pearson 26 ex police boat

frugal54

Featured Posts

hi all, my prop shaft gland is leaking,it is the double hexagon brass nut type as opposed to the typical 2 stud flange type,it would be easier to upload a photo, as to try and describe it,but anyone with experience of this type of set up could perhaps put me on the right track, all replies gratefully received,

They are Robert Ives 29 shells iirc although I may be thinking of somewhere else.

Robert Ives were patrol boats for Thames Water not police boats. The police boats were more heavy duty with bigger engines.

The EA still have a few Robert Ives 29 launches although some were sold off.

The Thames police boats I know of where built by Toughs of teddington or Watercraft of Molesey.

I haven't heard of Pearson so it interested me.

This is a robert Ives 29:

http://srb-moorings.co.uk/henley-boat-charter.php

Edited by magnetman

They are Robert Ives 29 shells iirc although I may be thinking of somewhere else.

Robert Ives were patrol boats for Thames Water not police boats. The police boats were more heavy duty with bigger engines.

The Thames police boats I know of where built by Toughs of teddington or Watercraft of Molesey.

That's the 'famous' Steve - I mentioned in another post. He bought it some years ago when EA were 'rationalising' their fleet.

It's a great vessel deep draughted with a big prop so has a lot of grunt. I got stuck on a shoal below Reading some years ago and a passing EA launch towed me off - but he did have to pull a bit!

Methinks they have a 2.5 BMC (??) boxed in almost amidships so they purr along. Some years ago they played with electric transmissions in a couple of boats, but I don't think it was a success..

Thats them. I find them particularly beautiful boats

Edited by Barry

I posted a picture of mine a couple of weeks back. Entitled...Colecraft stern gland. Gazza's reply is spot on. I used a pair of plumbers pliers because the nuts are approx 70mm. Douse the threads with plusgas or wd40 the day before maybe. Tony Brooks, I think gave more detail in my thread.

That's the 'famous' Steve - I mentioned in another post. He bought it some years ago when EA were 'rationalising' their fleet.

It's a great vessel deep draughted with a big prop so has a lot of grunt. I got stuck on a shoal below Reading some years ago and a passing EA launch towed me off - but he did have to pull a bit!

Methinks they have a 2.5 BMC (??) boxed in almost amidships so they purr along. Some years ago they played with electric transmissions in a couple of boats, but I don't think it was a success..

Steve didn't actually buy it off the EA :) it was a private sale from a gentleman in Abingdon. I was part of the crew for Steve's first voyage on Willow Brook from Abingdon Marina to Henley. Its a nice boat and handles beautifully. Funnily enough steve put a new engine in it a couple of days ago and the rather nice BMC 2.5 originally fitted is on eBay complete with prm box - all working OK.

He put a Solé Mitsubishi unit in.

Originally (late 1970s or early 80s) they had Ford but may have been Perkins (I think) engines with timing belts. I had an "interesting" discussion with the Deputy Navigation Officer Maidenhead District about what would happen when a belt broke. One did and I think the whole fleet were changed. I think that explains the BMC 2.5s

The boats behind the Fobney waterworks look more like shells to me with no window cut-outs but I have never had a close look.

Originally (late 1970s or early 80s) they had Ford but may have been Perkins (I think) engines with timing belts. I had an "interesting" discussion with the Deputy Navigation Officer Maidenhead District about what would happen when a belt broke. One did and I think the whole fleet were changed. I think that explains the BMC 2.5s

The boats behind the Fobney waterworks look more like shells to me with no window cut-outs but I have never had a close look.

Yes they are just shells I believe.

That's interesting about the engines as I was telling Steve of srb moorings this morning that I thought the BMC 2.5 he took out was not the original power unit as it has a prm hydraulic box and an aquadrive and the boat is from 1976 I believe. So maybe I was right?

I will forward him your text as its an interesting part of the boat's history.

I'm hoping to buy it off him when he's too old to drive it so it interests me too ;)

Apologies to frugal54 - we want to see pictures of your police boat ! :)

• 9 months later...

Sorry this is a very belated thank you to all that gave the advice and bothered to comment,but work and family commitments have dictated otherwise..my boat is coming out of the water in the autumn hopefully after we have caught a few more fish off her.i will try and upload a few photos.again many thanks for advice and comments

Looking at the brochure that magnetman linked to it's described as "original Thornycroft 60 hp engine."

I also see from this photo of Hugh Grant & Danniella Westbrook that it sports a four bladed propellor.

post-3714-0-79463300-1468150749_thumb.jpg

That's a bit out of date as the engine was replaced a while ago.

SRB now has a second Robert Ives this time one of BW's old ones (Verulam I think it was although he may have renamed it)

I think its the one which was at Bulbourne for years.