Some infra-red canal photography for your pleasure

Loafer

Featured Posts

Tea Break

Our Dog enjoying the scenery at Nantwich

post-19624-0-53848500-1438003171_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your comments. Some of the titles seem to be going awry, but I think you get the drift.

There'll be more when I have time to dig 'em out.

Mrs Loafer is due back today, after a visit to her folks, and I still haven't done the dishes!

post-19624-0-19731900-1438002971_thumb.jpg

Edited by Loafer

Wow , what great pictures, I love

the top one with the steam train.

Thank you 8, that's one of my favourites too. It would have been even better if the engine driver had been waving at the kid, instead of bending over his bacon and eggs on his shovel!

Not a great composition, but I liked the old giffer in the sky, below

post-19624-0-45647900-1438004231_thumb.jpg

Great images!

Thanks Paul.

Don't forget to click on the images, they'll then fill yer screen.

Says me, after just discovering how to post a picture!

Edited by Loafer

I love the sunny afternoon- that would make a great print to hang on the wall

It already is!

If anyone wants a full-sized jpeg of any of these, or those that follow, you'll need to provide your email address. I'll send you a copy without charge.

I don't do this professionally, I'm just a keen amateur and this is the first time I've posted any of them in public.

• Greenie 2

Smashing shots. Were they taken with a pukka infra red camera, a DRSL converted for infra red or is it a processing method?

For the techy, they're all taken with a converted Fuji X-E1 mirrorless interchangeable lens camera (MILC), with the standard IR-blocking filter removed and replaced by a 590nm-pass filter. So yes, it's pukka.

They ALL need processing, because they are just too weird straight out of the camera.

There's loads of info online if you google 'IR photography'. 'LifePixel' is a good place to start.

It IS possible to simulate the effects with good software, but it never quite gets it right. You have to have already filtered out most of the 'normal' visible parts of the spectrum to make it 'pukka'.

Anyone can do it with a standard camera, with a £30 screw-on IR filter in front of the lens. Trouble with that is, you now have a filter that blocks visible light, and also a filter inside that camera that blocks IR. You are therefore left with long exposure times and a tripod.

Having your camera modified enables you to take normal hand-held exposures.

I hope I don't get in the poo here for starting a photography thread on a canal forum, but any photos posted here WILL be of canal scenes. Maybe I'll stop revealing where they were taken, and introduce a bit of a guessing game!

For the techy, they're all taken with a converted Fuji X-E1 mirrorless interchangeable lens camera (MILC), with the standard IR-blocking filter removed and replaced by a 590nm-pass filter. So yes, it's pukka.

They ALL need processing, because they are just too weird straight out of the camera.

There's loads of info online if you google 'IR photography'. 'LifePixel' is a good place to start.

It IS possible to simulate the effects with good software, but it never quite gets it right. You have to have already filtered out most of the 'normal' visible parts of the spectrum to make it 'pukka'.

Anyone can do it with a standard camera, with a £30 screw-on IR filter in front of the lens. Trouble with that is, you now have a filter that blocks visible light, and also a filter inside that camera that blocks IR. You are therefore left with long exposure times and a tripod.

Having your camera modified enables you to take normal hand-held exposures.

I hope I don't get in the poo here for starting a photography thread on a canal forum, but any photos posted here WILL be of canal scenes. Maybe I'll stop revealing where they were taken, and introduce a bit of a guessing game!

THank you for the quick informative response. I was aware of some of it but it was good to have it reiterated.

I'm sure you could sell them if you wanted to, much better that a lot of the "professional" rubbish out there!

My brother keeps telling me that (he's loads better at it than me) but I'm a bit of a lazy ass!

Nicks right, i would buy one Loafer.

am not kiddinrolleyes.gif

That's kind of you, but you may have missed my bit about sending you a copy for nothing. Anyone here, providing I don't have to exhaust my mobile broadband sending out hundreds of them!

Most of them are around 4-8Mb each, distilled from 'RAW' of about 16Mb.

And you'd have to print and frame them yourselves, which I why I'm not trying to sell them, see.

That's kind of you, but you may have missed my bit about sending you a copy for nothing. Anyone here, providing I don't have to exhaust my mobile broadband sending out hundreds of them!

Most of them are around 4-8Mb each, distilled from 'RAW' of about 16Mb.

And you'd have to print and frame them yourselves, which I why I'm not trying to sell them, see.

I will pm you if thats ok smile.png

It already is!

If anyone wants a full-sized jpeg of any of these, or those that follow, you'll need to provide your email address. I'll send you a copy without charge.

I don't do this professionally, I'm just a keen amateur and this is the first time I've posted any of them in public.

Thats really good of you to offer that Loafer, i hope i am not being cheaky in taking you up on it LOL

I pmd you, really nice photo's. smile.png