Another Smartgauge question.

ROBDEN

Featured Posts

The instructions suggest you fit it then forget it for about 4 days or so, after which time it will have learned your system. I guess it needs a few discharges and charges before it sorts itself out. I thinknitvsaid it needs to go below 75% on a discharge, and above 90% on a charge, so that could be described as a cycle.

No, why should they?

They produce a voltage up to the the designed regulator voltage or less depending upon their speed and the current they are producing. Some may monitor their temperature as well. That is all the alternator is concerned about - voltage.

The current flowing depends upon the "resistance" of the battery except it is not resistance in the conventional meaning but its the easiest way to think about it.

Tony looking to see if the guy has an ammeter connected to anything,alternator etc, Oh dear Oh lol lol

OK I got it now, it was all those repeated SoCs that flumoxed me. I'll keep an eye on it once I am happy that I cant charge it up anymore today. One thing tho, just exactly what is a " discharge cycle" I would typically have the tv on around 6 but would run the boat till around 7.30-8.00 pm switching of the inverter for bed around 10 ish.

By a discharge cycle, practically for you it means a 24 hour period. During that time you will watch some tv and discharge the batteries (quite a lot, if our suspicions are correct) and then recharge again next morning.

As Richard says its best to leave it for a few days normal use before getting too excited about what it's reading. But I would suggest that starting tomorrow the SoC will be worth looking at.

One thing tho, just exactly what is a " discharge cycle" I would typically have the tv on around 6 but would run the boat till around 7.30-8.00 pm switching of the inverter for bed around 10 ish.

Edited to say that echo is back ?

Just that ?

You're discharging the bank with TV usage etc - that's a discharge cycle and it continues until you start to charge the batteries again.

By Tuesday morning SmartGauge should be giving you a meaningful figure.

Tony

Edited by WotEver

Tony looking to see if the guy has an ammeter connected to anything,alternator etc, Oh dear Oh lol lol

That is not what you said.If you mean does the boater have any means of knowing the current going into the battery why not say so rather than saying does the alternator.

This is the second time in the last week or so that you seem to have written something other than what you meant to say.

Besides, it's already been established in this thread that OP has no method of measuring current and it's also previously been suggested that he buys a cheap clamp meter in the fullness of time.

I'm the OP and I do have some measuring devices.....so there!wink.png

Rob....

I'm the OP and I do have some measuring devices.....so there!wink.png

Rob....

Well, lend them to TerryB then ?

I'm getting old and confused...

Are but perhaps it was OP as in Other Poster?

Yeah, yeah, that was it!

LMAO sorry for all the confusion guys. But thank you very much for all your input. It really is helping, honest. I do have a typical multi meter but would have a problem finding £28 for a clamp meter unless I could really benefit. I am no longer in employment and have a very small income nowadays so have to budget.

That said, I have contingency if I absolutely must.