Voting

Rufford

Featured Posts

Yesterday I got an email reminding me that I can vote in the upcoming elections.

I almost didn't bother, and then I thought well it's only a couple of clicks. So I voted for the chap who likes to take pictures of my boat and a few others.

I hope everyone else has voted or plans to vote. I may not have much faith in those I have voted for achieving anything (not their fault, more CaRT's). But we may as well vote, at least that way we can complain!

Yesterday I got an email reminding me that I can vote in the upcoming elections.

I almost didn't bother, and then I thought well it's only a couple of clicks. So I voted for the chap who likes to take pictures of my boat and a few others.

I hope everyone else has voted or plans to vote. I may not have much faith in those I have voted for achieving anything (not their fault, more CaRT's). But we may as well vote, at least that way we can complain!

Ah but voters still complain dont they.

Kingswood, if you have a private boat license you are entitled to a vote in the current CRT Council elections. If you havnt been contacted get in touch with the Electoral Reform Society and they should sort it out for you. See http://www.votebyinternet.com/CRTelections2015for details. There are 8 people standing (including me) and some of them have posted in this forum as to where to find out more about them and what they would like to do to make a difference. Some havn't and you can make your own mind up (other canal Internet forums may be available). Unfortunately many people will simply ignore the elections which will be a shame as some research could show some of the candidates haven't tried anything to say something about themselves other than their 150 word statement.

I've just logged on with the firm intention of voting but there's certain things which would always put me off.

1. A close affiliation with a particular boating organisation.

2. No specific and achievable objectives.

3. Bad spelling or grammar.

4. A distinction lack of good judgement.

Guess how many candidates I'm left with? Zero.

I genuinely don't think I can vote for any of them.

Here's a genuine offer - if in 4 years one of the candidates can actually show something specific which they have achieved by being on the council then I will, quite literally, eat my hat.

I have no expectation of having to do so though.

1. Ruth McCabe - no objectives at all.

2. Jim Owen - author of some bonkers posts on here.

3. Andrew Phasey - simply blowing his own trumpet.

4. Phil Prettyman - Historic Boat Club affiliation.

5. Stella Ridgeway - NABO affiliation, not declared (understandably).

6. Roger Stocker - supports Jim Owen!

7. Vaughan Welsh - no specific objectives, achieved nothing last time, affiliated to everyone.

8. Steven John Wickes - says virtually nothing.

Edited by Dave_P

I've just logged on with the firm intention of voting but there's certain things which would always put me off.

Here's a genuine offer - if in 4 years one of the candidates can actually show something specific which they have achieved by being on the council then I will, quite literally, eat my hat.

Well which ever ones get elected I am sure they will TRY and achive more than you by doing nothing.

• Greenie 1

Dave_p I nominated Mr Owen amongst others as I thought his 150 word statement was reasonably well written and included some issues that I think are important, I also nominated others who must have already had the 10 supporters (eg Mr Phasey who I know and does a lot of good work). Star also ŵrote that she was worried about voting for anyone who would support Bandsman Jim and in hindsight it was a error (and perhaps bad luck in that he hadn't already had the required number of nominations) but what is done is done, how can I redeem myself? I struggled to support many and I thought that the 'field' wasn't particularly strong and decided, at the last minute, to add my name to the list. It was then that I started to post to forums such as this about me and pointing people in the direction of my webpage/Twitter etc. should they want to know more. There have been various critical comments about Mr Owen and some of his 'views', which are not something I would agree with ( a few Facebook posts posted late at night, perhaps after a few liquid refreshments etc.) and this forum gives him a ideal opportunity to explain some comments, he has chosen not to. It's a tad disappointing for those looking for who to vote for that so few candidates have used this forum to introduce themselves apart from Stella and myself (unless I've missed a posting), not sure if or how those others who look to be elected will feedback to their 'constituents'. Happy to field questions about my views and what I would try to achieve but initially I see a main focus in feeding back to all of you using forums such as this.

http://rgstocker.blogspot.co.uk/@roggys

Well which ever ones get elected I am sure they will TRY and achive more than you by doing nothing.

How do you know I'm doing nothing? Have you been stalking me?

I voted for Phill because I think he will do a good job, and he has taken a picture of my boat, he seems a nice chap and he is also a member of HNBC.

Not voting for someone because they are a member of a boating organisation seems a little silly.

We all vote for different reasons. I would like to vote for someone who can fairly represent all boaters. None of the boating organisations do that IMO. Anyone who is affiliated to an organisation is likely to follow the narrow agenda of that organisation.

