Shortboat "Shirley"

jenevers

Featured Posts

That interesting because my friend lives on Lune, it came out of the yard 2 months after A41 I think.

Very interesting indeed Roy. Something that really surprised me is the differences between yarwood's boats and pimblotts. More differences than you would imagine.

Regards kris

That's better, and Kris the Yarwood Boats were much easier to handle than Pimblott's.

Did you know that B. I Transport Co. Ltd., had a fleet of 6 Dumb Boats that operated from

Birkenhead to Manchester via the Bridgewater Canal. They were numbered M 30 to M 35

and preceded the Motor Boats.

It was the practice for the 'M' boats to have precedence over the 'A' boats when loading.

One incident where my Godfather was loading A 41, refused this action and resulted in him being 'sacked'.

My Dad met him walking home down the tow path nearer home and asked why. All the crews then worked

their boats back to Birkenhead and walked off the job. How long later I don't know, but they

were all asked to return including the A 41 crew, to find all the 'A' boats loaded and ready

to go.

That's better, and Kris the Yarwood Boats were much easier to handle than Pimblott's.

Did you know that B. I Transport Co. Ltd., had a fleet of 6 Dumb Boats that operated from

Birkenhead to Manchester via the Bridgewater Canal. They were numbered M 30 to M 35

and preceded the Motor Boats.

It was the practice for the 'M' boats to have precedence over the 'A' boats when loading.

One incident where my Godfather was loading A 41, refused this action and resulted in him being 'sacked'.

My Dad met him walking home down the tow path nearer home and asked why. All the crews then worked

their boats back to Birkenhead and walked off the job. How long later I don't know, but they

were all asked to return including the A 41 crew, to find all the 'A' boats loaded and ready

to go.

Great story Roy, which shows that this common action of the crews gave them a stronger position towards their employer, if not your Godfather may have lost his job for good.

You've got a very interesting photographs collection, and your becoming an expert in the posting of them, keep them coming please.

Peter.

Pluto has posted in Boat Gallery photo of Steamer 44 towing a train of 3 dumb boats with A 40 overtaking them in background.

Previous 2 publications of this photo stated it was the Steamer overtaking the rear boat.

My Fathers out with the fender on the bow of A 40 and it looks like, with the position of all the dumb boats, that they were not impressed by being overtaken. Although my Uncle John always told me, never put your boat on the right side too early when passing as she might dive off, before you get alongside.

royg

post-26034-0-85032700-1462110015_thumb.jpg

Photo of two ex B I Transport boats at Westwood Power Station August 1972.

A 40 in foreground had just been purchased and about to leave for Lincolnshire.

Could the other one be A 41, which brought the final load of coal to this Wigan Power Station.

Both these boats were regularly crewed together in the B I. days. One incident in Liverpool Docks

occurred when they were both waved into the dock by the gatemen and they ended up

behind a tug, which for some unknown reason came astern. In my Dad's words 'I jumped off the

A 40 onto the A41 as the bow of A 40 went completely under water. I though she was a goner. The prop of the tug sheared off and A 40 bobbed back up like a cork. We got a new bottom out of the accident'.

So I think this why A 40 lasted the longest on this grain contract.

Again both these boats were frozen up loaded in January/February 1940 at Red Rock Bridge, Wigan for

6 weeks. Similarly A 37 was frozen in at Halsall on the Lancashire Plain

Edited by royg

Some amazing pics Roy.

Not much credit is know about the B. I. crews and I believe they worked these boats to their max on the Blackburn grain trips.

During the 1940's the crew of A 42 requested to run with a lighter load of 48 tons instead of 50. Reason being the narrower beam of A 41 and A 42 were dragging the bottom more. None of the other crews knew about this until the bush telegraph got to work as they were still being paid for a 50 ton trip. So all eventually only carried 48 tons per trip. These boats had a further stern bulkhead fitted as the elevators had difficulty excavating with the original bulkhead. I can still remember my Dad opened a small hole in this second bulkhead so that an amount of grain trickled through, which provided enough grain to keep hens in our back garden happy.

When they transferred to the coal traffics at Burnley and Wigan they got knocked about even more with the coal grabs.

Happy days and its great that five out of this fleet still survive to-day, after 83 years.

royg

Not much credit is know about the B. I. crews and I believe they worked these boats to their max on the Blackburn grain trips.

During the 1940's the crew of A 42 requested to run with a lighter load of 48 tons instead of 50. Reason being the narrower beam of A 41 and A 42 were dragging the bottom more. None of the other crews knew about this until the bush telegraph got to work as they were still being paid for a 50 ton trip. So all eventually only carried 48 tons per trip. These boats had a further stern bulkhead fitted as the elevators had difficulty excavating with the original bulkhead. I can still remember my Dad opened a small hole in this second bulkhead so that an amount of grain trickled through, which provided enough grain to keep hens in our back garden happy.

When they transferred to the coal traffics at Burnley and Wigan they got knocked about even more with the coal grabs.

Happy days and its great that five out of this fleet still survive to-day, after 83 years.

royg

Must have been well built to survive coal grabs etc. and still be going 83 years later.

Love the story about grain for the hens ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Roy I saw Harry the other day he called round to see me he says thanks for the photos. He hasn't got your phone number so can't say it himself.

Regards kris

Kris

My thanks for your acknowledgement of the A 37 photo's I sent to Harry. It is always nice to send to those who appreciate them.

I seem to remember many many years ago he said the A 37 was the best sailing boat they had on the Burnley/Blackburn run.

Hope you enjoyed the last couple of stories re my Dad's escapades with the B. i's.

Best Wishes

Hi Kris we had a leeds short boat in sheffield a few years ago. It was a trip boat up for sale for years far to expensive for the condition it was in. It went one day never saw it sail away so dont know what happened to it

Kris

Your photos of Engine look a nice job. I have magnified and found it to be a Rushton.

Definitely won't shake as much as the old Widdop's will it?

The B I referred to earlier in Sheffield was the A 39, see 'Bargemasters' photo in this thread.

I believe the A 37 might still be in Castlefield Basin, Manchester.

Best Wishes

Roy

The A39 ex-restaurant boat, that was for sale a couple of years ago in Sheffield had a lovely Gardner 2LW engine.

Peter.

Here are some photos of the engine I've just put in A41attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Regards Kris

Nice job Kris, it's looking good, so now you're ready to move under your own steam again.

Peter.

Exactly Peter I'm moving again which feels great. The engines fine, it's hunting abit at tickover with no load. But I had problems finding the right throttle return spring. So will have to keep fettling. Apparently my boat had a 2lw in it at sometime, a Gardner would be the only engine id take this one out for. This one was an auxiliary generator on a dredging platform on the Trent and hasn't done much work. Oh by the way I'm moored near Lune and Wharfe at the moment.