One Weeks Cruise from Alvechurch

Barry the Wing

Featured Posts

Any suggestions for a weeks cruise starting and returning to Alvechurch. We are heading over in April and it will be our first time to cruise from this marina. Mainly will stick with the canals so will not go onto river Avon. Our shared boat Swallow will be moving here next week.

Thanks Guys.biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

You could do Stratford and back but is quite lock heavy, 108 in total.

You could head in to Birmingham, down the Wolverhampton 21, down the Staffs and Worcs to Stourton Junction then up the Stourbridge and back in to Birmingham via Netherton Tunnel and back to Alvechurch.

You could do the Stourport ring but this would need a day on the Severn. As Alvechurch is at the Birmingham level anywhere you go will involve a lot of locks. Rob-M's suggestion is a good one and you could visit the Black Country Museum as well.

You are lucky Alvechurch is great! For the best in high quality pubs with fine dinning along the way cruise to Stratford and back. Book a night at the theatre.Moor up in the basin walk along the river..Stratford canal is fantastic one of the best....Droitwich canal is a fantastic adventure too, Spoilt for choice you are.

I have a mooring at Alvechurch and it offers plenty of choice for 1 week cruises. As well as Stratford and back there is Warwick and back - if you don't fancy the Hatton flight X2 you can wind and catch a train from near bridge 56, similarly for Stratford a train from Wilmcote will save 2x16 locks.

I like to visit Brum which is only 4 hours pleasant cruising via Selly Oak. Several days exploring the BCN has it's attractions, or you could leave Brindley place down Farmers Bridge locks and south on the Digbeth branch for the pleasant pastures of Solihull and return to Alvechurch via Lapworth locks.

If there is not too much rain forcast (floods possible) then the Droitwich ring takes some beating - Tardebigge, well maintained single locks, Droitwich, newly restored staircase lock and very rural double locks down to the Severn, one manned river lock down-stream, before passing Worcester Cathedral and returning to the Worcs and Brum canal. All these are fairly leisurely allowing time to stop and visit.

• Greenie 1

I would do the Warwick ring, only a couple of hours to the Stratford Canal and you're on the ring (well sort of) Would be a comfortable but busy week. Just my sort of week but not everyone's idea of fun.

Edited by NickF

I would do the Warwick ring, only a couple of hours to the Stratford Canal and you're on the ring (well sort of) Would be a comfortable but busy week. Just my sort of week but not everyone's idea of fun.

From Nicks planner a little over 60 hrs so that is 10 hrs per day and no stopping.

From Nicks planner a little over 60 hrs so that is 10 hrs per day and no stopping.

Hire crews do it in a week all the time. It's definitely possible from Alvechurch but as this is a share boat (which moves base every year?) wouldn't it make more sense to consider the routes for which Alvechurch is well placed?

Assuming the river isn't too high the Stourport Ring shouldn't be a problem. It's less than a full day on the river so there is no need to moor on the river; not that there's any reason not to do so anyway. If the ring can't be done then out and back to Stratford or Worcester/Droitwich are sensible as would be the suggestion of Wolverhampton and Stourton in a loop.

Alvechurch is also handy for exploring the BCN (a necessary experience for any proper canal boater ?) so if I were looking at a series of weeks I might consider something like;-

- Stourport Ring (via Netherton)

- Stratford and return

- Wolverhampton and Droitwich (a kind of variation on the Stourport Ring)

- BCN

That would cover all the easily accessible waterways; I excluded Sharpness and Avon Ring as probably being more than one week trip. All will involve lots of locks apart from the BCN because Alvechurch is at one end of the Birmingham level.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg