Painting the engine

Featured Posts

I am vaguely thinking (winter job?) about repainting the engine: after 20 years it is looking a little tatty. I would do this in situ, so can get to most but not quite all of it.

Grateful for any advice on preparation, makes of paint, means of application, how to avoid paint getting where it should not be.

Many thanks.

dscf5144.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

That engine needs a good still brushing down with water soluble degreaser. Then a good steam cleaning. You will need to rent a decent one.

Before doing this you will need to waterproof alternators, ideally disconnecting them so water can't get in anywhere. Ditto applies to any electrical gubbins in engine ole.

Any orifice that is open to atmosphere needs dealing with, air filter should be off orifice plugged ditto any sump breathers. You will get more space anyway.. Personally I remove as much ancilliary stuff as possible.

When you have cleaned up as best you can. I'd wire brush any remaining flaky paint.

Paint, brush or rattle can? Your choice. Go to a good motor factors for paint, and materials.

I also tend to use heatproof enamel on exhaust manifolds, usually silver or white. The block? Choose your colour. I notice a lot of modern engines use heatproof hammerite type paint.

Just noticed your preheated plugs, remove cables, and use masking tape to protect plugs, try and protect your starter solenoid.

Ditto for the Bowden cable in the photo.

Actually I've seen a lot worse engines

Edited by larkshall

I am vaguely thinking (winter job?) about repainting the engine: after 20 years it is looking a little tatty. I would do this in situ, so can get to most but not quite all of it.

Grateful for any advice on preparation, makes of paint, means of application, how to avoid paint getting where it should not be.

Many thanks.

Don't think I'd choose late winter, better within Autumn. Before November. Well degreased. Heat resistant paint. Spray can, after masking. Put black bin liners over everything you can and make sure ventilation is good. Brushing is an option, of course. Spraying oil based paint is a problem, because the overspray is sticky. If you can buy the old type autospray stuff that evaporates quickly, use that to spray. The overspray from that is usually dry dust before it hits another surface.

Brushing is probably going to be the least obnoxious, but it is easy to over apply the paint when brushing around fiddly bits. The excess will only collect in cavities and may not dry properly.

Hi,

Actually I think your engine looks pretty good, why paint it - tricky job and easy to make it look worse.

I like a clean engine,but prefer the 'lived in' well used look - it did take you across the Wash!.

l

Thanks for the comments - I think I will start with a proper gunking which I haven't done for a little while; and I may take the rocker cover off and paint that separately. Most of the dirt is assorted bits of grass and leaves that seem to find their way in - I can never find any oil leaks.

I can't see how it's possible to do a decent job with the engine assembled and in-situ.

It's not possible to get all the old flaky paint off in the hard to access places with a wire brush, so how would the new paint adhere properly?

It's why I suggest a steam cleaner