Featured Posts

Am I the only one having trouble logging out of a session here.? I click on the sign out button, but it doesn't sign me off, just reloads the page.

I'm using Firefox 39 on Windows 8.1, both fully updated. I've had similar problems with earlier versions of Firefox.

Edit to add, closing FF and reopening does not log me off. FF is set to delete cookies after each session.

Edited by John Williamson 1955

Am I the only one having trouble logging out of a session here.? I click on the sign out button, but it doesn't sign me off, just reloads the page.

I'm using Firefox 39 on Windows 8.1, both fully updated. I've had similar problems with earlier versions of Firefox.

No, you're not the only one, and it's very annoying that the sign off function doesn't do just that, unless you first of all delete your browsing history, then, it will sign you out.

Edited by Higgs

I've never bothered to sign out, in fact get annoyed if for some reason I do have to sign in. Would it be better to sign out? and what happens if I don't sign out"

Phil

For me, it's a general security thing. I routinely close all connections when they're not in active use. I've got the browser set to remember all the log in details anyway, so it's just a matter of clicking on the box to connect. Not being able to disconnect from the forum when I want to worries me as it potentially opens a door for malware to be installed behind my back. It also indicates a bug in the system, which leads to worry about what other, more serious bugs there are....

It isn't related to Firefox, I've found that Sign Out hasn't happened for me for the last few days and I use Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7.

Does closing the browser sign you out, I'm not sure? Certainly the wise advice of Roy on the IT Crowd works around the problem:

Have you tried turning it of and on again?

I've never bothered to sign out, in fact get annoyed if for some reason I do have to sign in. Would it be better to sign out? and what happens if I don't sign out"

Phil

In that lays another problem for me. I can't access the listings in View New Contents. It has never been right since the last two versions of the Forum Software. Only this time, there's the addition of not being able to sign out, without deleting browsing history.

I can sign out of every other site I need to sign on to, in the usual way, but not this one.

Edit to add, closing FF and reopening does not log me off. FF is set to delete cookies after each session.

Can you take a screnshot of your relevant settings in Firefox please?

Drat! Setting history to clear all active logins doesn't work either. I need to keep the rest of the history, so I may just have to stop using the Forum unless the problem is sorted out.

Forum sign in is controlled using cookies, not active login. History is something different again, Firefox uses it in a general sense to describe a number of things, and more specifically for Browsing & Download History; and Forum & Search History.

For me, it's a general security thing. I routinely close all connections when they're not in active use. I've got the browser set to remember all the log in details anyway, so it's just a matter of clicking on the box to connect. Not being able to disconnect from the forum when I want to worries me as it potentially opens a door for malware to be installed behind my back. It also indicates a bug in the system, which leads to worry about what other, more serious bugs there are....

Unless you share a computer, it doesn't enhance security to clear connections as such. If you share the computer with another forum member, obviously you need to be able to sign in and out regularly etc. Its probably more insecure to set the browser to remember login details. Its not a back door for malware.

Its a known issue, server-side but its something I've personally not been able to solve. Its not a bug though, its a misconfiguration which was applied by the previous website host and which was copied over to the new website host.

I've only found this problem with signing out in the last few days, but it doesn't worry me much especially using the forum from home.

Also, I just tried closing Internet Explorer and re-opening it, and that signed me out, so maybe that would be a workaround on another browser too.

Can you take a screnshot of your relevant settings in Firefox please?

Forum sign in is controlled using cookies, not active login. History is something different again, Firefox uses it in a general sense to describe a number of things, and more specifically for Browsing & Download History; and Forum & Search History.

Unless you share a computer, it doesn't enhance security to clear connections as such. If you share the computer with another forum member, obviously you need to be able to sign in and out regularly etc. Its probably more insecure to set the browser to remember login details. Its not a back door for malware.

Its a known issue, server-side but its something I've personally not been able to solve. Its not a bug though, its a misconfiguration which was applied by the previous website host and which was copied over to the new website host.

Okay. Cookies here are cleared when I close FF, but it may for some reason only be clearing third party cookies.

I don't like stuff running in the background unless I tell it to, and a connection I can't close at will is a definite no-no.

Still, as you say it's a known issue, maybe I'll just have to unsubscribe until it's fixed. Unless I can find a way to tell FF not to accept cookies from the site, in which case I probably won't be able to log on.

I don't like stuff running in the background unless I tell it to, and a connection I can't close at will is a definite no-no.

It doesn't run in the background though. You can close the connection by browsing away from that page on the browser, or closing the browser etc.

Have you checked when you re-open Firefox whether its cleared all cookies?

As I mentioned before, there's a number of settings and I'd like clarity in the settings your altering, to try to do something. Can you post screenshots?

Edited by Paul C

Whatever. If there's a bug that won't let me sign out, as far as I'm concerned, that's a bug that I don't want to get involved with. I've tried disabling cookies for the site, which stops me logging in, and enabling cookies for the session only gives me an error message, saying the logon request is ill formed, then it lets me open the site.

Firefox 39, Windows 8.1.

No problems whenever I close Firefox, wipes everything, history, (set to, not remember history), Tell sites I do not want to be tracked..ON

Always have to sign in, two words, no problem.

Another option while its like this would be to use the private/incognito mode for the site.

I can see it as an annoyance on a shared user computer, but much less of an issue elsewhere. Not to say it should be right.

Daniel

For what its worth, while I dont have a copy of firefox to hand it works fine on the below:

- Chrome on android phone.

- UC Browser on phone.

- Opera on Win7 desktop

- Chrome on desktop.

*Just installed firefox on desktop and that also works fine for me.

Daniel