Lower Wey - Stay Awey

Featured Posts

You should not go to the lower Wey - too built up and despoiled by suburbia. Leave it to us poor Suvernors.

Part 2 soon - why you should avoid the upper Wey.

20160505_105107_zpsgxqbvqe4.jpg

20160505_110443_zpsbxzfekkk.jpg

20160505_120608_zps7a3j0lfz.jpg

20160505_125011_zpskj1vswgo.jpg

20160505_130024_zps5wglnyxg.jpg

20160505_163510_zpsvaf19cyr.jpg

20160505_194607_zpsygpfiplq.jpg

20160506_092647_zpscsbivi4r.jpg

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

You should not go to the lower Wey - too built up and despoiled by suburbia. Leave it to us poor Suvernors.

Part 2 soon - why you should avoid the upper Wey.

20160505_105107_zpsgxqbvqe4.jpg

20160505_110443_zpsbxzfekkk.jpg

20160505_120608_zps7a3j0lfz.jpg

20160505_125011_zpskj1vswgo.jpg

20160505_130024_zps5wglnyxg.jpg

20160505_163510_zpsvaf19cyr.jpg

20160505_194607_zpsygpfiplq.jpg

20160506_092647_zpscsbivi4r.jpg

Lovely picture of Papercourt Lock

Yes the Wey is awful!

CT

Edited by cereal tiller

Yes who'd want that scenery when you can have this?

Well actually you can't have the scene of the picture above as the Coventry Light has long gone, but you get the gist.

Edited by Ray T

Thanks for the warning, crossed off my to do list.

To be honest must places look good in this weather.

Including the dossy end of my garden which is full of bluebells and spring flowers which are to die for. :)

The beast bit is of course, that you leave the lock gates open when you leave a lock.

I actually got a bollocking for shutting them after me once!

It's like a dream. Opening both seems like no issue but leaving them both open is a liberating experience.

It's like a dream. Opening both seems like no issue but leaving them both open is a liberating experience.

Yes and the opposite applies when coming back onto the K&A.

Ludicrous to be expected to close up everything after passing through on a river.

Including the dossy end of my garden which is full of bluebells and spring flowers which are to die for. smile.png

When you say 'Lower Wey',do you mean the section from Thames Lock to Guildford,and the Upper Wey is the other bit from Guildford to Godalming?

Just a guess,have not heard the Navigation described in 2 parts before.

CT

Poor you :)

You have my sympathies...we're stuck on the GU with the only thing to look at are the apple and cherry blossoms, along with the bluebells & daisies (but please don't tell anyone, they'll think its a nice place to cruise or something)boat.gif

When you say 'Lower Wey',do you mean the section from Thames Lock to Guildford,and the Upper Wey is the other bit from Guildford to Godalming?

CT

Right, yes. The southern bit is the Godalming Navigation...

CT

Only said to differentiate "we ain't travelled it all yet" not on this trip anyhow. We are moored up and will return to complete. But we did complete the Wey system some time ago in a hire boat - well we got as far as the Basingstoke and, being newbies, wedged the full lengther across the entrance <whilst winding> therefore blocking off two navigations simultaneously. We got it free after me losing 1/2 stone in nervous energy. smile.png ... and then getting hooked.

Edited by mark99

Only said to differentiate "we ain't travelled it all yet" not on this trip anyhow. We are moored up and will return to complete. But we did complete the Wey system some time ago in a hire boat - well we got as far as the Basingstoke and, being newbies, wedged the full lengther across the entrance <whilst winding> therefore blocking off two navigations simultaneously. We got it free after me losing 1/2 stone in nervous energy. smile.png ... and then getting hooked.

Stay hooked..

CT

You should have doen the basingstoke.

It is the creepiest thing in the world to arrive at a lock and see a canal ranger jeep arrive in unison with you, unchain it and let you through, then chain it up afterwards. Then have the same thing happen at the next lock, and the next... and the next.....

It is the creepiest thing in the world to arrive at a lock and see a canal ranger jeep arrive in unison with you, unchain it and let you through, then chain it up afterwards. Then have the same thing happen at the next lock, and the next... and the next.....

He may have thought that your A.S.B.O. was not yet expired?

CT

Watch this space. We are lurking around this area for a while yet. I like the fact I can nearly walk home.