mystery boat and canal

landlordharry

Featured Posts

a friend came across this photo at a car boot and, knowing of my interest in canals, asked if I could help identify the location.

sticking out my neck I've told her that my contacts in this forum will swiftly tell us not only the location but the name of the

boat, the date and time of the photo and quite possibly the name of the skipper's wife and dog!

seriously tho', can anyone help? I can't even read the name of the boat which might help.

regards, landlord Harrypost-23394-0-53817700-1441987290_thumb.jpg

• Greenie 1

Tricky!

I can't see any balance beams on the bottom gates! Also, there's either some subsidence or else the water is higher than normal and hence overflowing. River rather than canal?

The buildings have the flavour of a River Nene mill, but that is probably a complete red herring.

Presumably the bunting is for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee??

If the butty is Forget me Not the crew may be Jack and Rose Skinner:

ETA Having enlarged the photo I can say with a fair amount of confidence it's not Forget Me Not, but I cannot decipher the actual name.

The cabinside paintwork doesn't look like a Barlow boat either. Also the gent I take to be the steerer isn't wearing a Trilby, also his "mate" looks too portly for Rose Skinner.

Edited by Ray T

As they're clearly not going up the lock into the Erewash, I would think it's likely to be a Fellows Morton and Clayton horseboat, either having the horse shod or waiting for a steamer.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

The location is Trent lock. The boat is in my opinion in early Fellows Morton & Clayton Black & White livery and the name on the cabin side matches the typical FMC layout. The first two letters in the name are "IN".

The cabin rear bulkhead paintwork is not in the usual style of FMC, also the stands and mast may have been painted with decoration rather than the plain mid blue that FMC used.

This could well be a boat brought into the fleet and given a modest paint job to conform to their standard livery.

great response guys! your detective powers and rapid resolution have exceeded my expectations.

If I had seen the original, un-cropped picture I might have ID'd it myself.

my new mooring is at the bottom of the Erewash, 100 yards from the featured trent lock!!

thanks and well done to all who responded,, landlord harry

If the butty is Forget me Not the crew may be Jack and Rose Skinner.

The problem with a boat name like FORGET ME NOT is that it was very popular throughout the country. I have the health registration details of 29 FORGET ME NOT's, of which 26 were narrow beam and only one a motor. I have even more gauge details for boats named FORGET ME NOT, but as this is now deemed to be the wrong name for the boat in the photograph none of these really matter captain.gif