Shurflow Aqua King 3.0 Fresh Water Pressure Pump

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

Two years ago our known and trusted Shurflo 2088 fresh water pump failed and although I had a spare (in theory), through laziness and procrastination I hadn't got round to rebuilding it (the new parts were all there - somewhere!) - so in order to keep the taps flowing I popped over to Midland Chandlers to buy a new one. The 2088 had been 'replaced' by the 'all new' Aqua King 3.0 (3900 series) so I bought one of these and fitted it. It wasn't a direct replacement because although the 1/2 inch water fittings were the same size and in the same place, the four rubber bushed mounting holes in the plastic baseplate were at a different pitch - this was easily remedied by taking the metal baseplate off the failed 2088 unit - the holes and screws attaching the baseplate to the motor body being identical - a point worth remembering.

Now two years on, the 'new' Shurflow Aqua King 3.0 has suffered a pressure switch failure - fortunately, in the intervening months, I had got round to rebuilding my spare pump so a quick changeover was possible. The old 2088 series pumps had a whole range of readily available (and affordable) spare parts - and as the most vulnerable part seems to be the pressure switch I had sourced a useful supply of these.

Unfortunately, the pressure switch on the 3900 series is a completely sealed non serviceable unit. This, apparently, is progress!

A replacement sealed unit is available from my favourite chandlers for £29.99 which is, incidentally, the cheapest price that I have found anywhere for this part. Most suppliers are asking around £35 which is remarkable considering that a complete 3900 series pump can be obtained for less than £70.

In conclusion, I reckon that the only 'improvement' that has been made with the 3900 series has been for Shurflo's profits - derived from more frequent replacements. At least the motors are recyclable!

They've been around for years - but being a cheapskate - I settled for a Trail mate. They're only 7.2 l/m but half the price and the pressure switches are replaceable (methinks) - as I've not yet had to replace one - they leak first.

But what's the alternative??

It does seem that the newer Sureflo pumps are not a great buy.

As above any number of people seem to say better is available, and I would not now willingly buy another Sureflo by choice.

We got through two Sureflos on Chalice and repairs never seemed that successful. The Jabsco Par Max we bought after we had got through two Sureflo pumps certainly seemed better, and was no more expensive.

It does seem that the newer Sureflo pumps are not a great buy.

As above any number of people seem to say better is available, and I would not now willingly buy another Sureflo by choice.

We got through two Sureflos on Chalice and repairs never seemed that successful. The Jabsco Par Max we bought after we had got through two Sureflo pumps certainly seemed better, and was no more expensive.

We have just given up on Shurflo after being loyal customers for many years , as you say, the repairs never seem to last very long. Have opted for Jabsco Par max, fingers crossed it will be an improvement.

Unfortunately, the pressure switch on the 3900 series is a completely sealed non serviceable unit. This, apparently, is progress!

Is the pressure switch really sealed or do they just claim it is sealed? On the previous model there is a small box held on with 4 screws that can be removed and the box dismantled to reveal a standard micro switch.

With any of these types of pump I would fit a relay between the pressure switch and pump motor to reduce the load on the pressure switch and so greatly improve its life.

cheers, Pete.

smpt

The 3901 Aquaking's pressure switch is fared into the curved streamlined shape at the usual inlet-outlet end, and is not a box stuck on the back. It is removable with the four screws with the adjusting screw in the middle.

Yeah I wonder if the switch itself is glued together like those switched mode power supplies for laptops etc.

In which case the vast majority would much rather just bin the whole pump and buy a more decent one like the Jabsco Par Max.

That said it can be possible to crack those power supplies open to repair them and reseal them but there's a bit of a knack to it.

cheers, Pete.

smpt

Edited by smileypete

Is the pressure switch really sealed or do they just claim it is sealed? On the previous model there is a small box held on with 4 screws that can be removed and the box dismantled to reveal a standard micro switch.

With any of these types of pump I would fit a relay between the pressure switch and pump motor to reduce the load on the pressure switch and so greatly improve its life.

cheers, Pete.

smpt

Yes, the new ones are really well and truly sealed - the plastic casing is firmly glued or fused together and needs cutting in half to open it!

As you say the old ones came apart nicely and the micro-switch could be replaced - generally, a decent replacement micro-switch (I did have a supply of these 'Made in England' by Honeywell!) would outlast the rest of the pump.

I think the Shurflo pumps have generally been of good quality - traditionally, they were made in the USA to a high standard. This probably made them less competitive pricewise. The new Aqua King is being assembled in Mexico with many components imported from China - which means that they can be competitively priced.

Fortunately, my defunct Aqua King pump will not go to waste. The totally enclosed electric motor appears to be of reasonable quality and the traditional model 2088 pump head fits it perfectly. These original quality pump heads are still available because they are used in Shurflo's range of industrial equipment. The price is high at around £45 but cheaper than a new pump and although I have no experience with the 12 Volt motors, the 24 Volt motors seem to last very well - the one that I fitted with a new micro-switch, and have now just installed, was dated July 2001 - so already 15 years old and during that time it must have been in use for at least half of that time and has only required new micro-switches (2), new diaphragms (2) and a new pump assembly. Given that we live aboard throughout the year our fresh water pump gets serious use.