Confused about my Barrus Shire

Humblespud

Featured Posts

Hi, my engine is a 3 cylinder Barrus Shire 2001 vintage, where does Yanmar fit in? Is that the actual maker, and BS the distributor? Or is BS part of the Yanmar group? I thought we had a japanese engine, yet BS seems to be a UK company. I need enlightening :)

My Kubota (Beta 43) will start without heat above 0c but runs really badly for the first few seconds.

On balance it probably uses less battery power using the heater than it does cranking for longer which is why I use it. It only needs a few seconds of heat.

Added - above about 15c it doesn't need heat.

Edited by Chewbacka

My Kubota (Beta 43) will start without heat above 0c but runs really badly for the first few seconds.

On balance it probably uses less battery power using the heater than it does cranking for longer which is why I use it. It only needs a few seconds of heat.

Added - above about 15c it doesn't need heat.

Interesting, how many hours does it have on it, and which core engine?

Yup the core engine is made by Yanmar in Japan. Barrus is a small company that imports the engine and adapts it for use in a boat.

It's the same with Beta, who import kubota engines and "marinise" them.

Not sure where the "small" comes into it?

I visited them when I purchased a Victory m/cycle which they distributed at the time and they looked on the big side to me being the importers/distributers of many "brands" in the industrial/leasure markets and a turnover of around £50M !

Do small companies turn over nearly £1M a week? wish I had an interest in it

Regards Ray

Not sure where the "small" comes into it?

I visited them when I purchased a Victory m/cycle which they distributed at the time and they looked on the big side to me being the importers/distributers of many "brands" in the industrial/leasure markets and a turnover of around £50M !

Do small companies turn over nearly £1M a week? wish I had an interest in it

Regards Ray

Ok well let me rephrase that, "small compared to Yanmar or Kubota".

Interestingly our kubota with 2000 hrs requires no heat to start instantly even in the dead of winter. Perhaps it depends on the era of the engine?

I was going by our old Kubota diggers we use to run about mid 90s they would start first time unless it was very cold then heat would be needed or lots of cranking then lumpy for a minute or so, one had 3500 hours the other 5000 hours showing when we sold them.

Neil

Neil

V2003 base engine with about 600 hours.

I suggest there is something not quite right with it then. Ours starts in the coldest weather (unheated engine room right at the back, though perhaps not as cold as a cruiser stern) without the heaters, fires after about 1 second and runs perfectly from the outset.