Freddie Heritage - RIP

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

It is with great regret that I have received news this afternoon of the passing of Fred Heritage. A true boatman and gentleman from whom many of us have gained some of our knowledge and teachings from. Always resplendent at rallies with a highly turned out boat, "Lynx" her appearance and shining brass will never be forgotten.

Our thoughts go out to his family on this sad day.

Seen below on the counter with the late Joe Safe at Netherton in 1992 when still working for BW and keeping Atlas immaculate:

gallery_5000_522_173175.jpg

Freddie Heritage RIP

I last spoke with Fred at the Huddlesford gathering in September, he was his quiet, gentle self. I'm sorry to hear of his passing, another lost link with the past. A friend used to work for BW in the 80s and shared this tale at the time.

Fred taped an egg to his front button, entered an uphill lock and touched the striking plate. The egg remained intact with a smudge of oil on the front to prove contact.

This may be apocryphal, I hope not.....if true, a testament to the skills of those who worked the cut for a living.

Dave

Very true

I was privileged to get to know Fred and Sadie over the last few years. Fred really was a true gentleman indeed, always modest and unassuming. I last spoke to them at the recent Stourbridge weekend and Fred commented that he had 'slowed down a bit' (I think those were his words) but he wanted to keep on boating. Very sad indeed.

Regards

David L.

The following is a message from Sadie, Fred's widow:-

It is with great sorrow that I tell you that on 18th November, after a mega heart attack on Monday 16th, Fred died in the hospital at Peterborough.
I was with him throughout his last 48 hours. I have been since last century!
What a marvellously skilled and knowledgeable man he was, and so quiet and modest.
A privilege to know and an honour to be his wife.
Sorry but I am too upset to add more at the moment but do ask for any details etc that you would like to know.
Fred's Funeral will be held on Monday 7th December at 3.30 at
Fenland Crematorium
Knight's End Road
March
Cambridgeshire
PE15 0YJ

There will also be a gathering of remembrance, on Saturday 12th December at 2.00, to be held at The Bridge Inn, BREWOOD, Staffs, ST19 9BD.

Please come along with your memories of Fred and any photographs you have.

• 2 weeks later...

I wont be able to make Brewood to pay my respects this weekend but wanted to share a pic of Freddie, Sadie and H. Foster from Stourbridge weekend 2010.

post-3500-0-68975600-1449679364_thumb.jpg

Freddie was another of the old friends who would drop in for a cuppa at a rally and spend a couple of hours reminiscing and talking about boating, Id sit listening to tales of a time that was gone forever but held so much of interest and wonder to a kid who grew up on tales of boat horses, fights at locks and happenings that would curl the hair of many a modern boater. I was also fascinated by his moustache, for some reason I always thought he'd been on the telly as well because he looked like someone but I could never work out who.

CRA.

I wont be able to make Brewood to pay my respects this weekend but wanted to share a pic of Freddie, Sadie and H. Foster from Stourbridge weekend 2010.

attachicon.gifuncle h fredheritage sadie.jpg

Freddie was another of the old friends who would drop in for a cuppa at a rally and spend a couple of hours reminiscing and talking about boating, Id sit listening to tales of a time that was gone forever but held so much of interest and wonder to a kid who grew up on tales of boat horses, fights at locks and happenings that would curl the hair of many a modern boater. I was also fascinated by his moustache, for some reason I always thought he'd been on the telly as well because he looked like someone but I could never work out who.

CRA.

I think "Dapper" is the word for his appearance. Hell of a boatman