Solar. Tracer remote meters MT50 vs MT-5

swift1894

Featured Posts

I've got both remote meters, MT-5 on an old style Tracer MPPT 3215 and MT50 on the new style MPPT 4215BN, running in parallel to my Trojan batteries.

The problem is that the old MT-5 doesn't seem to be as programmable as the MT50, which has "User parameters" so I can't key in that I want 14.8v as my bulk charge etc.

Am I right or can it be done?

Could I plug the new meter into the old MPPT for example?

Edited by swift1894

I think the best you could do with the MT-5 (if you haven't already) would be to set Temperature Compensation to the highest value (10mV/°C).

Or flog the MT-5 on Ebay and get an MT-50.

Tony

I think the best you could do with the MT-5 (if you haven't already) would be to set Temperature Compensation to the highest value (10mV/°C).

Or flog the MT-5 on Ebay and get an MT-50.

Tony

Yeah but I wonder would the modern MPPT lose it programming if I unplugged the MT50?

And could I use the MT50 to programme the old MPPT?

The mt50 programmability features will not work with the old controller unit, just show relevant data.

Looks like I'll have to get the new MPPT controller then, to get best charge voltage for the Trojans?

Thanks

the mppt controller holds it's settings even with no lcd controller attached

Good at least I won't have to get another MT50.

Thanks

Edited by swift1894

Tony

Do you mean -10mV/C?

I only seem to be able to get from 0 to -10!!!!!

Well the digits have a "-" sign before them.......bit confusing.

And what will that setting achieve?

Edited by swift1894

For every degree below 24C it will up the voltage by 10mV (0.01V). Not much but every little helps

Tony

Thanks.

But how did I you get that info? I can't see it anywhere in the manual.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to upgrade to the newer MPPT model cos, like you say, 0.01V ain't much.

Thanks. But I notice the display diagrams have minus "-05mV/C" and I can't see a reference to 24 degrees.

I also notice the manual says "0 to 10mV/Cell/°C"........... Any idea what a cell is?

It doesn't mention 24 degrees - that's just the 'normal' starting point.

A 12V battery contains 6 cells. Each cell is nominally 2.1V - they just are, the chemistry makes it so.

So 6 x 2.1 = 12.6.

Tony

It doesn't mention 24 degrees - that's just the 'normal' starting point.

A 12V battery contains 6 cells. Each cell is nominally 2.1V - they just are, the chemistry makes it so.

So 6 x 2.1 = 12.6.

Tony

Of course, I was thinking maybe it meant the cells of a solar panel.

So....(nearly there) keying in 10mV/Cell/°C x 6 cells means an extra 60mV per degree below 24 degrees C.

Therefore at 20 degrees the charge would be 14.4V ( if that's the normal charge rate) plus an extra (4 X 60mV) = 14.64V.

Am I right ?

Edited by swift1894

Hi I just landed here while looking for some information on my mt50..I have set up a 20w MPPT with the controller. I have a 175w panel feeding two 110 ah

batteries. My question is.. there is a value on the left (panel) reads 22v at 1.3 amps and load on the right.(not connected) the one in the middle (battery) is at 13.7 v at 1.9 amps...Is this what is going into the battery? Or what is being used?

Sorry for what may be a stupid question...Thanks

... the one in the middle (battery) is at 13.7 v at 1.9 amps...Is this what is going into the battery? Or what is being used?

Yes ?

The solar is supplying 1.9A. If you have anything switched on then that will be using some (or all) of that 1.9A. If it's using less than 1.9A then the balance is going into the battery. If it's using more than 1.9A then the balance is being drawn from the battery.

An ammeter on the battery positive is the only way to know exactly what's happening.

Tony

Hi I just landed here while looking for some information on my mt50..I have set up a 20w MPPT with the controller. I have a 175w panel feeding two 110 ah

batteries. My question is.. there is a value on the left (panel) reads 22v at 1.3 amps and load on the right.(not connected) the one in the middle (battery) is at 13.7 v at 1.9 amps...Is this what is going into the battery? Or what is being used?

Sorry for what may be a stupid question...Thanks

I've just installed solar. 3 x 175w panels, 40a mppt, 3 x110ah batteries. Maybe I got my panels from the same place as you? (Bimble deal?)

As I understand it, your 22v reading is what's coming out of the panel. As I have 3, I'm getting readings of over 70v as each panel can produce up to 29v. They are household panels designed for a higher voltage. I double checked with Bimble and they were fine with it. The MPPT can handle up to 140v coming in (yours may be less - should say on the back of the unit). The MPPT then converts this for a 12v system, so you see 13.7v going into the batteries. This is good. At 1.9 amps you should be putting over 20 amp hours a day into your batteries, more I'd expect when it's sunny.

Edited by Dave_P