travelling to Swansea

Pennie

Featured Posts

That is quite a trip, if you go from Sharpness you will not do it in one outgoing tide, I think the problem could be pushing against the incoming tide which is strong even at neap tides You would need a good boat with a reliable engine and guaranteed clean fuel. The Pilots could advise but I don't have a number, I am not an expert but I think it could be a more difficult proposition than crossing the channel.

Have you checked the distance to Swansea from any other part of the system? If you count Portishead as part of the system (debatable) it's still over 60 miles and a proper sea passage, crossing the Channel would be easier (and just as insanewacko.png ). I think the safe answer to your question would be no!

On the other hand if 'The Swansea' is some nervous condition I've not yet heard of then the answer is yesrolleyes.gif

canalplan.org.uk refuses to give you a route, I am afraid.

It does cope (pretty well) with being asked to do a crossing across the Wash, once you have fiddled with the preferences. It even advises you that overnight moorings half way across are not a good idea!

Swansea would be well scary.

Earlier this year I wondered if it was possible to get from Sharpness to Cardiff, looked on the Sharpness Pilots web site and was surprised that they talked about taking boats to Cardiff, fee goes up though. Site and contact details here. I still think Swansea would be well scary but worth talking to the experts.

If you just go to Cardiff when I checked there was room in Penarth Marina and I am sure that you could tie up just upstream of the best rugby stadium . . .

canalplan.org.uk refuses to give you a route, I am afraid.

It does cope (pretty well) with being asked to do a crossing across the Wash, once you have fiddled with the preferences. It even advises you that overnight moorings half way across are not a good idea!

Quite sensibly so!!

The route across the Wash is marked as a navigable route - there isn't one to Swansea....

I'm sure i read Sharpness to Bristol then Ilfracombe to Swansea is possible and i believe it has been done in narrow boat Progress, then it went up the coast to North Wales and took on the Menai Straits. r

You can do Tarleton to Glasson Dock by going down the Ribble and up the coast......... and don't forget what they did in Narrow Dog......... and I think I recall a narrowboat doing Ireland to Scotland a few years ago too....