Drones

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

I think the best way is a small video camera such as an 808 #16 with a wide angle lens mounted on a C/F pole is your best bet its small light and cheap. If you want to tilt it use a pulley system.

I've flown Quadcopters from my narrow boat for some time and while happy to take off from one the risk of sliding off or tipping over is too great on landing. I fitted one of my models with floats made from pipe insulation. Four floats 1 on each corner with the axis vertical so it doesnt affect the down wash from the props. I did crash it into the water once when I got it into the dreaded vortex ring effect which occurs when you fly into your own down draft. Its an effect that has killed a few helicopter pilots.

Flying any radio controlled model (even on the Wash) has safety implications and you should be very confident you can fly the thing safely in a variety of conditions and more importantly know when NOT to fly. These things have whirling knives at each corner and should be treated with respect and kept well away from people. The thought of catching one fills me with foreboding, I wouldn't even consider it. DON'T rely on GPS gadgetry to fly it for you, one day it will fail and you will HAVE to fly it home manually.

Top Cat (1000 + hrs r/c experience)

From the article:

"About 400 swimmers drown in Spanish waters every year."

Astounding!

And we spend £300m a year on gas installer egistration schemes to reduce the number of deaths form CO poisoning from about 30 a year prior to the schemes starting to... go on, have a guess...

The Lily drone is your best bet. You get a tracker in the form of a watch and Lily will come right to your hand at request like a bird of prey. It follows you everywhere AND is submersible in water for a set amount of time.

It does look rather neat, but I can't find anywhere that will deliver before February 2016?

• 4 weeks later...

I am quite keen to get some aerial photos of my boat during my summer trips, especially while crossing the Wash.

So: has anyone managed to land a helicopter drone camera on a moving narrowboat, without it getting wet? Which model (sensible prices only please!)? How?

Plan B: use my shaft as a rather large selfie stick, and a radio controlled trigger for my camera

Plan C: helium filled balloon, and a radio controlled trigger for my camera

Plan D: ask the RAF nicely to take some reconnaissance photos - we are going quite close (but not too close) to the bombing range at RAF Holbeach

So in the end

• we used a little Husban, rapidly concluding that attempting to land it on a moving boat (even in a dead calm wind) would be too challenging,
  • and one of the crew took a timelapse video with a Gpro fixed to the mast.

The results can be seen here. Scroll down a page or so, I am still getting the hang of the software you need to process the output from the drone.

I do want a Lily, when they come out next year ....

Thanks for all the advice,