Affordable training for newbies

Lily Rose

Featured Posts

It's certainly the only way you'll learn the various foibles of your boat (something that NO "expert" will be able to teach you) such as how much engine it needs to stop in normal situations, any "drift" it develops in reverse, the way it feels when everything is running sweet, the way it feels when there's something on the prop... and so on.

It’s certainly true that getting out there and doing it is the best way to learn, but I think there is a place for those who maybe lack the initial confidence to try a short course first. A one or two day course (with a certificate at the end, which may come in useful later on) for some people may be the boost that they need to give it a go.

I would say, however, that obtaining a course completion certificate such as the IWHC is the start of the learning process, not the end. As has been said many times before there is always something else to learn; I have been boating since the 1970’s and still enjoy picking up bits of knowledge about the inland waterways, and how they work. In fact this is part of the enjoyment of the canals and all they have to offer.

Regards

Howard

I think your wife needs training on your boat..the courses held on other boats are not the same.

I did x 2 helmsman courses and then went out on mine. They all handle differently..I love driving in and out of locks getting it just right...but I gained more knowledge on locks with the boat fitter who came with me to move my boat from his workshop to the marina..on a helmsman course you only do couple locks. Is there any way you can get someone to come for the day and stand by her in and out of locks then go down, turn around and back to locks...oh and I was also one of those who would not get on an aeroplane..in fact took me over 20 years to pluck up courage to go back on one after unpleasant flight.

Prior to buying a boat, I had hired and as has been said, with even the very basic instructions you get from the hire co, you can get by.

But when I did buy my own boat, I felt I'd like explanation of a bit more than just the basics so I had a day's boat handling instruction. I would like to recommend the guy who took me, but he has since retired. And while it's true that you can't buy experience, you certainly can invest in getting some good advice and instruction. It benefitted me because the boat handling day was on my own boat, so I was able to relate the advice to the way my boat was laid out.

As for learning from doing, I have done that too, but the fact I was given good instruction in such things as positioning the boat on the water, dealing with wind, shallow water, obstructions, waterways ettiquette, and so on have put me in very good stead. I was also shown how to use my lines and how to moor the boat, safely and properly whether to rings, armco piling or with mooring pins. Judging by the number of boats I see moored rather less well than I was taught, perhaps there are some things you don't learn, just by doing.

From my own experience, the day's training for a newbie was money well spent.

Edited by NilesMI

Thanks to everyone for your input to this thread.

I've been thinking about it all over the last few days. I can't think of much else at the moment and can't wait for the survey to be done so that we can (hopefully) complete the purchase.

I agree with so much of what has been said, including the fact that you can't buy confidence and experience. I also agree that some initial training, formal or otherwise, and preferably on our own boat, would be very helpful to kick-start the process.

If he still agrees, I intend to take up the very kind offer of some initial help from a very experienced boater who has responded to my original post and who moors close to where I hope to moor. After that, and after a further week or three to see how we get on, I will take stock and decide whether or not either or both of us still need something a bit more intensive.

Thanks again for all your help, it's been very useful.

It's certainly the only way you'll learn the various foibles of your boat (something that NO "expert" will be able to teach you) such as how much engine it needs to stop in normal situations, any "drift" it develops in reverse, the way it feels when everything is running sweet, the way it feels when there's something on the prop... and so on.

Yes but a lot of that 'learning' depends on knowing what to look for and how to interpret your experiences. That where experts come in, especially those with the skills to pass on knoledge to oithers - does not always come from 'masters' - that's why apprencticeships used to take so long - just watching a master is not necessarily the quicklest way to learn.

Yes, I went into a pub in Surrey recently too.

I once went into the petrol station on the M4 at Newbury Services. I picked up two packets of crisps and took them to the till to pay.

£3.90 the girl said. I started fishing about in my wallet for the fiver I knew was in there somewhere, when reality dawned. £3.90 for two packets of crisps?!! Yes the girl said. £1.95 each. I decided to leave them. "Don't blame you, ridiculous price", the till girl said...

I can't remember which of Tony Lewery's books I read it in, probably " Narrowboat Painting ", but I think the quote runs

" narrow boating is difficult to do badly, and a skipper would soon acquire competence after a trip or two"

I endorse earlier comments about the individual characteristics of your own boat. Each is subtly different, sometimes more so. There are things I can do with Resolute that I'd certainly think twice, or thrice about with unfamiliar craft. If the prospect is so fraught, is a purchase the right decision? I'm not being negative here, hopefully objective. Resolute will be back in the midlands in August, you are welcome to a day with Gail and I on board, happy to hand over the tiller...but I won't be far away!!

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Just to clarify, the prospect is very much not fraught!

I can't bloody wait to get the survey over so I can become an owner rather than a (very) occasional hirer.

I just need some help to try and convert MrsBeethoven from a passenger to a halfway competent/confident steerer so that I don't end up effectively operating as a single-hander everywhere. I'm not even too concerned about that on the narrow canals, it's more about the broad locks.

And thanks for the offer, though I'm hoping that the arrangement already made with another very helpful forumite will up the confidence level of the missus sufficiently to get us going.

Edited by MrBeethoven