Shortboat "Shirley"

jenevers

Featured Posts

Kris

Many thanks for your post re the 'A' boats. I was beginning to think there wasn't any more interest.

I do have another cracker of the 'A 37' almost ready to leave Yarwood's Yard in March 1933.

This boat is in full regalia with river running lights etc. Please bear with me as I may have to seek

approval to publish, although I think copyright expires after 70 years.

Regards Roy

I have A41 "medlock" I stoped it going into a scrap yard about 5years ago. I'm not rich so I have to do it bit by bit. Unfortunately it's one of the boats that had the hatch coamings cut out. To accommodate the mechanical grabs on the power station runs. The owners who put the cabin on In the 80's went for maximum space. So it doesn't look as pretty as the boat in your photos.

You seem to have a lot of photos of A37 do you have a connection to this boat?

Regards kris

Edited by kris88

Kris

My Father and three of his Brothers worked the 'A 40' and 'A 37' during their B. I. Transport days.

These two were the last two running on these trips from Birkenhead to Appleby's and Greenwoods

Flour Mills in Blackburn. 'A 40' coming off register 02/11/1950, 'A 37' 28/12/1949.

Now a little bit of history for your boat, it was crewed by Luke Pye my Godfather and Robert Ashcroft

both of Parbold, west of Wigan, and came off register 16/12/46 usually because the bottom hull plates

were worn out. I believe your boat was built to Canal Transport specifications which were 1/2'' narrower

so you can see why she was the first of the fleet to be sold and she is the only one with a flat stem iron.

On a rather sad note my Godfather was drowned in Blackburn Locks on the 7th of November 1947, whilst

working the 'A 36'.

During my search for the 'A 40' in the late 1980's I found the 'A 41' at East Marton and I presume the previous

owner to you, was it 'Eddie' ?, informed me he had seen the 'A 40' at Brandy Wharf on the River Ancholm in

Lincolnshire a few years earlier.

Best Wishes

Roy Gibbons

Kris

My Father and three of his Brothers worked the 'A 40' and 'A 37' during their B. I. Transport days.

These two were the last two running on these trips from Birkenhead to Appleby's and Greenwoods

Flour Mills in Blackburn. 'A 40' coming off register 02/11/1950, 'A 37' 28/12/1949.

Now a little bit of history for your boat, it was crewed by Luke Pye my Godfather and Robert Ashcroft

both of Parbold, west of Wigan, and came off register 16/12/46 usually because the bottom hull plates

were worn out. I believe your boat was built to Canal Transport specifications which were 1/2'' narrower

so you can see why she was the first of the fleet to be sold and she is the only one with a flat stem iron.

On a rather sad note my Godfather was drowned in Blackburn Locks on the 7th of November 1947, whilst

working the 'A 36'.

During my search for the 'A 40' in the late 1980's I found the 'A 41' at East Marton and I presume the previous

owner to you, was it 'Eddie' ?, informed me he had seen the 'A 40' at Brandy Wharf on the River Ancholm in

Lincolnshire a few years earlier.

Best Wishes

Roy Gibbons

Luke Pye was related to my wife (her Grandmother's brother.) She believes that Luke drowned in a lock?

Edited by Guest

Yes the previous owners where Eddie and his brother Ray. Who got the boat from somewhere on the Humber. They had A41 for along time, I think eddy had to be dragged off after he became ill. I always enjoy hearing about these boats and there crews, so thanks very much for the imformation.

Regards kris

Catweasel.

Your Wife is quite correct, unfortunately I got the date slightly wrong in my previous post,

The date was 2nd December, 1947. It was a sad time for his Family he left a Wife Phylis

and three young Sons.

