This might slow some trips down a bit...

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

And I can understand why you would say a simple factual statement that CRT would put out constitutes 'a lot of fuss'.

You have well documented form on here for criticising CRT at each and every turn so why would a simple statement alerting people to an issue be construed by you as nothing else?

You're completely missing the point. This minor problem could have fixed immediately after occurring without any need for a Statement being issued, and in fact, in less time than it would have taken to produce and issue the Statement.

My criticism is of the reaction to the existence of the problem. Instead of fixing it, the preferred option is to leave the cut empty and impassable and turn it into a PR opportunity.

This is just the sort of thing that will start people thinking that they should get rid of their boats and buy a caravan instead.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

You're completely missing the point. This minor problem could have fixed immediately after occurring without any need for a Statement being issued, and in fact, in less time than it would have taken to produce and issue the Statement.

My criticism is of the reaction to the existence of the problem. Instead of fixing it, the preferred option is to leave the cut empty and impassable and turn it into a PR opportunity instead.

PR opportunity?

You've lost me.

Any good night Tony, Darren Brown is on and watching him he's infinitely a lot more interesting.

PR opportunity?

You've lost me.

Yes, a PR opportunity to put about a load of misleading guff that makes it appear to the uninformed and gullible that C&RT are coping with their responsibilities and doing a good job.

It's obviously working . . . . . on a few people.

Mr. Dunkley;

Could I please ask that you stop using my threads as one of your resources to slag off CRT. This is at least the third time you've done it with my threads which; in all cases have either been a simple question or sharing of some insignificant information which may be useful to others.

I think we all appreciate your complete and utter contempt for CRT and as everyone you are entitled to your views - but I for one, do find your constant bashing of them to be somewhat tiresome.

Please don't take my request the wrong way, I don't agree with a lot of things CRT do or the way they do them. However, I don't set out to trash them at every given opportunity, and do believe some of the employees of the trust do indeed do a good job.

It is so easy to pick out the things that are wrong, how about stretching your thought process and surprise us all one day with a compliment or positive comment about CRT.

Kind Regards,

B~

Greenie Bettie their is more to life than just knocking for knockings sake he needs to get out and enjoy boating more

Peter

how about stretching your thought process and surprise us all one day with a compliment or positive comment about CRT.

B~

It would fry his brain I suspect.

Good post BB.

Yes, a PR opportunity to put about a load of misleading guff that makes it appear to the uninformed and gullible that C&RT are coping with their responsibilities and doing a good job.

It's obviously working . . . . . on a few people.

Well now that Darren Brown has finished.

How about this for a thought?

Publicising (what you call 'PR') the error a boater has made along with the consequences of that error can only be a good thing surely?if it is to help prevent reoccurrence.

(I don't expect you to agree BTW I am just showing how limited your thought processes are here)

Mr. Dunkley;

Could I please ask that you stop using my threads as one of your resources to slag off CRT. This is at least the third time you've done it with my threads which; in all cases have either been a simple question or sharing of some insignificant information which may be useful to others.

I think we all appreciate your complete and utter contempt for CRT and as everyone you are entitled to your views - but I for one, do find your constant bashing of them to be somewhat tiresome.

Please don't take my request the wrong way, I don't agree with a lot of things CRT do or the way they do them. However, I don't set out to trash them at every given opportunity, and do believe some of the employees of the trust do indeed do a good job.

It is so easy to pick out the things that are wrong, how about stretching your thought process and surprise us all one day with a compliment or positive comment about CRT.

Kind Regards,

B~

Of course you can ask.

As for the rest of what you've said . . . . . . I shall continue to criticize C&RT when to do so is warranted, just as I compliment them when they deserve it.

In fact, I was complimentary to them last week after they took quick and appropriate action to resolve problems with Selby lock.

With regard to C&RT employees and their efforts in the face of the lousy management they're saddled with, you should read the contents of many of my previous posts, and the one you've just quoted, much more carefully.

That's a lot of fuss about nothing. It looks like the short pound between what was known as Corketts Two (heading North), the top one of which being the sixth lock after passing Aylesbury Arm coming North.

The pound above it, to the bottom of Nags Head Three, is a lot longer so they can start running water from that straightaway, and then run some down from Maffers (Marsworth) where the Reservoirs are. That C&RT statement either shows just how little they know about the waterways they're responsible for or just how much lying they're prepared to do to cover up the lousy job they're doing.

Of course you can ask.

As for the rest of what you've said . . . . . . I shall continue to criticize C&RT when to do so is warranted, just as I compliment them when they deserve it.

In fact, I was complimentary to them last week after they took quick and appropriate action to resolve problems with Selby lock.

With regard to C&RT employees and their efforts in the face of the lousy management they're saddled with, you should read the contents of many of my previous posts, and the one you've just quoted, much more carefully.

