Non-refundable deposits on moorings

blackrose

Featured Posts

I would move the boat by road immediately, hold your existing mooring for a couple of months and save the cost of renting a room. If the job doesn't work out you can still return to the old mooring. It's going to be expensive anyway if the job is not permanent.

I would move the boat by road immediately, hold your existing mooring for a couple of months and save the cost of renting a room. If the job doesn't work out you can still return to the old mooring. It's going to be expensive anyway if the job is not permanent.

That was my primary reaction, but 3k to move the boat plus licence and mooring on EA waters makes it a close call financially.

Psychologically it probably shows a lack of commitment to the new job, but they are only offering a few months trial, so "sauce for the goose".

That was my primary reaction, but 3k to move the boat plus licence and mooring on EA waters makes it a close call financially.

Psychologically it probably shows a lack of commitment to the new job, but they are only offering a few months trial, so "sauce for the goose".

Ouch. three grand is a bit more to consider. In that case, let the existing mooring go and spend the season on the Nene if the job is a flop. No worse of than staying put minus a job anyway!biggrin.png

Should have gone to Narrowsavers...

Where is the job? In Pbo (as people who can't spell Peterborough call it)?

Moulton Pk, Northampton

Non returnable deposit is weasel words.

What they mean is, it's yours for £250 a month for two months starting now, whether you use it or not.

What's the on going rent going to be?

Are you guaranteed the let at the beginning of month three?

No, you haven't got that right. The deposit is just to hold the mooring. I've been told I can wait a few months before actually starting to paying for the mooring, so I don't have to get the boat there straight away.

Ongoing mooring fee is £628/quarter which includes 50p/day standing charge for electricity (which is a blatant rip-off but that's life).

I've no idea what you mean by "month three"?

.......hold on a minute !...... you will not lose any money as such because you will be paying for a distinct and tangible benefit that has a measurable market value - which is the right to exclusive use of a mooring site of your liking.

It is only you that can give weight to the 'likeness' of the site. It is up to you to use it.to get value out of it.

I know one thing, if it was me I would jump at the chance, because that solves the problem, and it leaves me free focus on the new job without the worry of all this hanging over me - from whence cometh the wealth to pay for it. But that's me!

So you would pay £3k to move a boat by road without knowing if the new job you have taken on will work out?

I'm prepared to gamble £500, but not £3k.

Why are you looking at going through Bristol if you are a wide boat then you will not get through the narrows at Northampton. If narrow go via Warwick GU.

I don't know what you are talking about or whether you're talking to me, but I'm well aware that I can't get my boat through Northampton arm (give me some credit please!), which is why the boat is going by road.

I had originally intended to go to the GU side of Northampton by water, but that idea has been scrapped as I'll never find a reasonable mooring on that side.

I could only return to the old mooring if I paid another £3k.

6 months.

Edited by blackrose

No, you haven't got that right. The deposit is just to hold the mooring. I've been told I can wait a few months before actually starting to paying for the mooring, so I don't have to get the boat there straight away.

Ongoing mooring fee is £628/quarter which includes 50p/day standing charge for electricity (which is a blatant rip-off but that's life).

I've no idea what you mean by "month three"?

As you were - I'd misread your comment about it taking 2 months to get on to your current mooring and it turned into £500 to hold the new one for 2 months in my head.

I need to take more water with it .....

The alternative mooring looks right enough, glad it worked out.

IF it won't come off the rent maybe offer £250 for whatever then another £250 to extend for the same period?

If the job goes swimmingly move the boat before the £250 deposit is up and make use of the mooring.

But if the job goes TU early on you're only £250 out...

Edited by smileypete

IF it won't come off the rent maybe offer £250 for a month then £250 for another month after that?

Then if the job goes TU early on you're only £250 out...

If it goes swimmingly move the boat before the month is up and make use of the mooring.

The deposit will be used as the mooring fee once I get the boat here. They want £500 deposit - that's in their T&Cs.

The alternative mooring looks right enough, glad it worked out.

Thanks

OK, I will wade back in. £250 per month holding fee is compared with £630 per quarter (£210 per month)

Do you have a guaranteed job back in Bristol/Gloucester/wherever?

If you have guaranteed work and a reserved mooring, don't let them escape.

If you have vague promises and a reserved for a fee mooring, Northampton isn't that bad!

My gut feeling is move the boat earlier, and let the new employer know you have done so. This shows you want the job, and counts in your favour with HR.

Is losing the South West mooring more important than the job in Northampton? Only you can answer that, and nobody else really cares :)

Edited by TheBiscuits

OK, I will wade back in. £250 per month holding fee is compared with £630 per quarter (£210 per month) What is this "comparison"? huh.png It's really not that complicated. As I've repeated a couple of times, the £500 deposit is used for the mooring fee once the boat is there, so I would have to pay an additional £130 when I arrive for the first quarter. The mooring fee paid quarterly.

Do you have a guaranteed job back in Bristol/Gloucester/wherever? No. I left my last job a couple of months ago.

If you have guaranteed work and a reserved mooring, don't let them escape. I'm not going to. I've already accepted the job and told the guy I want the mooring. I will give him the deposit on Friday when he's back in the office.

If you have vague promises and a reserved for a fee mooring, Northampton isn't that bad! Thanks, good to know.

My gut feeling is move the boat earlier, and let the new employer know you have done so. This shows you want the job, and counts in your favour with HR. My new job is not contingent on me moving the boat as soon as possible (or at all). To be frank, HR don't care whether I move the boat or not. They don't care whether I live up a tree! All they want to know is whether my manager thinks I can handle the workload and I'm capable and efficient at work. Anyway, as you can see if you read my posts on this thread, I've already made my decisions.

Is losing the South West mooring more important than the job in Northampton? Only you can answer that, and nobody else really cares smile.png

No, it's not really to do with me losing my current mooring.

Edited by blackrose

Anyway, here is the new mooring on the opposite side which I'm definitely going for:

CAM00141_zps8po0dfbt.jpg

That looks like a desirable, well appointed mooring. I can understand why you're willing to incur expense and logistical problems to secure it.

Anyway, here is the new mooring on the opposite side which I'm definitely going for: Glad to hear it. I wish you well.

CAM00141_zps8po0dfbt.jpg

"So you would pay £3k to move a boat by road without knowing if the new job you have taken on will work out?

I'm prepared to gamble £500, but not £3k."

No! not £3k. That would wait till the job was certain. I would only pay £500 deposit to secure the mooring until my job situation became clear.