Gunwale paint.

Featured Posts

Anyone know where I can get some "Andy Russell Gunwale paint"?

I'm heading south on the Shroppie.

None at Norbury.

I've done the prep' only to find that I didn't have any paint left. (I'd forgotten that I used it up last time).

Thanks. Rob....

Andy's "gunwale paint is good stuff.

It's easy to apply, dries fast and doesn't skin in the tin.

It also gives a semi-gloss finish.

I believe that "gunwale" refers to the upper edge of the side of the boat.

However I want my black to go down the side, to the first rubbing strake.

Rob....

This is a techy post! Poor bloke knows exactly what he wants and asks for a source only to be told to use something else. Then someone is pleased that 'Gunwale' is spelled correctly instead of the oft misused 'Gunwhale' and he goes down in flames.

Crikey guys, it's Sunday - relax!

This is a techy post! Poor bloke knows exactly what he wants and asks for a source only to be told to use something else. Then someone is pleased that 'Gunwale' is spelled correctly instead of the oft misused 'Gunwhale' and he goes down in flames.

Crikey guys, it's Sunday - relax!

Thanks Sea Dog but I'm used to it.

I thought the oft used (wrong) spelling was "gunnel".

There are a lot of typo's on the forum but quite often due to peeps not reading it again before posting.

Andafewpunctuationmarkswouldn'tgoamisseither.

And Sea Dog you'll be next with "Who are you to tell guys to relax"

A very experiened boatman told me never to use bitumen blacking above the top rubbing strake. If you paint the gunwales with it some of it will apparently transfer onto your shoes and then make a mess of your deck paint.

I took his advice and bought black semi gloss from Aldi for a fiver a litre. Seems fine so far.

I got my Andy Russell Gunwale paint from Aqueduct Marina, Middlewich Branch of the Shroppie, Church Minshull. I've also seen it at The Trading Post at Higher Poynton on The Macclesfield canal. I found this easy stuff to use. It gives a nice finish and dries quickly. Hope this helps.