Haven't got a mooring?

Yamanx

Featured Posts

What is the argument about payment? I dunno, but for me this is only a financial issue in one way.

"Look" says the man from BW, "we should put visitor moorings in this popular place".

Lots of OUR money is spent on said moorings.

"Look" say the wonderful colourful and cherished free spirits, "a place to live", and duly move in.

Result lots of our money spent, still no visitor moorings.

Some folks are upset by the "lots of our money spent" some by the "still no visitor moorings" and some by NASTY people complaining about the wonderful colourful and cherished free spirits who are only doing what's right with what's theirs.

Choose your moan!

Paying for a licence is essential. But if there are no mooring fee's where you want to moor, then why not stay there. There aren't enough marinas, or official long term moorings, so why not create our own?

Does squatters rights apply to a mooring?

NO

Because eventually the whole system would just become gridlocked if there was no decent mooring policy

before you say anything about this comment above

Yes we do live on our boat, on a licenced towpath mooring and a full length boat ( = bloo** expensive) for bu**er all

this is due to work constraints more than anything, in the summer we do cruise a lot and commute into work from all over , we try hard not to overstay on designated mooring sites ( 24/48 hr) without trying to contact the local warden .

we do have to choose our mooring spots carefully for depth of water and length

The last time we went up to Rickmansworth there were boats still moored on 14 day moorings that have been there for in excess of 3 years ! along with their bits all over the towpath

I do not have a problem with linear moorings but I do have a problem with P**S takers

NO

Because eventually the whole system would just become gridlocked if there was no decent mooring policy

before you say anything about this comment above

Yes we do live on our boat, on a licenced towpath mooring and a full length boat ( = bloo** expensive) for bu**er all

this is due to work constraints more than anything, in the summer we do cruise a lot and commute into work from all over , we try hard not to overstay on designated mooring sites ( 24/48 hr) without trying to contact the local warden .

we do have to choose our mooring spots carefully for depth of water and length

The last time we went up to Rickmansworth there were boats still moored on 14 day moorings that have been there for in excess of 3 years ! along with their bits all over the towpath

I do not have a problem with linear moorings but I do have a problem with P**S takers

but there is no way of telling if they are P**S makers, and we have to assume that BW are doing their job.

I on the other hand would slow down, moor up and see if the occupant is ok. Has he broken down and needs tools, has he fallen ill or has he succumbed to CO and died. I'd try to help. I'd rather be me

Might not the occupant consider you a net twitching busybody for not minding your own business? :)

but there is no way of telling if they are P**S makers, and we have to assume that BW are doing their job.

Bones when you see 04/05 and 06 Licences in the window for those who acatualy display anything at all.enough scrap on the towpath to make Harold Steptoe a happy man and a BW patrol officer who say we do not have the resources to deal with every problem...yes I do get the cob on

We currently have a boat moored around the the corner from us who have brought the boat , not got a mooring and has said they will stay on the 14 day moorings unit BW decide to give them the mooring they want! ( not what is vacant in the area ) because of family commitments etc

It's this "up yours " attitude that gets me into this mood

Sorry Bones this rant was and is not aimed at you, just me letting off steam !

Edited by Baldock

Bones when you see 04/05 and 06 Licences in the window for those who acatualy display anything at all.enough scrap on the towpath to make Harold Steptoe a happy man and a BW patrol officer who say we do not have the resources to deal with every problem...yes I do get the cob on

We currently have a boat moored around the the corner from us who have brought the boat , not got a mooring and has said they will stay on the 14 day moorings unit BW decide to give them the mooring they want! ( not what is vacant in the area ) because of family commitments etc

It's this "up yours " attitude that gets me into this mood

Sorry Bones this rant was and is not aimed at you, just me letting off steam !

It hadn't occured to me that it even might be!!!

I don't think I advocate anything particularly, I am just thankful that I am in the position I am. I would rather it was with a cheaper mooring, but rather is something we can all say.

But you display your licence I assume?

No I don't (see other posts about this).

Might not the occupant consider you a net twitching busybody for not minding your own business? :)

Possibly, but I'd know I'd done no harm, and if I was told to b*****r off then I'd b****r off. :)

It hadn't occured to me that it even might be!!!

Good pheww :)

I don't think I advocate anything particularly, I am just thankful that I am in the position I am. I would rather it was with a cheaper mooring, but rather is something we can all say.

I agree Bones we would like topay less as well but "market forces" I think is the current buzz word dictate the prices

I just object to people mooring 180 foot away paying b***er all

I must go and take one of my tablets ...

I agree Bones we would like topay less as well but "market forces" I think is the current buzz word dictate the prices

I just object to people mooring 180 foot away paying b***er all

I must go and take one of my tablets ...

If I moor 180ft away and pay you would that be ok?

edit - that would be a serious question were I not moving to the dreary spires.

