Liveaboard cats in winter

She25

Featured Posts

Looking forward to my second winter on the boat. My two cats love the life and sometimes get a bit excited, going for an unexpected swim. I'm in a marina, and they can get themselves out via the shallow sides or claw themselves up onto the boat if it's the other end.

However I'm a bit concerned about them doing the same once the marina has frozen - one fell in last winter, making a hole in the ice and not able to swim or get purchase. Luckily she did manage to grab a neighbouring boat before the cold shocked her too much, but as I'm out at work all day I don't want to keep them shut in. I'd appreciate any tips on how others manage this problem?

Cats actually have a few (Wile E.) coyote genes in them. They often don't realize until it's too late that gravity is on 24/7/365.

Agreed. It generally happens when

a) walking one direction down the gunwhale and deciding to turn around

B) they run out, forgetting which side is land

c) it's inconvenient

Cats actually have a few (Wile E.) coyote genes in them. They often don't realize until it's too late that gravity is on 24/7/365.

100% having watched my cat fail to jump less than a meter from sofa to coffee table.

He also doesn't realise he doesn't have the upper body strength to pull himself up onto the side where the TV is, yet always gives it a good go.

Looking forward to my second winter on the boat. My two cats love the life and sometimes get a bit excited, going for an unexpected swim. I'm in a marina, and they can get themselves out via the shallow sides or claw themselves up onto the boat if it's the other end.

However I'm a bit concerned about them doing the same once the marina has frozen - one fell in last winter, making a hole in the ice and not able to swim or get purchase. Luckily she did manage to grab a neighbouring boat before the cold shocked her too much, but as I'm out at work all day I don't want to keep them shut in. I'd appreciate any tips on how others manage this problem?

get a plank and tie a gallon container to one end tie the other end of the plank to your boat or pontoon the tub will float on the surface of the water giving the cat a ramp to walk up, you can make a few and fix them along the length of your boat

Trade them in for tortoises, which are much better suited to canal boat life. Apart from the far closer match of speed, they're much more resistant to the effects of sustrans tow path 'improvements' and I've yet to see a post about them falling from gunnels (do not confuse those escapee terrapins with lost tortoises). In any case, they look like they could be modified to float quite easily. They're also remarkably eco friendly for an alien species, as they're unlikely to escape and turn ferral and will not fill your engine 'ole with recently deceased native wildlife. A Dandelion leaf diet is cheap and easily sustainable. When they finally depart this mortal coil, they'll already be a family heirloom and you'll probably have gone years before them, so they pose none of the usual upset associated with pets (well, maybe for your grandchildren's grandchildren). In winter, pop them in a cardboard box to keep the frost off and break them out next year for a summer of tortoise filled fun and high jinx!