Boatyard/Marina for fit out.

Featured Posts

Slight change of tack....I had previously asked about a suitable Marina for my widebeam sailaway which will be ready in September. I am now thinking it might be easier to find a boatyard or Marina which has hard standing facilities for 6 months for me to complete the fit out.

The sailaway is being built in the Nottingham area and Idealy will be craned, transported and craned onto a hard standing and then simply craned into the canal without need for the additional transport. Once completed the boat will be used in the northern canals all north of Liecester. Maybe if anyone has any experience of doing this they might give me some idea of charges and locations of suitable sites.

Slight change of tack....I had previously asked about a suitable Marina for my widebeam sailaway which will be ready in September. I am now thinking it might be easier to find a boatyard or Marina which has hard standing facilities for 6 months for me to complete the fit out.

The sailaway is being built in the Nottingham area and Idealy will be craned, transported and craned onto a hard standing and then simply craned into the canal without need for the additional transport. Once completed the boat will be used in the northern canals all north of Liecester. Maybe if anyone has any experience of doing this they might give me some idea of charges and locations of suitable sites.

Debdale Wharf come straight to my mind

Hi. Debdales overhead gantry is over a launching bay which I am pretty sure is only wide enough for narrowboats. But they are very obliging people and may have an alternative method for dealing with wide beams. I certainly would suggest calling them as they would be ideally situated for you.

Mick

Hi. Debdales overhead gantry is over a launching bay which I am pretty sure is only wide enough for narrowboats. But they are very obliging people and may have an alternative method for dealing with wide beams. I certainly would suggest calling them as they would be ideally situated for you.

Mick

I dont know what they can lift, but its wide from there up to Leicester, they have very good hard standing and are very helpful

Redhill Marina have hard standing. Don't think that Sileby can't get a big enough crane in to lift a wide beam. Its worth looking for somewhere with a chandelry or na ironmongers nearby for all the bits that you have forgotten. It also helps to have mains hookup for 230V power rather than relying on a genny.

Newark marina is only a days cruise from Nottingham. (or an hour on a truck)

http://www.newark-marina.co.uk/

They have a hoist that can lift widebeams (both weight and dimensions are no problem)

They have a hardstanding

They have people working on / fitting out boats.

There is a chandlery on site for those odd screws and bits of piping you forgot

Engineers on site to help and give advice ( electrical, plumbing, canopy maker, fabrication etc etc)

Very nice folks - ask for James.

Edit :

If you are craning out of the builders shed and putting onto a lorry, you may as well let the lorry travel another hour (or so) and drop it off at Newark

Edited by Alan de Enfield

No, but very close to Midland chandlers at mercia.

There are also some businesses based there should you need a bit of welding doing say, or specific woodwork, etc etc, which can be handy when fitting out. You can also hire a container if needed, for storage or use as a small workshop.

Edited by Ally

Thanks for the replies and will investigate all. Was really excited about Debdale but they have told me that although they take boats on hard standings they do not have facilities to put then in the water so I am guessing I am looking at another 7/800 for crane, transport and crane to a suitable place to put her in the canal.

Where a big enough crane cannot access the boatyard / Quayside then two smaller ones are used, its not uncommon.

There are many videos on You tube showing the worst that can happen ( when one crane lifts slightly higher or faster than the other and the boat slides out of the slings, or where the weight is uneven and overloads one crane)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frPkusIxzWA

Launching a 'widebeam' narrowboat with 2 cranes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWyE-_eR-Qs

Edit : I see the Botany bay video has already been linked.

Edited by Alan de Enfield