Haven't got a mooring?

Yamanx

Featured Posts

I know I will be hated and reviled for saying this, but Ha! Who cares! I'm snatching this posting in a beautiful resting-place in the countryside, swaying trees, birds singing, coffee on the stove - not bitterly thinking up petty ways to take out my frustrations on others.

Me too - isn't it marvellous . . .

Nonsense. If I were moored permanently in a marina I wouldn't give two hoots if people were overstaying on visitor moorings etc. I do care because I go cruising and then cannot stop because boats are left semi-permanently on 24 hour moorings, Whilst I don't advocate settimng them adrift, I do believe in notifying BW of these abuses.

Graham

Overstaying on short term moorings is as inconsiderate as speeding past moored boats in the middle of nowhere. There is a difference between that obvious ignorance and, judging someone moored in the middle of nowhere and you knowing nothing of their circumstances or any arrangement they may have with BW.

If a car is taking up a disabled parking space, with no badge, that is ignorant, selfish behaviour. If a car is in a normal parking space and his meter ran out an hour ago, the car is no less safely parked than before, he isn't hurting anyone, so it is up to the enforcing body to take action not a net twitching busy body.

Or would the people who speed past boats they assume have overstayed tie a rope to the car and drag it into the middle of the road?

Again, like the licensing issue, I am simply not able to care.

BUT, I can see why it might bother others on busier sections of canals. and for them the only recourse is to notify BW. Oh, and complain abut it here (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

Might I humbly suggest that if due to the need to earn a living you cannot spend as much time as you would like on your boat. Due to licence conditions it spends most of it's time on a marina, and due to being constrained by available boating time you are forced to stick to one small part of the system.

Then you also get to know that you can't use the visitor moorings between x and y because there is a community of free spirits living there for free.

If on the other hand you are fortunate enough to spend your life cruising the system (and therefore at the top of the hierarchy, above even the aforementioned free spirits, who are in turn well above those contemptible weekenders) you will not even be aware that some stretches of mooring provided for us all to take our turn are in effect deleted. But then, those free spirits live aboard, so they outrank those of us who don't, and presumable are authorised by the high comittee of residential boaters to ignore the conditions they signed up to when they applied for licences.

At least as a weekender I can look down on hirers, there are plenty of regular contributors on here who don't own a boat, but who gives a toss about them?

If a car is taking up a disabled parking space, with no badge, that is ignorant, selfish behaviour. If a car is in a normal parking space and his meter ran out an hour ago, the car is no less safely parked than before, he isn't hurting anyone, so it is up to the enforcing body to take action not a net twitching busy body.

Or would the people who speed past boats they assume have overstayed tie a rope to the car and drag it into the middle of the road?

Don't get me started on those drivers - I could be here all day otherwise.

I don't think it's fair to take liberties with short term visitor moorings personally. We have been lucky in that there has always been a spot to moor up for the night, but this is usually because we pick sections not right by a pub or water point etc if we don't need to.

People always will however, but short of informing BW and watching them every day it's just an annoyance a lot of us will have to live with and let BW hopefully do their jobs.

It's lovely here too, from my office window view anyway :)

I've overstayed on short term moorings. I was in hospital at the time. Another time my chums mother was in hospital (the chum was living with me) and we overstayed so she could visit her mother. BW knew both times. Other times I have overstayed in places, and BW have been informed.

I don't get upset by people overstaying, we never know why. Some, I am sure, are blatently flouting the rules, but I don't consider myself to be perfect enough to get irate about it, infact, I don't think anyone is. Make peace not war.

So, I have overstayed, moored in places I shouldn't have, and I (like many others) thought I had a good reason. Perhaps if I told you why I did then you would think I did too. I am not a public person, and thus I don't expect other people to be. It is their business. I am just thankful I don't have to do it anymore.

Shoot me. I don't care.

Nonsense.

He is hurting all those who do pay for a mooring.

The system only works because people pay into it for licences and moorings.

Those who do pay have to pay more for the same level of facilities/services to account for those who don't pay.

If the chances of getting away with not paying are greater, more people won't pay. If a sizeable number of people don't pay, and get away with it, still more people won't pay.

It ends up with the dwindling numbers who do pay paying more and more.

It is in my own interest to ensure that people don't get away without paying.

Paying for a licence is essential. But if there are no mooring fee's where you want to moor, then why not stay there. There aren't enough marinas, or official long term moorings, so why not create our own?

Does squatters rights apply to a mooring?

It seems to me that much of the whingeing about overstayers, non-payers etc etc is done by people whose boats are stuck in marinas or on permanent moorings and they themselves are stuck behind desks on sunny days. The postings say more about their own (understandable) jealousy than the reality of the situation on the canals.

I know I will be hated and reviled for saying this, but Ha! Who cares! I'm snatching this posting in a beautiful resting-place in the countryside, swaying trees, birds singing, coffee on the stove - not bitterly thinking up petty ways to take out my frustrations on others.

Ah, that would be people with jobs who pay their dues, and as a result can't spend all their time on board their boat.

Damn right I resent those who appoint a lifestyle then expect me to pay for it.

Paying for a licence is essential. But if there are no mooring fee's where you want to moor, then why not stay there. There aren't enough marinas, or official long term moorings, so why not create our own?

"no mooring fee" isn't the same as "a zero mooring fee"

If there is no mooring fee, it simply means that BW chooses not to sell permanent mooring space at that point

Nonsense.

He is hurting all those who do pay for a mooring.