Yes - I can see where your argument lies. I actually quoted the wrong post when referencing your continual and constant thrashing of CRT. I was actually making reference to your first contribution to this thread as quoted above, but quoted one of your later posts by mistake.

Regardless, my opinion hasn't changed in regards to the sentiment of my request.

Thank you

Edited by Bettie Boo

Yes - I can see where your argument lies. I actually quoted the wrong post when referencing your continual and constant thrashing of CRT. I was actually making reference to your first contribution to this thread as quoted above, but quoted one of your later posts by mistake.

Regardless, my opinion hasn't changed in regards to the sentiment of my request.

Thank you

You're entitled to your opinion, and if you think that this particular bit of C&RT nonsense was an appropriate and correct way to deal with a minor problem that could have been rectified within an hour, then I'm afraid you, and any others who share that view, have got the Navigation Authority that you deserve.

If any of the lock keepers, lengthsmen and maintenance gang men who worked on that Section when I, and a number of others, were passing through it weekly with a pair of working boats getting on for half a century ago, were still around today to witness how C&RT perform, then they'd be saying much the same as I am. Despite the growing numbers of pleasure boats even back then, the Junction (GU) was very much still a working waterway carrying commercial traffic and as such it was kept functional, and open, by the same methods and practices that had worked well since it was built. Those well proven methods and practices are now, apparently, completely beyond the capabilities of most of the amateurish managerial clowns who are responsible for running and maintaining our waterways.

In your post #30 you said that you . . . . " do believe some of the employees of the trust do indeed do a good job." , and you are absolutely right about that, but where and when they're able to do that it is in spite of the Trust management, and not facilitated by, or because of it. Do you think that your blinkered support for C&RT is fair to, or welcomed by, those who want do their jobs conscientiously and well, but are consistently prevented from doing so by the incompetence and stupidity of those in charge ?

Edited by Tony Dunkley

You're entitled to your opinion, and if you think that this particular bit of C&RT nonsense was an appropriate and correct way to deal with a minor problem that could have been rectified within an hour, then I'm afraid you, and any others who share that view, have got the Navigation Authority that you deserve.

If any of the lock keepers, lengthsmen and maintenance gang men who worked on that Section when I, and still a significant number of others, were passing through it weekly with a pair of working boats getting on for half a century ago were still around, then they'd be saying much the same as I am. Despite the growing numbers of pleasure boats even back then, the Junction (GU) was very much still a working waterway carrying commercial traffic and as such it was kept functional, and open, by the same methods and practices that had worked well since it was built. Those well proven methods and practices are now, apparently, completely beyond the capabilities of most of the amateurish managerial clowns who are responsible for running and maintaining our waterways.

Gasps in awe.......

Mr. Dunkley;

I suggest you raise your eyes from looking down your nose then you might see the title bar containing the word 'discussion'. It's not your thread. If you wish to keep this to yourself then I respectfully suggest you post on Facebook or somewhere that doesn't contain the concept of 'discussion'.

I find Tony Dunkley's opinions on matters navigation authoritative and salient. I also agree with him that CRT would have been better off rectifying this minor problem than employing someone whose ignorance of the canal shines through to make an irrelevant and misleading press release - to what end exactly escapes me.

I suggest you raise your eyes from looking down your nose then you might see the title bar containing the word 'discussion'. It's not your thread. If you wish to keep this to yourself then I respectfully suggest you post on Facebook or somewhere that doesn't contain the concept of 'discussion'.

I find Tony Dunkley's opinions on matters navigation authoritative and salient. I also agree with him that CRT would have been better off rectifying this minor problem than employing someone whose ignorance of the canal shines through to make an irrelevant and misleading press release - to what end exactly escapes me.

Then allow me to assist.

Well now that Darren Brown has finished.

How about this for a thought?

Publicising (what you call 'PR') the error a boater has made along with the consequences of that error can only be a good thing surely?if it is to help prevent reoccurrence.

(I don't expect you to agree BTW I am just showing how limited your thought processes are here)

(I don't expect you to agree either BTW I am just showing how limited your thought processes are. Sometimes in the clamour to run CRT down people seem to miss the obvious)

It's a discussion forum Heff, meaning sometimes disagreements occur, sometimes those disagreements can be quite vociferous.

Yes, and I'm all for heated debates, or even mass-debates if the occasion calls for it. But I think personal sleights are a bit too much.

Yes, and I'm all for heated debates, or even mass-debates if the occasion calls for it. But I think personal sleights are a bit too much.

It's a lot more 'fluffy bunny' on here than it used to be.

On a more important note, it's 'Derrin Brown' isn't it? Rather than 'Darren Brown'.

Or is Darren brown someone else? (I'm not very good at watching telly.)

Indeed it is Derran. And a good show it was last night.