Generator keeps blowing battery charger

tommyleyland

Featured Posts

So I've got a Honda EX1000 charger and it bust my first 50amp charger, I've since had this replaced and it's literally done the same thing (part of the circuitry blows). I have no idea what's going on, I thought if there was too much power going to the charger the fuse was blown.

Is this more of a charger issue or a generator issue?

Can you charge the batteries direct from the Genny? The voltage is probably going too high on 240v I had a big Honda Genny which blew the capacitors on my phone charger I could hear it pop if I forgot to plug it out. Found out that it was charging way over 240v

Well for a start, the EX 1000 is a USA 120Vac genny IIRC. So if you're using it in the UK I'm not surprised it's eating 240Vac chargers.

Secondly, if I'm wrong and yours is 240Vac, your 50Amp 12V charger is gonna need a whole lot more than the 4amps or so at start up a 1Kw 240Vac genny can deliver, I'd have thought.

Which fuse is it you thought ought to be blowing?

These are the specs on the generator:

http://imgur.com/BBaJWAi

I'm plugging the charger in to the generator then from the charger to the batteries.

I can charge direct from the genny but the output is so low it's not worth using. I'll probably trade it in for a more modern one with an inverter/stabiliser like an EU10i

Do you have a link? Can't find it.

If it's not powerful enough to run it, is that a reason for it blowing or is that something different?

Did you check the AC voltage received by the new charger as suggested in your previous thread?

Have a look at this post as well.

Sorry it's a 45amp charger.

So if I went for a Honda EU10i, would you recommend a 20amp charger?

Does anyone have any generator recommendations that I can find one second hand affordable enough? (One that's been regularly serviced of course)

For the price of the Honda you could buy a Kipor IG2600 suitcase inverter/generator with three times the power ouput. You could then run up to a 100 amp charger with no worries.

Sorry it's a 45amp charger.

So if I went for a Honda EU10i, would you recommend a 20amp charger?

Does anyone have any generator recommendations that I can find one second hand affordable enough? (One that's been regularly serviced of course)

I have an EU10i successfully powering a Sterling 40A charger with no problems. I get the 'feeling' it would manage 45 too, if the charger was a good one with a bit of 'soft start' ability.

Edited by Loafer

Wondering if this could be a not good make of charger as well

Seems pretty good to me. I've had Sterling chargers for 8 years, Victron for 3, and I've had both my Victrons go bang. (One of those may have been 10 years old though)

Edited by Loafer