The system only works because people pay into it for licences and moorings.

Those who do pay have to pay more for the same level of facilities/services to account for those who don't pay.

If the chances of getting away with not paying are greater, more people won't pay. If a sizeable number of people don't pay, and get away with it, still more people won't pay.

It ends up with the dwindling numbers who do pay paying more and more.

Nonsense.

He is not hurting me.

There are other systems at work around the world. Most of them better than ours, all of them cheaper.

If everybody paid your licence/mooring wouldn't go down. BW would just rent a bigger HQ.

It is in your interest to interfere with people you have inadequate knowledge about to make your sanctimonious judgements because that's the sort of person you are.

By all means report your 'investigations' to BW. In my experience the patrol officers are well aware of any boats in their area that they need to act on, so your complaint will just be filed under 'b' anyway.

But what you shouldn't do is speed past boats because, in your weighted, narrow minded opinion, the boat shouldn't be there.

Edited by carlt

People always will however, but short of informing BW and watching them every day it's just an annoyance a lot of us will have to live with and let BW hopefully do their jobs.

Once every couple of months would do!

BW have sacked so many staff they now cant look after the system properly, at least not the bit I know.

I'm not going to look after it for them, they have charged me an extra 15% which, I assume will go towards BW doing it.

Over staying a few hours, days is one thing but at Norbury Junction there are three boats, moored on a 48 hour mooring that have been there for months.

If there is an arrangement with BW, surely there should be some kind of sticker, display or something?

BW have sacked so many staff they now cant look after the system properly, at least not the bit I know.

I'm not going to look after it for them, they have charged me an extra 15% which, I assume will go towards BW doing it.

Over staying a few hours, days is one thing but at Norbury Junction there are three boats, moored on a 48 hour mooring that have been there for months.

If there is an arrangement with BW, surely there should be some kind of sticker, display or something?

I'll look after it for them, because it is in my interests to do so.

It isn't my job to close paddles that kids have been buggering about with, but I'll do that as well.

In fact, just to keep carlt happy, I'm quite happy to offer my services to BW as a patrol officer on a commission only basis.

After all, if BW are paying me to check up on people it's OK isn't it?

perhaps. But that is a bit like hanging out your dirty laundry. Don't we just have to let BW get on with their jobs and accept that the way it is run is the way they want it to be run? Our fee's, I am sure, are no more or less because people are not paying their way. Too often people think they can do other peoples jobs, or feel that something isn't been run properly. If it can be run better, then the only way to do it is to do it yourself. If you can't then accept the way it is.

The problem with giving up a mooring to wing it is that you don't know that someone isn't going to decide to get in the system to change the sytem, and then you are without a mooring. They are hens teeth. Perhaps they aren't where you are, but i have seen them become so over the last 10years in the south at least, and I doubt the south is unique.

perhaps. But that is a bit like hanging out your dirty laundry. Don't we just have to let BW get on with their jobs and accept that the way it is run is the way they want it to be run? Our fee's, I am sure, are no more or less because people are not paying their way.

The amount of evasion directly impacts BW's income.

If they had more people paying, one of two things would be possible;

1) Fees would be lower.

2) We would pay the same, but get more services.

I overstayed at Burton Hastings on the Ashby 5 years ago, for 4 months, with agreement from BW. Not on a short term mooring though, I don't see the need to be on any mooring but my own and have always preferred to be away from such organisation.

If BW had given me a sticker or notice to explain my reasons for being there, I'd have put it in the bin. I am not answerable to anyone but the authority I need to satisfy to stay legal. I don't worry about what net twitching busybodies think of me. They have no right to judge, so I'll ignore their judgement, and so they can carry on their miserable, disapproving way, tut tutting to themselves.

1) Fees would be lower.

but considering so many people think they can't do their job anyway, surely this isn't manifested simply in monitoring the boats? It is life, things just go up and up.

1) Fees would be lower.

Rubbish!

I'll look after it for them, because it is in my interests to do so.

It isn't my job to close paddles that kids have been buggering about with, but I'll do that as well.

In fact, just to keep carlt happy, I'm quite happy to offer my services to BW as a patrol officer on a commission only basis.

After all, if BW are paying me to check up on people it's OK isn't it?

I will leave this debate now because it's another unresolvable one. But with just one more point. If you see a boat that has been moored in the same place for too long, you will speed up, take their number and report them to BW, mayalld.

I on the other hand would slow down, moor up and see if the occupant is ok. Has he broken down and needs tools, has he fallen ill or has he succumbed to CO and died. I'd try to help. I'd rather be me.

I overstayed at Burton Hastings on the Ashby 5 years ago, for 4 months, with agreement from BW. Not on a short term mooring though, I don't see the need to be on any mooring but my own and have always preferred to be away from such organisation.

If BW had given me a sticker or notice to explain my reasons for being there, I'd have put it in the bin. I am not answerable to anyone but the authority I need to satisfy to stay legal. I don't worry about what net twitching busybodies think of me. They have no right to judge, so I'll ignore their judgement, and so they can carry on their miserable, disapproving way, tut tutting to themselves.

But you display your licence I assume?

Surely just a "Moored with permission of BW" doesnt tell everyone your personal circumstances, in fact I'm sure I've even seen such a notice somewhere?

But you display your licence I assume?

Surely just a "Moored with permission of BW" doesnt tell everyone your personal circumstances, in fact I'm sure I've even seen such a notice somewhere?

and then you rouse the 'what makes you so special' brigade! :)