Edited by Bones

I will leave this debate now because it's another unresolvable one. But with just one more point. If you see a boat that has been moored in the same place for too long, you will speed up, take their number and report them to BW, mayalld.

No, I will slow down sufficiently to avoid causing inconvenience to innocent parties. I will report the boat to BW.

NB, this applies only to boats that are to my certain knowledge taking the piss. Boats that may or may not be OK are a different matter.

I on the other hand would slow down, moor up and see if the occupant is ok. Has he broken down and needs tools, has he fallen ill or has he succumbed to CO and died. I'd try to help. I'd rather be me.
And you accuse me of net twitching!

Rubbish!

Such an elegant rebuttal.

Care to explain why it is rubbish?

If I moor 180ft away and pay you would that be ok?

edit - that would be a serious question were I not moving to the dreary spires.

If there was space on the Authorisedmoorings Bones you would be very welcome, but as always the situation is too many boats NOT enough mooring...( or is it Too many boats and not enough people wanting to pay for a mooring )

As carlt said

QUOTE(carlt @ May 1 2007, 03:10 PM)

I will leave this debate now because it's another unresolvable one.

This is an unresolvable issue at the present time...

And you accuse me of net twitching!

There's a difference between caring and sneering condemnation. I'm thinking about the person, you're thinking about your wallet.

Care to explain why it is rubbish?

No I think I've covered it to my satisfaction and will never cover it to yours.

I'm all in favour of a bit of healthy debate, but this is ridiculous!

It's sad that a few people can be so nasty.

I read another forum regularly - www.paraglidingforum.com - and the people on there have good discussions about the current issues in paragliding without offending anybody, without putting people down, without being condescending, and so on. On this forum however, I often end up feeling quite angry after reading through a few posts. Shame really, because it can be a great place to share useful information and discussion.

Ah well.

I'm all in favour of a bit of healthy debate, but this is ridiculous!

It's sad that a few people can be so nasty.

I read another forum regularly - www.paraglidingforum.com - and the people on there have good discussions about the current issues in paragliding without offending anybody, without putting people down, without being condescending, and so on. On this forum however, I often end up feeling quite angry after reading through a few posts. Shame really, because it can be a great place to share useful information and discussion.

Ah well.

I apologise perfusely in that case. I am so outrageously dim, and feeling so very thick skinned today that I hadn't intended to upset anyone, nor be abusive, or mean or nasty.

I love you all dearly. I was just having fun - something I should remember isn't easy on the internet when you can't see the eyebrows raising, the eyes glinting, and the water rushing past.

Forgive me.

There's a difference between caring and sneering condemnation. I'm thinking about the person, you're thinking about your wallet.

Ah, so being a busybody is OK as long as it's designed to benefit the "right sort" of people, but not if it benefits the people who actually pay their way?

No I think I've covered it to my satisfaction and will never cover it to yours.

I don't believe that you have ever covered it.

Why is it rubbish to say that reducing licence/mooring fee evasion will result in either;

a) lower charges

B) a larger pot of money to be spent on the waterways

Edited by mayalld

Sorry Bones, there's a dozen people living round your handbag, no room for dancing.

Pokes his head out of Bones's handbag ...looks around and decides to go back inside and close the zip

I don't think you're the culprit Bones, I think it's me and mayalld who are raising the temperature too high.

I too apologise Tom or Sophie or both, and shall retire gracefully, wish everyone fair boating, and go and find the goat's eggs forum. There are plenty of unresolved issues there!

I thought the debate was doing ok?

I certainly havent meant to personally attack anyone, I'd like to think I could have this conversation with anyone here face to face?

I'll add a smiley :)

There yer go, now get off my land :)

or is it Too many boats and not enough people wanting to pay for a mooring

Sorry Baldock, I cant agree with thispoint. I know many who are actively looking for moorings on the southern GU who are very willing to pay. I've been on BW waiting list for nearly two years now and am not near the top yet !!!

Les

I don't think you're the culprit Bones, I think it's me and mayalld who are raising the temperature too high.

I too apologise Tom or Sophie or both, and shall retire gracefully, wish everyone fair boating, and go and find the goat's eggs forum. There are plenty of unresolved issues there!

Mmm, goat's eggs. Didn't know that was possible. I'm off to buy me a goat. :)

Sorry Baldock, I cant agree with thispoint. I know many who are actively looking for moorings on the southern GU who are very willing to pay. I've been on BW waiting list for nearly two years now and am not near the top yet !!!

Les

There are a percentage on the south GU who seem to think that by tying up wherever they like ( ie: outside pubs/dole office/bridge holes) that it's their right to stay there and not pay

I agree that there is a shortage of moorings generally there are some vacancies on the south gu but not always where some people want to be moored