Narrowboat Crash Course

brassedoff

Featured Posts

This was the subject of a thread a few weeks ago, CRT were not amused!

I am not surprised nick, i dont know what he was thinking.

ive never steered a Narrowboat just yet, but i know this aint right lol.

Edited by brassedoff

Here is photo given to me by a neighbour of two boats stuck under the bridge at the end of my garden. It as taken in September 1999, and apparently it took the rest of the day to free the two boats.

Ouch, can't have been to good for Shipton's paint job, or the bridge for that matter. Looks like they were equally to blame since although Shipton is mostly through, the coal boat is longer and so I would guess their bows arrived at the bridge at pretty much the same time.

• Greenie 1

Ouch, can't have been to good for Shipton's paint job, or the bridge for that matter. Looks like they were equally to blame since although Shipton is mostly through, the coal boat is longer and so I would guess their bows arrived at the bridge at pretty much the same time.

Yes, the bridge still bears the scars.

Since moving here 17 months ago, virtually every Neighbour I have met has told me the tale, but today one gave me the photo to prove it really happened!

The other anecdote about the bridge that I have heard is of a speeding cyclist having to be rushed to hospital after cycling into the bridge at high speed! No photos of that one though :)

Yes, the bridge still bears the scars.

Since moving here 17 months ago, virtually every Neighbour I have met has told me the tale, but today one gave me the photo to prove it really happened!

The other anecdote about the bridge that I have heard is of a speeding cyclist having to be rushed to hospital after cycling into the bridge at high speed! No photos of that one though smile.png

Ouch poor Cyclists. frusty.gif

I am not surprised nick, i dont know what he was thinking.

ive never steered a Narrowboat just yet, but i know this aint right lol.

In another recent thread, I think you used a word which would perfectly describe the steersman.

Did anyone find out the story behind the video?

A tow path long ranger called russ_hackney from Crt was asking if anyone had witnessed the incident and to email him.

thats what was said on the youtube comments box.

In another recent thread, I think you used a word which would perfectly describe the steersman.

Yerp i think he would come under the nobber catagory.

Well this quandry was running through my mind too, looking at the photo.

The thing is, the South Midland boat is loaded and would not have come to an abrupt stop as 5 tonne Shipton would have.

I think it could equally be that Shipton had almost cleared the bridge hole when the coal boat's bow entered, wedging Shipton in position against the bridge side, while the 40 tonnes of coal boat continued forwards and ground to a graceful halt over 30 ft or so...

Looks more to me like Shipton got to the bridge hole first (just), expecting the coal boat to stop, which it didn't.

(Spelling Era)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

No, not a good idea at Amington. But on the southern Grand Union (ie between London and Braunston) I have often passed a boat that was coming the other way in a bridge hole. The bridges there are plenty wide enough, the most difficult thing is trying to ascertain whether or not the other steerer has the same plan.