Regards

Royg

Yes the previous owners where Eddie and his brother Ray. Who got the boat from somewhere on the Humber. They had A41 for along time,

Regards kris

I do not know much about these boats but I do have the following note:

Y.N. 441 A 41 motor barge

O.N. 162395 Reg. No. Lp 1599 35.4g 27.2n 61.0 x 14.0 x 4.45 feet

Oil engine 1 cyl. by H. Widdop & Co. Ltd., Keighley, Yorks. 18 BHP 5 mph

18/11/33: Launched. 20/11/33: Completed as A 41 for B. I. Transport Ltd. (William Buckley, manager), London. 29/11/33: Register opened (H.M.C.&E.) at Liverpool. 30/11/33: Registered with the Liverpool U.S.A. (Lp 1599). 16/12/46: Sold to Henry Croasdale Ltd. (John Croasdale, manager), coal merchants, Blackburn, Lancs. 28/09/53: Register closed, no longer required. c1958: Sold to British Fuels Ltd., coal factors, Burnley, Lancs. c1975: Sold to Pearson & Barnett, canal carriers, Birmingham. 15/05/81: Sold to Messrs. Edward & Ray Simpson, of Bury, Lancs. and Doncaster, Yorks. respectively, and renamed MEDLOCK. Re-engined with a 30 B.H.P. Perkins P3 oil engine and converted into a residential barge. 2001: Still extant as MEDLOCK and based in the Skipton, Yorks. area.

Although you probably know this anyway, and clearly it is a bit out of date captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Catweasel.

Your Wife is quite correct, unfortunately I got the date slightly wrong in my previous post,

The date was 2nd December, 1947. It was a sad time for his Family he left a Wife Phylis

and three young Sons.

Regards

Royg

We knew Phyllis and her sons Bill, Wallace (sadly died recently) and we believe the other son was Robert, though we don't know him.

My wife's grandfather was Jim Melling who is known to have steered a Leeds Liverpool boat in the Wigan or near area, but we are unsure which boat it was.

Edited by Guest

Catweasel

It was along time ago when I last saw Luke's three lads at their Mother's funeral.

Bill still lives in Alder Lane, Parbold, but my Sister recently said his house was up for

sale, although he and his Wife still intend to stay in the area. Robert I believe lived

in Eccleston, Nr. Chorley.

Best Wishes

Royg

Pete Harrison

My thanks for posting re 'A 41', indeed I was in regular contact with Clive Guthrie at

the time he was collating his Yarwood's info.

My only regret these days I have never seen any records from Litherland Lift Bridge.

Regards

Royg

I do not know much about these boats but I do have the following note:

18/11/33: Launched. 20/11/33: Completed as A 41 for B. I. Transport Ltd. (William Buckley, manager), London. 29/11/33: Register opened (H.M.C.&E.) at Liverpool. 30/11/33: Registered with the Liverpool U.S.A. (Lp 1599). 16/12/46: Sold to Henry Croasdale Ltd. (John Croasdale, manager), coal merchants, Blackburn, Lancs. 28/09/53: Register closed, no longer required. c1958: Sold to British Fuels Ltd., coal factors, Burnley, Lancs. c1975: Sold to Pearson & Barnett, canal carriers, Birmingham. 15/05/81: Sold to Messrs. Edward & Ray Simpson, of Bury, Lancs. and Doncaster, Yorks. respectively, and renamed MEDLOCK. Re-engined with a 30 B.H.P. Perkins P3 oil engine and converted into a residential barge. 2001: Still extant as MEDLOCK and based in the Skipton, Yorks. area.

Although you probably know this anyway, and clearly it is a bit out of date captain.gif

Thanks very much Pete, you where kind enough to share this info with me before a few years ago. now. But thanks for sharing it again.

Regards kris

Elsie was built for Dean Waddingtons in 1948, with Sid Turner her first captain. They carried to canalside mills between Wigan and Burnley until 1958, when the firm was taken over by Hargreaves. The traffic up Wigan Locks ended and the boats just used on the Wigan Power Station run. Elsie probably had a Gardner as the engine room hatch is on the left.

Re Jim Melling; I have three recorded in the mid-1930s Canal Transport list of boatmen. The first (born 20-12-1904) was working with his dad on Puma, the second (born 1-12-1872) was mate on Stag. Both came from Burscough. The third (born 28-12-1904) worked with his dad on 317 and came from Wigan.

The http://www.boatfamilies.website is a good place to researchL&LC boatmen and women.

Kris

We last saw A40 June 2011 at Antoing in Belgium. The owner had wanted to buy Ribble from us, but we had just sold it to the Lawson family.

