winding 70ft nb in oxford ?

Blazeaway

Featured Posts

We are about to venture down the South Oxford from Braunston and want to go into Oxford and moor up in the centre for a day or two. Then we need to wind and go back up the South Oxford to Braunston.

Would appreciate any advice on moorings and winding, maybe need to go onto the Thames ?.

If you are put off (I always see these situations as a challenge) by the small space in which to wind below the lock - then carry on down the Sheepwash channel and wind in the large space where the channel joins the Osney Lock Cut. The River flow will make winding easier.

The above answers probably tell you all you need to know, but it may be worth mentioning that there's a notice at the junction where Duke's Cut turns off saying that it's the last point on the canal for winding a boat over a certain length (I think it was 52'?), and that longer boats will therefore need to go out onto the river.

I'm not sure at what point such an excursion theoretically brings about the need for an EA licence, but I can't see them expecting anything off you if you follow OldGoat's suggestion. As EA seem to require that a boater buys a licence the first time they pass a manned lock, and the locks are manned from 9 to 5:30 but can be manually operated outside those hours, I do wonder what someone who goes along the river in summer just moving in the early hours and evening is meant to do about buying a licence...

I do wonder what someone who goes along the river in summer just moving in the early hours and evening is meant to do about buying a licence...

They do it on-line, by post or do not bother.

We recently joined the Thames at a time when the lock keeper should have been on duty, he had not arrived, worked lock and carried on, we then travelled for two day during 'office hours' and was not challenged at any lock for not displaying a licence.

Honesty got the better of the other half and we paid at the last lock, just before we left the Thames.

Far be it for me (as a Thames boater) to condone any sort of licence evasion, the Sheepwash channel is part of EA waters so even winding below Isis lock technically requires a licence so it's no more of a sin if you go to the junction and wind there. Be aware that there are shoals (shallow bits) near the allotments on the far side. EA has done some spot dredging there recently, but as river levels are dropping, you might stir up some mud.

As to those who capriciously avoid paying a licence by boating out of lock keeper hours - be aware that you are spoiling things for other boaters. Licence income pays most of the keepers salaries and with huge cuts proposed in DEFRA's funding, the service will be reduced. Having a flunky operate the locks for you is part of the River's charm - so don't spoil it.

To the OP - if you don't object to buying a licence, consider exploring a bit of the Thames either go upstream where the locks are manual but a delight to operate, or perhaps down to Abingdon. A one day licence give's you effectively two cruising days (it ends at midnight on the day AFTER you purchase it) and it's a chance to explore if you're unsure of what the River can offer you...

Far be it for me (as a Thames boater) to condone any sort of licence evasion, the Sheepwash channel is part of EA waters so even winding below Isis lock technically requires a licence so it's no more of a sin if you go to the junction and wind there. Be aware that there are shoals (shallow bits) near the allotments on the far side. EA has done some spot dredging there recently, but as river levels are dropping, you might stir up some mud.

Not so, as I understand it. There used to be a formal agreement between the EA and BW whereby boaters could legitimately enter the pool below Isis Lock to wind without a Thames License. I'll be surprised if it doesn't still exist between CRT and EA.

There used to be a sign by Isis Lock to this effect IIRC. I think Nicholsons explains it too.

The dispensation does not cover traveling the length of Sheepwash Channel to wind in the Thames proper, as suggested earlier. This would require a Thames license.