blacking?

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

Having lost a bit of blacking above the water line while bringing the boat back yesterday i was wondering weather it would be ok touching a few scrapes up with hammerite to tidy it up?

I bought a colecraft a few years ago with a 6mil bottom and sides. The bloke I bought it from was an honest chap and informed me that in his 18 years of ownership he had never slipped it or had any blacking done so we agreed a very low price in the knowledge that I was taking a big risk and would probably need to re bottom it ( I never have pre purchase surveys ) I whizzed it oop to Tardebigge and John Pinder did a hull survey for me and the hull was still at 5.7.

I wouldnt bother too much about your scraped blacking.

Tim

Use the same blacking as is on there now hammerite or any other paint may cause a problem when you next have it blacked.

Next time it is blacked cheek them for a little for touching up. You will probably have paid for it anyway.

The boat will not rust away in the next two years. wink.png

Having lost a bit of blacking above the water line while bringing the boat back yesterday i was wondering weather it would be ok touching a few scrapes up with hammerite to tidy it up?

If you use hammerite it will stand out like the dog's proverbials. Better to buy a small tin of bitumen based paint to cover the scrape, or even leave it until the hull is all done again, than use Hammerite in my opinion. Hammerite is great paint when used in the correct place. Touching up bitumen is not the correct place.

Do you have any rust killer, such as Kurust, Jenolite or Vactan? A drop of something like that will help keep rust at bay until the next dry docking.

If you use hammerite it will stand out like the dog's proverbials. Better to buy a small tin of bitumen based paint to cover the scrape, or even leave it until the hull is all done again, than use Hammerite in my opinion. Hammerite is great paint when used in the correct place. Touching up bitumen is not the correct place.

Do you have any rust killer, such as Kurust, Jenolite or Vactan? A drop of something like that will help keep rust at bay until the next dry docking.

ok thanks

Better to buy a small tin of bitumen based paint to cover the scrape, or even leave it until the hull is all done again...

Are we sure the existing blacking is bitumen-based?

Put a bit of white spirit on a cloth and give the hull a wipe. If it turns black from the paint (not the dirt) it's probably bitumen.

Edited by blackrose

I was going to say, to paint in the same as it is now, you first have to know what is is now.

Must say, we never touch-up between dockings, even given that we use good paint and hence only go on every 4 (or this time 5) years. The same is largely said for the cabin too, we get cabin-paint out every four years when we black, or if we are redoing the cabin, but otherwise, life it too short!

Daniel