BIT OF A PROB'

ROBDEN

Featured Posts

Got a bit of a problem.

I’m moored in the middle of nowhere with a collapsed engine mount.

I DO have an engine mount and plenty of spanners and sockets.

Unfortunately I don’t have anything to lift the engine up with.

No jacks (no room anyway) and no lifting gear.

Trad stern. Vetus 4.17. Deep and tight engine ‘ole.

Any ideas that I could try?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Rob….

A scaffold pole or similar laid crossways and a rope tied in such a way that you can use something like a windlass to wind the rope up like one used to do with the propeller of a toy aeroplane as a kid. You can get a lift of around 3 or 4 inches with this.

Forgot to say to have some differing pieces of wood to use as chocks.

A scaffold pole or similar laid crossways and a rope tied in such a way that you can use something like a windlass to wind the rope up like one used to do with the propeller of a toy aeroplane as a kid. You can get a lift of around 3 or 4 inches with this.

Forgot to say to have some differing pieces of wood to use as chocks.

Thanks but no scaffold pole handy.

Bit like a Spanish wotsit?

Rob....

I have done this in an emergency using a mooring rope looped around the engine and deck supports on my cruiser stern n.b. The rope was tightened (shortened) by twisting a mooring pin into it which was then secured in the tightened position using another short piece of rope. This held the engine far enough up to work on it, but be careful not to let your fingers get into a position where they could be trapped and injured if the engine fell due to failure of the rig and be aware that if the securing rope fails, the mooring pin will rotate at speed and could cause injury or damage.

Where are you? someone here may have a jack you can borrow

I did think of that but I have tried before to get a jack down there but there just isn't enough room.

I have done this in an emergency using a mooring rope looped around the engine and deck supports on my cruiser stern n.b. The rope was tightened (shortened) by twisting a mooring pin into it which was then secured in the tightened position using another short piece of rope. This held the engine far enough up to work on it, but be careful not to let your fingers get into a position where they could be trapped and injured if the engine fell due to failure of the rig and be aware that if the securing rope fails, the mooring pin will rotate at speed and could cause injury or damage.

I think that I may have to give it a try.

I only need it to support the engine not actually lift it up.

I think that if I can support it, I could then remove the engine mounting bracket.

Where are you - a scissor jack will probably fit - I lifted a Vetus with one last week (the one that sits in my car as it happens)

Richard

I'm on the LLangollen but as I said before "There isn't any room for any sort of jack."

A couple of years ago I had to replace the drive plate. The only way was with a girder across the slider above the engine,

and use a winch.

Rob....

I'm on the LLangollen but as I said before "There isn't any room for any sort of jack."

Not even underneath the output shaft of the gearbox?

In which case - what sort of stern do you have?

Richard

You don't need to put the jack under the engine. You can use it to "pull" the engine up: if it's a mechanical screw type. Even a hydraulic one can pull if it's secured firmly above the engine.

Now that's a good idea. I never thought of that.

If I'm very careful I can see that working as I only need to support the engine.

Rob....

Not even underneath the output shaft of the gearbox?

In which case - what sort of stern do you have?

Richard

It's a trad.

The rear of the gearbox to where the prop goes through the stern gland, this all sit in a very acute triangle.

If one could get a very, very small jack there, there is absolutely no room whatsoever to pump or turn a handle.

Rob....

ETA. I'll see if I can take a photo.

Edited by ROBDEN

In which case, you are going to be putting a sturdy bar across the roof and using a hoist of some sort. I have a very cheap and cheerful lever ratcheting cable thing for this sort of work

Richard

MORE: This sort of thing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Ton-Winch-Puller-Boat-Trailer-Car-Quad-Ratchet-Hand-Crank-Recovery-/281072911521?hash=item41714044a1:g:VCEAAOSwa39UxlWX

Edited by RLWP

In which case, you are going to be putting a sturdy bar across the roof and using a hoist of some sort. I have a very cheap and cheerful lever ratcheting cable thing for this sort of work

Richard

MORE: This sort of thing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Ton-Winch-Puller-Boat-Trailer-Car-Quad-Ratchet-Hand-Crank-Recovery-/281072911521?hash=item41714044a1:g:VCEAAOSwa39UxlWX

Aldi had one of those (similar) for about £10 last month - I bought one to haul some tree stumps around. (I've felled a sequoia of 4' width).

Richard

That's the kiddie. Thanks Richard.

I don't happen to have one. But I know someone that has and will do anything (well...almost anything) for a trip out on the boat.

I'd better get busy on the phone.

Rob....

"Finding solutions is what I do." Eh!!

Well, I've got hair growing out of......Oh never mind.

Rob....cheers.gif .

Petrol - nuff said

Richard

(I hope this mage can be seen) This is what I meant about a lifting from above the engine.

That's exactly how I do engine lifting on a cruiser stern. The jack sits on two L shaped pieces with the cable fitted directly to the crossbar of the arm

Richard

Is there enough room to get a crowbar under the engine mounts, and lever it up?

Otherwise, sturdy plank over the hatches and a jack or winch. I've changed feet on an engine several times by doing this.

A scissor jack would give a more vertical lift there.

But greater risk of toppling, I'd've thought?

Is there enough room to get a crowbar under the engine mounts, and lever it up?

Otherwise, sturdy plank over the hatches and a jack or winch. I've changed feet on an engine several times by doing this.

But greater risk of toppling, I'd've thought?

Screw it down on a piece of wood maybe.

smiley_offtopic.gif This is the sort of thread I enjoy reading, people pitching in to help. clapping.gif

I learn a lot too.

Agreed. The idea of using a jack in the manner described is very useful, and I would never have thought of it myself. We live and learn :)