Unidentified network arghh.

talisman

Featured Posts

Im in a marina and use the wifi. It has been good for months and suddenly i am getting , " unidentified network" and " no valid ip configuration".

I have pointed this out and the system has been reset on site. However sometimes i can connect to the internet and sometimes i cant?

I have even taken my laptop and stood next to a couple of the masts with varying degrees of success.

Various people on site have made suggestions but nothing that has made any real difference.

I use a 9dbi Rocket antenna and have ordered a 16dbi directional antenna [EDUP] which may improve the situation?

Has anyone experience of this problem ?

Not sure if I have any words of wisdom, but I have seen similar happen on the marina wifi as well. The wifi signal is good but you just can not get it to set up a route out to the internet.

I had not thought about clashing channels, there are multiple networks that my external wifi adapter picks up from both our marina and the marina on the other side of the canal. I will have a look at that next time I am there.

I have re-installed the drivers. The problem is that its not consistent. Will look at Network Stumbler. thanks. When i google the problem it seems quite common. However there is no easy cure ,it seems. May be a site problem, who knows lol.

Pretty sure it is a channel clash. Just try a different channel. I live in spain and a lot of residents get their internet by wifi so there are many peeps on the wifi. When it happens I just go to my router menu and change the channel. Sometimes it takes a few attempts.

Edited by bigste

Pretty sure it is a channel clash. Just try a different channel. I live in spain and a lot of residents get their internet by wifi so there are many peeps on the wifi. When it happens I just go to my router menu and change the channel. Sometimes it takes a few attempts.

If I am reading it correctly the OP is using the wifi provided by the marina, therefore he is not in control of the channel used.

I have sometimes seen this type of problem on a smartphone or tablet with a dodgy 3G connection where the device gets confused, but with a laptop that should not apply.

What you might wish to try though is to not auto connect to the WIFI but prompt for a connection as it may be flipping between two WIFI channels?