Always happy to admit I'm wrong (not)

carlt

Featured Posts

Unaccustomed as I am to eating humble pie (always preferred steak and ale with a short crust top) I shall stick to the compliments and skim over the past criticisms.

Browsing the mags in WHSmiths reading rooms. I picked up the well thumbed May issue of Waterways World, spotted the Whitlocks article and decided I had to buy it for the Lucy collection.

Now my usual practice, when forced to buy a canal mag, is to cut out the bits I've parted with money for and file the rest in the 'when there is nothing left to read (after reading the cereal packets)' pile. Last night was spent reading most of this month's issue, however, despite having the latest New Scientist, Classic boat and Thomas and Friends magazines to read.

The West Ridings waterways article was well written and the photos stirred memories of my old stomping ground.

The Whitlocks article avoids the syrupy sycophancy I'm known for criticising other publications for and I haven't seen the photos before. Just when you think you've got them all you have to part with more dosh!

The France article is a welcome contrast to the 'narrow dog to Carcasonne' drivel.

The photos in the Cotswold canal article were great but I wish they'd taken the tarps off the hull for just one shot.

Always nice to see the wooden boat being used in the Better Boating regular slot but I still think Kestrel deserves it's own article.

The Readers Scrapbook is just great this month.

So well done Richard and the subscription will be in the post this morning (of course you'd better keep it up, I hope you've not blown all the good stuff in one month)

Sorry to drone on everyone but I'm always the first to critcise and complain so I like to be first to compliment and praise too.

Unaccustomed as I am to eating humble pie (always preferred steak and ale with a short crust top) I shall stick to the compliments and skim over the past criticisms.

Browsing the mags in WHSmiths reading rooms. I picked up the well thumbed May issue of Waterways World, spotted the Whitlocks article and decided I had to buy it for the Lucy collection.

Now my usual practice, when forced to buy a canal mag, is to cut out the bits I've parted with money for and file the rest in the 'when there is nothing left to read (after reading the cereal packets)' pile. Last night was spent reading most of this month's issue, however, despite having the latest New Scientist, Classic boat and Thomas and Friends magazines to read.

The West Ridings waterways article was well written and the photos stirred memories of my old stomping ground.

The Whitlocks article avoids the syrupy sycophancy I'm known for criticising other publications for and I haven't seen the photos before. Just when you think you've got them all you have to part with more dosh!

The France article is a welcome contrast to the 'narrow dog to Carcasonne' drivel.

The photos in the Cotswold canal article were great but I wish they'd taken the tarps off the hull for just one shot.

Always nice to see the wooden boat being used in the Better Boating regular slot but I still think Kestrel deserves it's own article.

The Readers Scrapbook is just great this month.

So well done Richard and the subscription will be in the post this morning (of course you'd better keep it up, I hope you've not blown all the good stuff in one month)

Sorry to drone on everyone but I'm always the first to critcise and complain so I like to be first to compliment and praise too.

Yup, it's the best issue for a long time, and yes I nearly PM's you when I saw the "Lucy" photo's. I have to say I would mind a couple of prints as my daughters name is also Lucy.

Damm!

- I was just in kingslock on saterday picking up some oilseals for the old bowthruster, and i nearly bought it, and didnt. Now im all left out and am going to have to make a trip somewhere to get one, lol.

Daniel

Guest st170dw
Thanks all - a really nice surprise to come back after a week on the Soar and read this. :(

Carl, I agree with you about interesting historic boats deserving their own articles... watch this space!

Richard,

I am not afraid to appear dumb so I will ask you:

The item about funnels and cavitation in the April edition - was it complete nonsense or do I need to get a funnel now?

- The item about funnels and cavitation in the April edition - was it complete nonsense or do I need to get a funnel now?

Yeah, didnt see that one eather...

- are we going to get into a nice thread about kort nozzles and schilling rudders again?

Daniel

Richard,

The item about funnels and cavitation in the April edition - was it complete nonsense or do I need to get a funnel now?

Not afraid to appear dumb? you want to try being in my shoes for a while! (no you CANNOT borrow them!)

I read that article and decided that it was far too complex an idea to get my head around but I could not work out the physics of it so decided it must be an April fool, now someone is going to tell me I am wrong in which case I need to see a diagram to understand how it works!

Not afraid to appear dumb? you want to try being in my shoes for a while! (no you CANNOT borrow them!)

I read that article and decided that it was far too complex an idea to get my head around but I could not work out the physics of it so decided it must be an April fool, now someone is going to tell me I am wrong in which case I need to see a diagram to understand how it works!

I missed that one. I will have to dig it out.

Nick

There's definitely something wrong in the Waterways World camp.

First we get the 1 pager about the history of DCs, then we get outboards.

Now the "heritage boat brigade" are seeing more content aimed at them.

Anyone would think they had a spy in the camp. :(

seriously, maybe i'm adding 2+2 and getting 7 3/4 but I have to say keep it up Richard, my newsagent has been asked to order me a copy every month.

Guest st170dw
Complete nonsense. We thought we'd offer a second April Fool for our more techy readers!

Thank goodness for that!

I was applying logic to the idea and couldn't see how it could work. I am glad that logic still works with inanimate objects at least :(

Dave

That is definitely one of the nicer ones I've seen. There are quite a few of Lucy knocking about but most look like they've been done by draughtsmen rather than artists. This one is full of life. Would you mind if I copied it?

And whilst we're praising Waterways World I had to mention how great it was to see a contribution from John Liley. IMHO The Best Waterways Journalist (apart from Richard of course!)

Anyone who would like a flavour of how the canals were should read Liley's Journeys of the Swan, telling it how it was with wry humour. Hope Mr Liley becomes a regular contributor.

Paul H

Of course you can copy it, if you PM me your e-mail address and I can send you the larger copy if you like?

Are you the artist Sarah? If so - lovely painting! If not, you should have the artist's permsission to copy it :)

:help::)

What?! You sell artwork, but you retain the copyright to ensure it doesn't reappear one day, selling Coca-Cola or encouraging kids to enlist in the army.

I know this is hardly the case here, but someone could reproduce that image, turn it into greetings cards and make lots of money from someone else's creativity.

What?!

excuuuuse moi.

What?! You sell artwork, but you retain the copyright to ensure it doesn't reappear one day, selling Coca-Cola or encouraging kids to enlist in the army.

I know this is hardly the case here, but someone could reproduce that image, turn it into greetings cards and make lots of money from someone else's creativity.

high and horse

Edited by kawaton

?????????

I wish people would explain what they mean rather than putting cryptic symbols or question marks! Does this mean you don't understand what I've written? If so, sorry - I'll try to write it a different way - you only had to ask.

I'm an illustrator and therefore understand the importance of protecting and maintaining control over what you create. I was speaking up for an artist who may not know their work is being shown here and passed on to others. That's all.