Boat sunk on the North Oxford

Featured Posts

I think in this case the boat sank due to water used to extinguish the fire not due to being holed.

If you check the site on Google Earth you'll notice that an "ash and clinker" road runs just the other side of the hedge towpath side which goes to the sub station (not the one shown on the right, there is another one on the left) that road is accessible off the Alderman's Green Road just before the converted pub (Elephant & Castle)

I guess that is the road the Fire Services were unable to get access to on the day.

Of course there are a lot of HT cables and pylons around, not clever for using cranes huh.png

Forgot to add Google Earth photo ..................

attachicon.gifsunk.png

If this is it it dosent look very sunk and looks like steel so that knocks my thoughts on being holed near the water line out and no free board http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82593&p=1760696

I thought RCR were now responsible for sunk boats not CRT or is that just ones in danger of sinking?

Your information is in advance of mine. RCR, of which I'm a member, is a subscription organisation. It would astound me if they went around dragging out sunken boats, whose owners were not members, out of the goodness of their hearts.

Your information is in advance of mine. RCR, of which I'm a member, is a subscription organisation. It would astound me if they went around dragging out sunken boats, whose owners were not members, out of the goodness of their hearts.

There was a press release some time ago.

RCR are appointed as C&RTs official sub contractor for recovery of boats (sunken, cilled in locks etc etc) as their expertise has been proven recently with recovery within hours or days, whilst C&RT have taken weeks.

I think they are now CRT's preferred contractor for salvaging sunken or stranded boats, or they work for insurance companies.

There was a press release some time ago.

RCR are appointed as C&RTs official sub contractor for recovery of boats (sunken, cilled in locks etc etc) as their expertise has been proven recently with recovery within hours or days, whilst C&RT have taken weeks.

I take it You know the definition of Expert?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8hHVOI7xLwg

:)

One at Slough now

Slough Arm (Grand Union Canal)Starts At: Bridge 4, Meads BridgeEnds At: Bridge 4, Meads Bridge
Monday 11 April 2016 07:00 until further notice
Type: Advice Reason: Boat damage
Original message: A boat has sunk beneath the waterline in the vicinity of Meads Bridge (Bridge 4) on the Slough Arm. We have marked its location with local signs but please avoid and take care. 
You can view this notice and its map online here:

Spot on , Bill.

There is even a conveniently situated selection of trees and telegraph poles for the Tirfor.

Sorry Tony but from my experience of working for BT (42 years) they would take a very dim view of a telegraph pole used for this purpose. Telegraph poles are made to carry overhead wires and cables NOT for stresses as you suggest. Also consent would need to be obtained if doing this legitimately.

You may know a lot about boats but I know a lot about BT. judge.gif

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 3

Sorry Tony but from my experience of working for BT (42 years) they would take a very dim view of a telegraph pole used for this purpose. Telegraph poles are made to carry overhead wires and cables NOT for stresses as you suggest. Also consent would need to be obtained if doing this legitimately.

You may know a lot about boats but I know a lot about BT. judge.gif

It wouldn't really be much of a problem Ray. If the telegraph poles weren't up to the job there are plenty of trees to use instead.