Tam

post-6882-0-03042400-1459847985_thumb.jpg

edit to change Rubble to Ribble !!! laugh.png

Edited by Tam & Di

Elsie was built for Dean Waddingtons in 1948, with Sid Turner her first captain. They carried to canalside mills between Wigan and Burnley until 1958, when the firm was taken over by Hargreaves. The traffic up Wigan Locks ended and the boats just used on the Wigan Power Station run. Elsie probably had a Gardner as the engine room hatch is on the left.

Re Jim Melling; I have three recorded in the mid-1930s Canal Transport list of boatmen. The first (born 20-12-1904) was working with his dad on Puma, the second (born 1-12-1872) was mate on Stag. Both came from Burscough. The third (born 28-12-1904) worked with his dad on 317 and came from Wigan.

The http://www.boatfamilies.website is a good place to researchL&LC boatmen and women.

That could well be the correct Jim Melling, my wife says his Birthday was December, and he was operating from Burscough. Puma sounds like a strong possibility then. Many thanks for this info :)

We last saw A40 June 2011 at Antoing in Belgium. The owner had wanted to buy Ribble from us, but we had just sold it to the Lawson family.

Tam

attachicon.gifA40 - Antoing.jpg

edit to change Rubble to Ribble !!! laugh.png

You owned Ribble? Lovely boat that I have enjoyed seeing on the L&L on and off. A pic I took at Parbold a few years ago:

post-910-0-82688100-1459875458_thumb.jpg

There were several Melling families around Burscough, with Thomas from Crabtree and James from New Lane working Pluto for a good number of years. Some boatmen moved from boat to boat quite regularly, whilst others remained with one. The Canal Transport boats which Mellings worked on include: Lune, Dee, Pluto, Aire, Lyra, Severn, Comet, Vega and Planet. Of course they could also have worked for Ainscoughs or on the coal. Some boatmen went long distance boating in summer, and changed to the coal traffic between Wigan and Liverpool in winter so they could get more nights at home.

There were several Melling families around Burscough, with Thomas from Crabtree and James from New Lane working Pluto for a good number of years. Some boatmen moved from boat to boat quite regularly, whilst others remained with one. The Canal Transport boats which Mellings worked on include: Lune, Dee, Pluto, Aire, Lyra, Severn, Comet, Vega and Planet. Of course they could also have worked for Ainscoughs or on the coal. Some boatmen went long distance boating in summer, and changed to the coal traffic between Wigan and Liverpool in winter so they could get more nights at home.

Interesting. the Jim Melling my wife is related to did live in New Lane for most of his married life. Sounds like he may have worked Pluto then. His daughters are still alive so I can ask for more info.

Pete Harrison

My thanks for posting re 'A 41', indeed I was in regular contact with Clive Guthrie at

the time he was collating his Yarwood's info.

Regards

Royg

Clearly you recognise Clive Guthrie's 'font' as yes the above his an extract taken from his researches. I was not trying to peddle Mr Guthrie's work as my own captain.gif

Clive was a good friend of mine and I am fortunate to be the recipient of one of three manuscripts that he circulated for proof reading. Unfortunately Clive passed away prior to a full submission being made to his publisher, and although his family were initially keen to publish this never happened.

post-26034-0-33056000-1460224069_thumb.j

Kris

As promised photo of B I Transport's A 37 almost ready to leave Yarwood's Yard on the

River Weaver at Northwich, early March 1933. They were not often seen with all the

River Lights as in this picture.

Credits ro:- W. J. Yarwood, K. Callander and Philip Watkinson for photo.

Roy Gibbons

post-26034-0-33056000-1460224069_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much Roy, I really appreciate you making the effort to post these amazing photos.

There really don't seem to be many photos of the A class boats. The photos you have posted of A37 are the best that I have seen.

Regards kris

My thanks for your kind words re A 37, which for many years and still perhaps is, moored in Castlefield Basin, Manchester and with the name 'Isis'.

Being the Grand National week-end, prompts me to recall my first of two visits to this venue in 1949 on the A 40 at Canal Turn. Whenever my Father could he would always try and be there for this event. The previous year he had backed the winner Sheila's Cottage from which the proceeds had taken us to the Isle of Man for a weeks holiday.

Not one to miss making a bob or two he used to push the boat to the tow-path side, where many people came to watch the occasion for free. He would ask them for a couple of shillings to jump on board for a better view higher up across the course.

Edited by royg