How do you know I'm doing nothing? Have you been stalking me?

We all vote for different reasons. I would like to vote for someone who can fairly represent all boaters. None of the boating organisations do that IMO. Anyone who is affiliated to an organisation is likely to follow the narrow agenda of that organisation.

Indeed. It would be such a shame if all boaters could enjoy deep navigable channels whilst retaining the character historical importance of the canal.

Steve Heywood wrote about the elections in this months Canal Boat, I think he is of the same view as some on this forum. I hope this link to the article works https://t.co/8WXa3xSAUG as its a link to my Twitter post. If I am elected (don't forget voting closes on the 11th Dec) I'll make sure to represent you and let you know what is happening. http://rgstocker.blogspot.co.uk/

I have no expectation of having to do so though.

1. Ruth McCabe - no objectives at all.

2. Jim Owen - author of some bonkers posts on here.

3. Andrew Phasey - simply blowing his own trumpet.

4. Phil Prettyman - Historic Boat Club affiliation.

5. Stella Ridgeway - NABO affiliation, not declared (understandably).

6. Roger Stocker - supports Jim Owen!

7. Vaughan Welsh - no specific objectives, achieved nothing last time, affiliated to everyone.

8. Steven John Wickes - says virtually nothing.

To clarify; when I was nominated, I held no position with NABO. I was elected to Council at the recent AGM

Well, having posted all over social media tonight; a campaign message

As one of the candidates , I would encourage you to vote; but I can give you my reasons for standing and why I believe that I can try and make a difference.

I was born in Shardlow, my parents emigrated to New Zealand by boat and I suppose that's when I had my first experience of living on a boat on our six week journey across the world and where my parents and siblings still live. However, the chance to move aboard Gracie came three years ago and I then discovered that my great grandfather was born on a Narrowboat and so I realised why it felt as though I had come home.

I moved to England and became interested in representation almost immediately, in the YWCA where I lived and then onto Trade Union Representation. I have been a Senior Workplace Representative for nine years and have lead consultations with the employer for that time. I have been involved in local communities where we pass through .

This brings us into Canal and River Trust (CRT) and my reasons for deciding to stand. I went to Boaters Meetings where Richard Parry was speaking and it appeared to me that unless we at least tried, nothing would change the perception and way, we as live aboard boaters and CRT's customers were treated . I decided that if I could do anything to improve how CRT was governed, to try and influence what we want them to concentrate on - good facilities that work properly, dredging, vegetation clearance and general maintenance .

The other reason was as a woman of the cut, I believe that I can bring that experience with me of working and cooperating with others I can make a difference.

Kingswood, if you have a private boat license you are entitled to a vote in the current CRT Council elections. If you havnt been contacted get in touch with the Electoral Reform Society and they should sort it out for you. See http://www.votebyinternet.com/CRTelections2015for details. There are 8 people standing (including me) and some of them have posted in this forum as to where to find out more about them and what they would like to do to make a difference. Some havn't and you can make your own mind up (other canal Internet forums may be available). Unfortunately many people will simply ignore the elections which will be a shame as some research could show some of the candidates haven't tried anything to say something about themselves other than their 150 word statement.

ok thanks for that

tried that they want a code that they have not sent me by post or email

Steve Heywood wrote about the elections in this months Canal Boat, I think he is of the same view as some on this forum. I hope this link to the article works https://t.co/8WXa3xSAUG as its a link to my Twitter post. If I am elected (don't forget voting closes on the 11th Dec) I'll make sure to represent you and let you know what is happening. http://rgstocker.blogspot.co.uk/

Good article. It underlines exactly why I won't vote for a rep who is affiliated to a boating organisation. It creates a conflict of interest.

Would you vote for someone affiliated with this forum? Or would you vote for the member of your local Labour or Tory party?

Where is a the line?

I can see where you are coming from, however anyone looking to stand for the CaRT elections are probably going to be affiliated to one or two canal boat clubs at the very least.

The only way to elect someone without an affiliation to a club or without some bias or agenda would be to vote for someone who doesn't like boating and has no interest in canals in for the election!

Would you vote for someone affiliated with this forum? Or would you vote for the member of your local Labour or Tory party?

Where is a the line?

I can see where you are coming from, however anyone looking to stand for the CaRT elections are probably going to be affiliated to one or two canal boat clubs at the very least.

The only way to elect someone without an affiliation to a club or without some bias or agenda would be to vote for someone who doesn't like boating and has no interest in canals in for the election!

That's just not true. I know many passionate and well informed boaters who belong to no clubs.