Ahhhhhhh!

Tecka

Featured Posts

Went to collect the boat today, very excited on the way. The plan was a couple of hours cruise to where I was going to load my gear.

Engine turned but wouldn't start, phoned the broker who sent someone down. Still no go. The broker couldn't get the owner on the phone but will get in touch tomorrow. First night on the boat abandoned and a pretty depressing drive back to my parents (my welcome is also running out here)

I must admit to quite a period of thinking f#@! it, it's not worth the bother but I'm okay now.

I guess that's what holding accounts are for.

Sounds like glow plugs haven't been turned on, or for long enough. Various boats have different ways to activate them, for example turning the key the other way; or holding it somewhere vaguely in between "ignition on" and "start" position etc. A voltmeter with croc clips in the appropriate place will show their activation. Or that the engine starts.

Sounds like glow plugs haven't been turned on, or for long enough. Various boats have different ways to activate them, for example turning the key the other way; or holding it somewhere vaguely in between "ignition on" and "start" position etc. A voltmeter with croc clips in the appropriate place will show their activation. Or that the engine starts.

Might not have heater plugs.

It fired a little, tried every permeation of key position. The guy that came is someone who moved the boat previously from workshop to marina so would know any special tricks. On survey an engine issue (starvation) was picked up. The best words I've ever spoken I think were 'I'll pay the offer as made so long as the engine is running properly'

Overall there was 10 gallon of water in with the diesel, so that was cleaned out and a full tank of diesel is now in there.

When it wouldn't fire the chap that came tried bleeding the system and all seemed okay but no diesel is coming through the injectors.

How far are you from the boat,is it on the Grand Union,Lee and Stort

The boat is on the Trent and Mersey at Kings Bromley Marina, I'm in Wednesbury now (it was getting mightily cold)

Thats too bad when you had got yourself all ready to go...Im sure your parents don't mind really...good luck..tomorrows another day

They don't mind at all, me minding is another matter biggrin.png

No (to easy start question), tbh, I kind of left it to the brokers guy as much as I could. My offer was based on a running boat and my money isn't leaving the holding account until that's what I have.

There were other little snaggy bits I could have been awkward about on the survey and wasn't but was very clear on the engine and fuel system.

Not that I don't appreciate the advice, I'm not naive enough to think I'll never need it at some point.........

ETA, clarification on response because you guys type quick wink.png

Edited by Tecka

10 gallons of water is a lot. The boat has either sunk at some point, or the fuel filler is-was leaking in a lot of rain water or someone has mistaken the fuel filler for the water filler or sabotage.

Check the engine and gearbox oils too for water, white emulsion and batteries for overflowing.

Edited by bizzard

Ok no worries, I assumed you'd completed the purchase and was stuck with it! Do you ever watch Wheeler Dealers - this could be a £1 part and an opportunity to negotiate £1000 off the price.....

No, the broker was clear that the engine needs to be running before money goes anywhere. Interesting thought on money but so long as its running fine I'll be happy.

10 gallons of water is a lot. The boat has either sunk at some point, or the fuel filler is-was leaking in a lot of rain water or someone has mistaken the fuel filler for the water filler or sabotage.

There are two filler points (separate tank for stove) so mistake not beyond the realms of possibility. No water damage internally so don't think its been underwater. Unfortunately the latter is always a possibility in this day and age sad.png

No, the broker was clear that the engine needs to be running before money goes anywhere. Interesting thought on money but so long as its running fine I'll be happy.

There are two filler points (separate tank for stove) so mistake not beyond the realms of possibility. No water damage internally so don't think its been underwater. Unfortunately the latter is always a possibility in this day and age sad.png

Any fish swimming around onboard?

Any fish swimming around onboard?

If you reckon its never sunk it can only really be rain water. Examine the fuel filler and cap very closely and the tank breather and cover with a pot or something if either looks suspicious.

If you reckon its never sunk it can only really be rain water. Examine the fuel filler and cap very closely and the tank breather and cover with a pot or something if either looks suspicious.

Is the fuel tank integral or stand alone?

Both diesel fillers seem okay but I'm going to change any seals anyway. The breather has a built in cover which seemed solid. Out of interest are two diesel fillers something anyone else has - the really strange thing is both tanks are linked by internal pipework as well.

Obviously I can't guarantee it's never sunk but I've seen sunken boats and the state they are in when re floated - takes some serious cleaning and this boat hasn't had that in a while....

I would be asking for a long maybe ten mile test run in the direction you were going to take the boat home, broker driving if all ok then handing the money over,its the least they should offer now there has been a problem, Engine running and reving in the boat yard is not the same as underload make sure your happy before parting with money. Good luck hope all goes well.

Both diesel fillers seem okay but I'm going to change any seals anyway. The breather has a built in cover which seemed solid. Out of interest are two diesel fillers something anyone else has - the really strange thing is both tanks are linked by internal pipework as well.

Obviously I can't guarantee it's never sunk but I've seen sunken boats and the state they are in when re floated - takes some serious cleaning and this boat hasn't had that in a while....

Stand alone tanks then. A largish balance pipe between the bottoms of the tanks? Usually one filler on inland waterways type of boats but if the balance pipe is of small diameter it would make the tank without a filler a slow filler so might have been done to speed up filling. The fuel feed and spill back pipes for the engine would normally be only on one tank.

Edited by bizzard

. Your two tank system is probably set up so the heating fuel will run out without leaving the engine tank dry, so you can still start your boat and get to a diesel outlet to fill up,

. Your two tank system is probably set up so the heating fuel will run out without leaving the engine tank dry, so you can still start your boat and get to a diesel outlet to fill up,

That makes perfect sense, the higher tank gravity feeds the heater whilst it appears the engine can run from either.

That makes perfect sense, the higher tank gravity feeds the heater whilst it appears the engine can run from either.

should also have said the non starting sounds like a result of a huge amount of air in the system, if there was that much water in there it would have needed a complete drain down and fresh filters, I would crack the nut on the lift pump first to see if there is diesel there, then follow the fuel line through cracking unions as you go until you get the fuel upto the injectors