go past the area you want to stop, pick some possible places, and then go back to the one you like. It doesn't matter if you are pointed the wrong way when you leave - just do a U turn and carry on.

PPS: If there is a flow/current on the Thames pulling in to stop will be a lot easier if you are heading into the current. So if going downstream, and you see a place you want to stop, go past it and turn round, and come back into it.

PPPS: Some of my comments repeat those already given.

But that is because I started my reply after Mike #9, and the others came in whilst writing and I did not see them until mine was posted.

It is interesting to hear of Mike's mooring manoeuvre. It sounds logical if you are skilled and alone and with lots of practice. But I would not recommend it for newcomers to fast flowing waters.

Mike's experienced,

being doing it for years,

single handed,

doesn't mind jumping off over an ever increasing gap

Brute force against the current to bring the boat in.

May be OK if there's a bollard nearby to take the strain (we moor out-in-the-country)

Disagree. It is the gentlest, easiest way for a single hander to stop on a river. No leaping across gaps, no brute force. Even a GURL can do it!

Engage astern to bring the boat to a gentle halt so you are actually going backwards through the water but stationary parallel to the bank. Push the rudder over and ferry-glide the last foot or two until actually against the landing stage. Step over the 1" gap, loop the stern line over the bollard you previously selected to stop by, step back onto the counter and secure the line to your own bollard. Take the boat out of gear.

Now go to the bow and secure the bow line. The flow of the river will have kept the bow in to the bank or landing stage.

All in all, FAR less energetic or risky than mooring facing upstream, and no assistance required from crew (if there happens to be any).

Hi Everyone. Apologies for the delay but just been out for a walk as the weather is lovely. It is fantastic to hear all the different views and we now have a good few tips written down of places to be extremely careful and are certainly a lot happier and wiser than we were this morning.

I'll be honest, as I have never been on a river and certainly never done a 180 turn other than at a winding hole, but the thought does alarm me. My fear when turning a 180 degree on the river would be hitting a sand bank going sideways or even end up going down the river side ways. MTB, I like the sound of your manoeuvre but until I have tried both, I cannot comment.

I have mental pictures of me and the missus pirouetting all the way down the Thames. Funny but frightening. ha ha

I will certainly check out all the links and video's and we ARE certainly going to give it a try at the end of the month.

Oh, I have noticed that no-one has mentioned an anchor. I think our 65ft 19 tonne would require a 20KG+ anchor but is this only essential for the tidal Thames.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Hi Everyone. Apologies for the delay but just been out for a walk as the weather is lovely. It is fantastic to hear all the different views and we now have a good few tips written down of places to be extremely careful and are certainly a lot happier and wiser than we were this morning.

I'll be honest, as I have never been on a river and certainly never done a 180 turn other than at a winding hole, but the thought does alarm me. My fear when turning a 180 degree on the river would be hitting a sand bank going sideways or even end up going down the river side ways. MTB, I like the sound of your manoeuvre but until I have tried both, I cannot comment.

I have mental pictures of me and the missus pirouetting all the way down the Thames. Funny but frightening. ha ha

I will certainly check out all the links and video's and we ARE certainly going to give it a try at the end of the month.

Oh, I have noticed that no-one has mentioned an anchor. I think our 65ft 19 tonne would require a 20KG+ anchor but is this only essential for the tidal Thames.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

You should have an anchor on most rivers, and it should not be packed away in a locker, it should be ready to be deployed immediately. I say most rivers, we never bothered on the Aire & Calder and Calder & Hebble Navigations when we moored at Dewsbury. Our anchor was also useful on the Thames when we found problems finding a "proper" mooring. We moored a couple of times near the bank with a line round a tree at one end and the anchor out at the other end. IIRC that was in, or near, Wallingford. We found the Thames easy in summer 2013 but it was dry and very sunny. The only problem you might encounter is on Dukes Cut, make sure you know which side you have to pass the marker buoys which indicate shoals.

There was so little flow in most places that mooring upstream or downstream was not an issue, usually we decided to moor with our two side hatches facing the water rather than the bank.

When you get to a wide part of the river have a go at doing some 360's so you know what to expect when you need to do a 180.

The K&A was a doddle but you'll probably need to moor at recognised moorings unless you like walking the plank through dense vegetation. The Caen Hill flight is not to be missed, it's a lorra, lorra locks and we found it best going downhill to do the six or seven after Devizes and moor at the pub or if there's space and you arrive in the afternoon right at the top of the main flight where there's room for a couple of boats.

You will have to pay for a mooring in many spots on the Thames, if there's no obvious place to pay someone will be coming round to collect the money early the next day.

It's a fantastic trip so just relax and enjoy.