double mooring/breasting- are there any rules or protocols

umpire111

Featured Posts

Conversation is always your friend in these cases, tell each other your plans for the next or subsequent days prior to mooring up and then arrange the boats to suit.

Jiggling your boat out is straightforward enough if you have a crew to help bit more difficult if you are on your own.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

thats helped clear things up, chances are i will be on my own mostly i better get over social phobia quickly lol, might do me good.

Thanks Ken,

thats helped clear things up, chances are i will be on my own mostly i better get over social phobia quickly lol, might do me good.

As it is only busy areas when breasting up is required there are usually other boaters available to lend a hand.

You'll find boaters generally very friendly and willing to help.

Ken

Conversation had with the other boat owner when I was on the inside one evening.

Me: Do you mind swapping places as I'm leaving early in tne morning.

Him; what time are you off

Me; Between half five and six

Him; no problem Ill be gone by then

05.30 next morning fire up the JP3 bang on his roof and say

Thought you were leaving early.

He let me out and on my way I went.

Looked back to see a very disgruntled couple in their dressing gowns one holding the centre rope the other banging in pins...... :)

Moral is if the man says he is off early don't call his bluff.

As it is only busy areas when breasting up is required there are usually other boaters available to lend a hand.

You'll find boaters generally very friendly and willing to help.

Ken

Thats brilliant.smile.png

Conversation had with the other boat owner when I was on the inside one evening.

Me: Do you mind swapping places as I'm leaving early in tne morning.

Him; what time are you off

Me; Between half five and six

Him; no problem Ill be gone by then

05.30 next morning fire up the JP3 bang on his roof and say

Thought you were leaving early.

He let me out and on my way I went.

Looked back to see a very disgruntled couple in their dressing gowns one holding the centre rope the other banging in pins...... smile.png

Moral is if the man says he is off early don't call his bluff.

hahaha

My father-in-law and I used to moor double breasted on the waterworks moorings in Hampton when they were managed by Port Hampton. They then wanted to build the M25 water pipe and the control office was to be in Hampton. The EA then told us we would have to moor singly because of the right to navigate. So I heard it direct from the EA

That's a completely different matter 'They', since it was that long ago were probably either the Thames Conservancy or Thames Water and they would have cited the 'obstruction to navigation' section in the byelaws.

That's a completely different matter 'They', since it was that long ago were probably either the Thames Conservancy or Thames Water and they would have cited the 'obstruction to navigation' section in the byelaws.

No it was not Thames Conservancy, Thames Water, National Rivers Authority (you forget them) But EA

No it was not Thames Conservancy, Thames Water, National Rivers Authority (you forget them) But EA

Ooo - yes I forgot about them - with so many 'owners' it's no wonder the River's in so much of a mess..

But I digress.

All of them used the byelaws, in this case -

THE THAMES NAVIGATION LICENSING AND GENERAL BYELAWS 1993 which IIRC is the last set to be enacted.

[anorak ON]

The only section that could be used in your case (the River on the Hampton side is somewhat narrow) is s.54 which deals with obstruction. All the other sections dealing with mooring are about safety and such like.

Either-which-way, I can see some patrol officer bending the wording of the rules to say 'illegal'. They are much more reticent nowadays since some staff have been subject to disciplinary action as a result of boaters' complaints, so they're afraid to say much. That's a pity (IMHO)

[anorak OFF].

So I don't doubt what you said and thanks for your contribution. It's always nice to have a reasoned discussion!

We always invite boats to breast up , there is only so much room and we should share. Remember a few years ago we were the 4th boat out in the river on the Nene . The inside boat had cats , the next one out had dogs and so did the next boat , our rabbit doesn't need to get off , so we were put on the outside . All arranged to leave at half hour intervals the next morning . Bunny