Tewksbury vistitor moorings and places to stay?

captain caveman

Featured Posts

avon navigation trust have just refurbished the visitor moorings either side of the lock on the avon, there are also moorings on the severn level (CRT territory). The avon moorings are £3.00 per night. pay the very helpful lady lock keeper there is also a water point and hosepipe.next to the lock. if you hold an avon licence the lock is free.plenty of b and b, pubs and places to eat within 10 minutes of the river.

avon navigation trust have just refurbished the visitor moorings either side of the lock on the avon, there are also moorings on the severn level (CRT territory). The avon moorings are £3.00 per night. pay the very helpful lady lock keeper there is also a water point and hosepipe.next to the lock. if you hold an avon licence the lock is free.plenty of b and b, pubs and places to eat within 10 minutes of the river.

. When you say the very helpful lady does that mean Bob the very nice man is no longer the lockie ?

. When you say the very helpful lady does that mean Bob the very nice man is no longer the lockie ?

We were there about a month ago and it the lockkeper was a man (so probably Bob). We moored below the lock for 3 pounds/night.

Its a quiet place to moor given its near the town centre, but be prepared for climbing up the ladders as the side of mooring is probably 4-5 feet above deck level.

Bob the lock has retired ! There's a new man there, & also we saw a lady last week when we paid our £3 per night for below the lock.Work going on to improve the moorings above the lock but no changes below the lock.The moorings below the lock are Avon not CRT-the river changes from Severn to Avon when you turn off the main River Severn.

Trina

Ok thanks for the info is there anywhere you can get off without the need of using the ladders? Wife don't do ladders.

Saying that excuse to leave her on board for the night :D

To avoid ladders I think you would need to moor either on the Avon (ie go up the Avon lock) OR moor in Tewkesbury Marina below the lock.

For the second option you would need to phone first to check price etc.

As others have mentioned the ladders on the moorings below the lock are not trivial!

But do phone the Avon Trust to check, they might let you moor at a spot close to the lock entrance which does not need a ladder. I have seen a boat moored there. That spot used to be reserved for a trip boat from Upton which I suspect doesn't run any more.

But do phone the Avon Trust to check, they might let you moor at a spot close to the lock entrance which does not need a ladder. I have seen a boat moored there. That spot used to be reserved for a trip boat from Upton which I suspect doesn't run any more.

The pontoon mooring below the lock was used by a large hotel boat when we were there a month ago and IIRC was signed to the effect that it was reserved. It may not run all year though.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there about a month ago and it the lockkeper was a man (so probably Bob). We moored below the lock for 3 pounds/night.

Its a quiet place to moor given its near the town centre, but be prepared for climbing up the ladders as the side of mooring is probably 4-5 feet above deck level.

Not either side above the lock you don't.

Not either side above the lock you don't.

Correct if you moor on the Avon level, before you pass though the lock.

This time of year there is usually plenty of space.

Alternatively, you can moor at the marina. I think it's 10 or 12 quid a night, but for this you do get access to showers, toilets, laundry, leccy, etc.